Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to Build/Buy Compensated Gun for Carry Optics sub $2,000

Endyo

I've been out of pistol shooting for 10+ years working my 20s and 30s away, and a lot has changed in the firearm and competition scene.

Since I'm basically starting IDPA fresh with the new rule changes allowing compensators in CO and most guys running optics I figured I'd get caught up the right way.

I know the advice will be "shoot what you carry" or "spend your money on ammo"., buttt IDPA is a game and I don't want to compete in a division where compensators are allowed without using one myself (I currently shoot SSP/Practical Irons but plan do go down the RDS path last match there were 4 guys shooting Iron Sights).

I've been dry firing religiously, doing grip and wrist exercises, I just took a practical shooting course from a World/National champ, I'm watching training videos every day, and have 3,500 rounds downrange this month to date. No longer being a broke college kid I have disposable income to spend within reason ($2,000 is the most I'm willing to part with for a pistol, I'm not interested in a true race gun).

Very open to suggestions if you were to start IDPA CO today with what you know and a $2,000 budget for just the handgun where would you spend your money?

About Me: I currently shoot a SSP legal Glock 34 Gen 5, I am comfortable with using a DA/SA or SA, but do tend to lean towards striker fire. I do have smaller hands I'm 5'8" G34 grip without modules tends to run a bit large for me, but I'm used to it.

Wants:

-$2,000 or less

-Left Hand Controls are a Must: Ambi Slide Stop and Magazine Release

-Optics Ready or Suggestions on where to get Milled

-Compensator Ready or Suggestions for aftermarket options

-Has to fit the Box

-Plan to use a Weapon Mounted Light so need some spare weight

-Ergonomic Grip/Options for Grip Tape or Grip Panels

Options I've researched:

-Glock 17 + Many Upgrades + Ramjet Compensator / KKM Compensator / Others for Glock Platform (Glock Overall Weight still a bit low and grip Ergonomics could be better)

-Sig P320 Spectre Comp (Heard ergonomics leave a bit to be desired, Arrogant Marksman actually prefers the AXG Legion recoil impulse and tracking, compensator is very effective, maximizes weight limit with flashlight gets uncomfortably close)

-Sig P320 AXG Legion (Ergonomics are supposed to be great, good recoil impulse and tracking, will be close to but under the weight limit with flashlight)

-CZ SP-01 Shadow + Upgrades (Don't think it will fit the box. My Limited research hasn't found any compensated options, love the ergos, recoil impulse, and aftermarket support. I read on the forums CZ was the highest represented manufacturer at nationals)

-Canik SFx Rival + Compensator (Unfamiliar with platform, looks Glock-ish just more ergonomic, different mags, doesn't look like it will fit the box with comp)

-EAA/Tangfolio (Don't think it will fit box.)

Edited by Endyo

I'd probably get the 5" m&p that is factory ported (competitor maybe, I can't remember the name) and put an apex trigger in it. Not 100% on the ambiness though, so you would have to check on that, assuming it will fit the box

Edited by RJH

Yes the mag release on the M&P is reversible and the slide stop levers are on both sides. 
The new M&P metal spec series sounds like it checks all your boxes. 

Why do you want full ambi? Are you left-handed? You can get an ambi safety on the Stealth Arms platypus and stay well under budget. Here's one I specced out that might fit if the ambi mag catch is negotiable:

Linky!

The grip should be enough you don't need tape. I optioned the competition trigger (2.5-3.0 lbs), RMR/SRO cut, and ambi safety. In IDPA shooting a 2011-style gun the ambi safety is a must. Bull barrel because it pushes the threading back a bit closer to the slide leaving you more room for a comp. There are also options for porting.

A friend was underwhelmed with the metal framed M&P and has ordered the TTI Canik w. compensator.

I would lean toward the ported Plastic M&P, although I don't know how effective the ports are vs a muzzle brake compensator.  I would really prefer a 1911 or 2011 but the price of a nice CO would get out of hand very fast.   

But since you are already shooting a Glock, an even more tricked out Glock would be the easy way out.  I am not a Glockophile but Friend S's G34 IDPA SSP and Friend D's GSSF Un. are pretty darn good.  

I run a Glock 45 with a KKM barrel/comp and a silicon carbide grip job. With a holosun 507 comp red dot, Carver ESP magwell (optional), a stainless non-captured guide rod with 15lb Wolff springs, and Timney trigger. I'm comfortably under the $2000 mark and it fits in stock Glock 34 holsters or open bottom G19/17 holsters.

3 minutes ago, dwbethue said:

I run a Glock 45 with a KKM barrel/comp and a silicon carbide grip job. With a holosun 507 comp red dot, Carver ESP magwell (optional), a stainless non-captured guide rod with 15lb Wolff springs, and Timney trigger. I'm comfortably under the $2000 mark and it fits in stock Glock 34 holsters or open bottom G19/17 holsters.

I recommend getting a direct mill for your red dot as well instead of MOS. I have used several shops to mill in the past but I've been very impressed with Brazen Firearms in Ohio for work on Glocks. Price is right and they do amazing work. 

• 2 weeks later...

You can be almost as cool as me ( except the LOK brass grips installed in the pic)

Shadow 2 - $1,100

Primary Machine milling - $385 after the additional slide lightening it makes weight for IDPA under 45oz. no problem.

Holosun - $350

4 extra mags - $100

Red Hill Holster – 85

Total - $2,020

Brass Grip 3.JPG