Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Green vs red

Cowguy

New to the dot thing, been driving a stick shift for awhile. I like green fiber but am not opposed to red. I think it’s a little easier to stay target focused with green, it doesn’t grab as much attention. I’m looking at 507c just not sure what the difference is going to be.

A pilot once told me that green was better than red for older people when looking at instrumentation. I like the green better but then again I have eye issues and I am 65 years old. If you can, see if you can shoot someone else's pistols with red and green dots to see if you perceive one to be better than the other.

I feel like green washes out for me if there’s trees / foliage / anything else nearby. Red is pretty high contrast and all I’ve ever shot. I like LHShooters suggestion, if you can go to any gun store I’m sure you’ll see both. 

I'm in the older demographic but I like red.  Tried the green and it was fine for shooting steel but the green washed out to much for me on brown targets.  My son-in-law just loves the green.  As others have said, try before you buy.  Best to shoot on different colored targets if you can.  

I like the green.  Been shooting green fiber on production and limited guns for several years.  Bought my first Holosun 507comp and decided to try the green.  I now have 3 in green.

Green, I shot with Red and Green Fiber on Limited Guns ended with green. Switched to Dots tried Red and Green, stayed with Green on my 507 Comp

Its personally preference. I had both but I stuck with red majority of the time. Red stick out the most for me while green doesn't.

I believe green is better if you have astigmatism. My friend uses green cause he is colorblind and cant see red that well. 

• 2 weeks later...

After using a green dot for the last 6 months or so I’m getting ready to go back to a red dot, it seems for me that steel at distance against dirt or slight foliage is hard to pick up the green dot, the red is easier for me to see at distance.

• 3 weeks later...

Personal preference but my eyes pick up red better.  Also keep in mind that green can blend into forestry depending on location and time of year.  

• 3 weeks later...

Subjectively I find the green seems washed out for me. I'm older, shoot almost exclusively in the desert, and still prefer red dots to green. I will admit that my time using red dots far exceeds my experience with green. I could be biased towards the red because of familiarity.