Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll question. Dillon vs mark 7

51 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

If I was starting over, I'd go Mark7.  But I've got my 1050, bullet feeder and RF100 running great.  So, I don't want to start a new learning curve.

LIkewise.

I ran 650s/XL650s for MANY years!  Got an RL1100 when they came out and used it approximately 2 years.  Once I got it I knew automation would be my next goal.  

As I primarily do single pass loading, only 8 Stations on the Dillon were a bit of a challenge to work around.  However, once I saw the "official" video of the DA3000, I knew it was time to look at the Mark 7 Apex 10 and their "digital" auto drive option.

Caught a Black Friday Sale and purchased the Apex 10; fall of 2022.  Set up the 10 Stations per their recommendations; and after a reasonable learning curve I was producing match (9mm) ammo with excellent consistency and ease of operation.  Used it manually till December of 2023 when I caught a sale on the Autodrive along with a free digital sensor.  Purchased the Autodrive with (free) Bullet Sense, digital Powder Sense, and my FAVORITE the Primer Orientation Sensor!  Since I'm loading fully pre-processed brass, don't really have a need for Decap Sense or Swage Sense.

I can 110% recommend the Mark 7 Apex 10 over a Dillon S1050 or RL1100!  The 10 stations, IMO, are definitely a game changer; especially if your doing single pass loading.  And the options to upgrade to DIGITAL Automation and Sensors are truly worth serious consideration if that goal is in your future.  And Mark 7's Customer Service is second to none!

Like many loaders here, I have used Dillon machines successfully for many years!  And have dealt with their Customer Service many times; and found it to be excellent "IF" you talked to the right Rep.  So my post is definitely not to bash Dillon Precision's products!  I just feel they are way behind with their current "commercial" offerings; especially their automation.

Just my $0.02 worth; and sorry for the long post!

👍

I’m really appreciating the feedback.  I have a Dillon 550, 650, and 1050 but really been considering the mark7 apex for a while.  Pretty heavily the last month or two. 

I use both, a RL1050 for processing and a Revolution for loading. If I had to stick with one machine it would be the Revo (or an Evo Pro). Buuuut, the reamer on the 1050 makes it a decision I wouldn't want to be hit with. 

I had and still have a Dillon S1050 and bought an Apex10, which I automated and upgraded gradually. The Apex10 is my primary reload press. I'm a competitive IPSC shooter in Open Division and shoot a 2011 9mm major. So reloading is a critical process. Therefor I still have and will keep the Dillon S1050 as my secondary press for when the Apex10 would break down. Super happy with the Apex10!

On 4/7/2024 at 8:38 AM, StefVanHauwe said:

I had and still have a Dillon S1050 and bought an Apex10, which I automated and upgraded gradually. The Apex10 is my primary reload press. I'm a competitive IPSC shooter in Open Division and shoot a 2011 9mm major. So reloading is a critical process. Therefor I still have and will keep the Dillon S1050 as my secondary press for when the Apex10 would break down. Super happy with the Apex10!

I’ve considered keeping the 1050 as a backup as well.  My machine runs pretty smoothly and I’ve watched a lot of videos on the apex 10.  It seems super well built and will probably be in my near future.  

On 4/7/2024 at 12:37 PM, Zachjet said:

I have a poor man’s mark7(x-10)

I love having 10 stages

When you're too poor to afford the APE.

44 minutes ago, BPSReloading said:

Mark7 Apex 10

This is the one I’m leaning towards.  Do you have anything you would change about the machine if you could? 

@Atlas33Mark7 Apex 10

I’ve been running mine for 18 months now, minimal maintenance, as with any setup. It is updated with any and all primer feed components (free from Mark7, great customer service) I added the tool head LED light kit from Double Alpha. I can’t think of anything else I’d change, the press just works, and it works very well. Single-digit standard deviation 9mm ammo is easily achieved. I load 4.3 grains of AA#2 with a 124 grain Berry’s bullet, consistently get 1075 fps with a STD of 7.6 out of a FN 509 MRD.

3 hours ago, BPSReloading said:

@Atlas33Mark7 Apex 10

I’ve been running mine for 18 months now, minimal maintenance, as with any setup. It is updated with any and all primer feed components (free from Mark7, great customer service) I added the tool head LED light kit from Double Alpha. I can’t think of anything else I’d change, the press just works, and it works very well. Single-digit standard deviation 9mm ammo is easily achieved. I load 4.3 grains of AA#2 with a 124 grain Berry’s bullet, consistently get 1075 fps with a STD of 7.6 out of a FN 509 MRD.

I’m loving the feedback and I think this might have moved to the top of my to get list.  Might keep the 1050 and ditch the 650 and maybe pick up a single for long gun.  

5 hours ago, Atlas33 said:

I’m loving the feedback and I think this might have moved to the top of my to get list.  Might keep the 1050 and ditch the 650 and maybe pick up a single for long gun.  

That’s a great way to go, I have a few Lee progressives for making 45 Colt and 38spl/357 mag. I have the spare tool heads for the Mark7 to do 300blk. case converting, and 223/5.56 loading, just haven’t tried it out yet full scale. I also have 380 ACP for the Mark7 on another tool head, ready to install, just need to make time to run another 2k 9mm then swap over.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends. But dillon has been slowly falling behind more and more on the prosumer model of presses. 

Especially now with the apex 10 costing the same as a new dillon. If I were starting from scratch I'd absolutely start there from a loading perspective. Whether it be automated or manual. 

I've been loading commercially as part of my FFL side business for about 3 years now. 1100 was my first machine. Now I have 5 of them all on mk7 drives 

The good. The 1100 is a tank of a machine. It's simple, easy to adjust and learn. They run quite well until they get dirty/gummed up. I think an 1100 with mk7 drive is the absolute best for your buck on brass prep. I'll never get rid of that setup for that purpose. Even guys loading on camdex and ammoload are still using automated dillons to run brass. 

The main loading benefit I see to the dillon is Super 1050s for cartridges over 308, and even those use specially shortened seating dies to fit (like 30-06). The other benefit is broader cartridge support. For the large majority of users neither of these benefits matter. 

If you found a used 1100 for a deal and only planned to mahual load I'd say go for it. They are very smooth and low impact on your body to operate. 

Ultimately I got weary of automated loading on them and picked up 2 used revolutions last year, but havent bothered to tackle the learning curve and run them. My interests are elsewhere for now and my day job has been very demanding. 

Hope that helps! 

1 hour ago, Dr Mitch said:

What is the advantage of 10 stations over 8 stations?

As I’m out of pocket, I hope those that load “single pass” pistol will give the details!

IMO, 10 has huge advantages over 8!

3 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

Powder check while keeping your bullet seat and crimp separate. Also other possibilities open up for on press QC stations. 

6 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

I don't have any experience with the Frankford Arsenal X-10; however I can give my opinion with regards to the RL1100 and the Apex 10; as I have owned/operated both for single pass loading.

Starting with Station 3 I think the RL1100 offers a very restricted form of using the hold down station to also provide Case Neck Expansion.  As the Dillon back-up rod is a fixed length, the only way to get deeper expansion would be to cut/grind off a few thousands; then re-harden the end of the rod.  Apex 10 has separate case neck expansion at Station 5.

Moving to Station 4, the ever so important Priming Station, an RL1100 provides no standard threads located in the Tool head for a hold down, sizing die, etc.  That can be rectified using aftermarket hold down inserts; or with the additional purchase of an optional Tool Head.  Apex 10 provides fully threaded hole at this location that accommodates a hold down die or sizing die with the decapper removed. 

RL1100 uses Station 5 to dispense Powder; the Apex 10 is at Station 6 with Station 5 being used for Case Neck Expansion as mentioned above.

With the RL1100, Stations 6, 7, and 8 are described in the Manual for (6)"Optional Powder Check OR Bullet Feeder; (7)Place and Seat Bullet, and (8) Crimp Bullet/Eject Completed Reload."

IMO, here's were 10 Stations, as offered with the Apex 10, really start to "shine" as you end up with:

(7)  Powder Check

(8)  Bullet Drop (MBF)

(9)  Bullet Seat

(10) Bullet Crimp

Some have successfully utilized a combo seat/crimp die at Station 8 on the RL1100/S1050 series in order to use a powder sensor at Station 6 along with a MBF in Station 7.  I personally have ALWAYS used/preferred separate seat and crimp stations.

Finally, one of the biggest selling points that swayed me to the Apex 10 was the option to utilize a full suite of digital sensors after automating.  And the most important one (for me)?  The Primer Orientation Sensor that works flawlessly!

Sorry to be so long winded..........but for those that choose to "single pass reload" the 10 stations offer additional important features and peace of mind!

HTHs!

separate seat and crimp and powder check are the biggest advantages to the 10 station machines. But I will never ever go back to single pass reloading. the depriming and priming at one time on any progressive is the biggest failure point, causing everything from small headaches to squibs and broken guns. While slightly annoying to process first, and then load, it's worth it to me. 

While my process may not be considered "total/full" single pass reloading as I use roll sized, fully pre-processed same headstamp brass, I still keep an FWA spring-loaded decapper in Station 2 just in case something slips by.  Also utilize the swaging/hold down at Station 3 for press/shell plate/COAL stabilization.  From Station 4 and on, all are being fully utilized; and producing excellent quality match grade ammo.