Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another .45ACP Powder Advice Question!

Hi All,

I've read a lot of info here but wanted to throw my question out there to tap into the collective wisdom.  

Here's there situation.  I'm an experienced reloader but have loaded very little .45ACP.  I bought a large# of 200gr PC SWC projos that should last me years.  I'll be loading low PF target loads.  I'll be loading on a 750 with case and bullet feeder so I'll be banging them out fairly quickly. Below are the powders I have in quantity.  Which should I use? 

Titegroup

CFE-P

Unique

Dad has about 1lb of 231 left which I've used before but would like to switch to one of the above due to being available to me. 

What say you? 

I used 231 with 200gr LSWC bullets for years. I changed to 700X as it was lower priced, and still use it.

Have you determined a COAL yet" If the bullets you have are, essentially, H&G 68 pattern, a COAL of about 1.245" usually works well, or, at lest, provides a starting place.

8 hours ago, Guy Neill said:

I used 231 with 200gr LSWC bullets for years. I changed to 700X as it was lower priced, and still use it.

Have you determined a COAL yet" If the bullets you have are, essentially, H&G 68 pattern, a COAL of about 1.245" usually works well, or, at lest, provides a starting place.

I do have a COAL although I have it written down in the shop.  I'm using Kings / Better Bullets 200gr PC. They are local to me and give a discount to club members. 

13 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Titegroup

Thanks for this.  I've seen some 'rumors' online that TG might burn too hot for PC bullets.  Have you had any issues?  I'd love to use TG since I have a ton of it. 

Tight group will tend to smoke a little more, however other than that there are no real ill effects.

45 is a pretty affable caliber to load, so I would use whatever powder you had that you weren't going to put in something else, because it'll probably work pretty good in 45

16 hours ago, sujumanji said:

... .45ACP.  I bought a large# of 200gr PC SWC projos that should last me years.  I'll be loading low PF target loads....

How low is your low PF?

My first instict is to go for a fast burning powder. That would raise the pressure enough for a little cleaner burning. My hands down choice for this is Vihtavuori N310. Among the ones you mention, Titegroup looks like it would fit. From what I can find out, it isn't particularly clean burning, though (?)

3 hours ago, sujumanji said:

Thanks for this.  I've seen some 'rumors' online that TG might burn too hot for PC bullets.  Have you had any issues?  I'd love to use TG since I have a ton of it. 

the older cast bullets, used greasy wax,,, then their was a smooth black moly coating, both of these smoked quite a bit with tight group, the newer colored Hitek type coatings not so much...  Might be a bit of smoke, but you will never notice..
Tightgroup will be a bit dirty at lower pressure, however those other 2 are slower and will be even worse I am betting.
Id save the unique for full power 45, good for bowling pin loads. The CFEp is really not suited for 45.
For general 45 target blasting rounds, Id load up the tightgroup considering you have a bunch.. just clean your gun. If you were gonna shoot matches where gun had to be flawless for 300-400 rounds ? Id probably look at AA2, cleanshot, Sport Pistol, 310, WST, 

8 hours ago, perttime said:

How low is your low PF?

My first instict is to go for a fast burning powder. That would raise the pressure enough for a little cleaner burning. My hands down choice for this is Vihtavuori N310. Among the ones you mention, Titegroup looks like it would fit. From what I can find out, it isn't particularly clean burning, though (?)

I typically load towards the very low end of the load data recommendations.  About once a month I shoot my 1911 in my weekly action league.  I have a very light load worked up with 231 that seems relatively clearn burning, cycles the gun fine, locks the slide back, and provides reasonable accuracy.  I think I'll start with the TG and see how it runs.  Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

I tested my Colt Gold Cup with a new kart Match barrel and a fitted bushing.  I put it on a Ramsom Rest at a 50 feet to test a few powders. I used 231/HP38, Titegroup and WSF  with a 200gr swc HiTek bullet. We did make a batch of each with different powder loads.  First we shot 5 rounds of each powder weight,  231/HP38 and WSF gave the tightest group shooting 5 rounds each. We then followed up with 10 rounds of the best of each to confirm.  WSF gave a sub 1' group and the 231/HP238 was slightly over 1".  I know that every gun and every barrel shoot differently.My Kimber with a match barrel like 231. It is what it is, so I keep both powder.

• 2 weeks later...

Well

I pose this thought.

Use what you can get a hold of.  Unique is not easy to find. Whereas, TG, CFE Pistol, and if you want 231/HP38 are all

easy to source right now. The only thing about TG...is sooty to say the least.  Burns hot and tends to scorch the cases.  All cosmetic nothing to impede function or accuracy..

To me 231 and 200gr H&G 68 clone is a match made in heaven for the 45 ACP.  Never seen a 231 load that did not shoot decent. 

I've loaded a bunch of coated 200 SWC's over Ramshot Competition in 45.   It works well as does WST.  

But then so does W231.   

The 45 ACP is such a flexible round to load.   The biggest problem I've ever encountered loading 45 SWCs is getting the OAL just right.   I finally learned that all you need is just sliver of the projectile shoulder projecting from the case mouth, like a thumb nail's worth.   OAL will vary with the bullet design.   

Edited by NETim