Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Korth NXS 6" 357/9MM

Speedwagon

On 1/16/2024 at 12:34 PM, MWP said:

I’d love to see these companies market to competition shooters. 

Sponsored shooters, vendor demos etc. 

I talked to some of the Team Beretta folks at CO Nationals, because they noticed I was shooting my 92X there, and told them to give me a call if Manurhin ever wants to get into the 8-round competition revolver space.

3 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

I talked to some of the Team Beretta folks at CO Nationals, because they noticed I was shooting my 92X there, and told them to give me a call if Manurhin ever wants to get into the 8-round competition revolver space.

Perfect. Bring them all in. 

6 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

Did they laugh in your face, or wait until you'd walked away first?

16 hours ago, matteekay said:

Did they laugh in your face, or wait until you'd walked away first?

The person I'm thinking of wasn't a shooter, but a Beretta administrator of some kind, and I could almost see the "oh yeah, we import that, don't we?" expression when I mentioned Manurhin.

35 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

The person I'm thinking of wasn't a shooter, but a Beretta administrator of some kind, and I could almost see the "oh yeah, we import that, don't we?" expression when I mentioned Manurhin.

I shot one at IDPA Nats a few years ago. Nice gun, but same sense from their reps: "Yes, this is absolutely... uh... a gun! That we sell!"

I don't see a boutique manufacturer stepping into the 8-shot game when Ruger can't even be bothered to produce more of their version (that already exists (hypothetically)). There's just no market.

22 hours ago, matteekay said:

There's just no market.

It's small but nonzero, and it's not just competitors—going by production numbers, way north of 90% of Super GP100s never see competition, even though they're ludicrously impractical for anything else.

In looking at Gunbroker sales, it appears the .357s are going at an almost reasonable $1400-$1500 lately, and the serial number on one looks up to a 2023 date of manufacture—it looks like they dropped a small batch recently.

2 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

It's small but nonzero, and it's not just competitors—going by production numbers, way north of 90% of Super GP100s never see competition, even though they're ludicrously impractical for anything else.

In looking at Gunbroker sales, it appears the .357s are going at an almost reasonable $1400-$1500 lately, and the serial number on one looks up to a 2023 date of manufacture—it looks like they dropped a small batch recently.

Prior to the new batch they were bringing $2,300 to $2,500. Damm I wish I had sold mine. 😁

2 hours ago, revoman said:

Prior to the new batch they were bringing $2,300 to $2,500. Damm I wish I had sold mine. 😁

RM:

I think you are mistaking the 627 in .357 with the 627 in .38 Super.  The standard 627-5 is bringing in from $1100 to $1500 the last I looked.  627-4 from $2K up.  Haven't looked for a while though.

GG

3 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

RM:

I think you are mistaking the 627 in .357 with the 627 in .38 Super.  The standard 627-5 is bringing in from $1100 to $1500 the last I looked.  627-4 from $2K up.  Haven't looked for a while though.

GG

I thought it was about the Ruger Super Gp100. I have seen the 627 38 Super go from $1,600 to $2,700 though. 

12 hours ago, revoman said:

I thought it was about the Ruger Super Gp100. I have seen the 627 38 Super go from $1,600 to $2,700 though. 

RM:

Got it!  Have never seen a Super GP100 for sale anywhere. 

GG

On 1/20/2024 at 7:05 AM, gargoil66 said:

RM:

Got it!  Have never seen a Super GP100 for sale anywhere. 

GG

On GunBroker is where I have seen them and in my safe 😁

4 minutes ago, revoman said:

3 are on GB now from $1600 to $2250. 

RM:

Only three?  I think I saw a few more.  Nice looking blasters but not for me at that price tag.  Not sure what I would be buying and I can imagine trying to get them fixed.  Probably have a minimum charge like $500.00 to open and check the cylinder to ensure it is unloaded.

GG

I've been a gun nut for 50+ years, bought, sold or traded literally hundreds of firearms, pistols, revolvers, long guns and shotguns. Competed hard for 25 years, autos and revolvers.  So I've had my share of playing with just about everything that was out there, and understand the intrigue with odd ball firearms .

Which leads me to the question of, what is the real interest of the super GP Ruger? I can't see where it even meets, much less exceeds anything a S&W revolver is capable of? Is it just to have something different than what everyone else is running, or is there a feature or benefit to it over the Smith I'm just not aware of?

2 hours ago, Vic said:

I've been a gun nut for 50+ years, bought, sold or traded literally hundreds of firearms, pistols, revolvers, long guns and shotguns. Competed hard for 25 years, autos and revolvers.  So I've had my share of playing with just about everything that was out there, and understand the intrigue with odd ball firearms .

Which leads me to the question of, what is the real interest of the super GP Ruger? I can't see where it even meets, much less exceeds anything a S&W revolver is capable of? Is it just to have something different than what everyone else is running, or is there a feature or benefit to it over the Smith I'm just not aware of?

Yes, thanks

2 hours ago, Vic said:

Vic:

Just that some folks like Ruger handguns.  Looks, balance, ergonomics, cost.  A hundred different reasons.  I owned a Blackhawk at one time.  Got rid of it and never looked back.  Just didn't care for it.  When Bill Ruger got on the magazine restriction bandwagon I stopped considering anything made by Ruger. 

GG

On 1/21/2024 at 3:33 PM, Vic said:

Which leads me to the question of, what is the real interest of the super GP Ruger? I can't see where it even meets, much less exceeds anything a S&W revolver is capable of?

There are a couple of engineering choices I think are better on Rugers. The cylinder release mechanism is the biggest one (at least once you put a big paddle on it). I had a 929 briefly, and that was far and away the biggest hangup for me. I think the crane retaining pin vs. yoke screw also goes to Team Red.

The actual action seems easier to reckon with on a Smith, although Olhasso's Super GPs are comparable to the worked-over Smiths I've pulled the trigger on. (Mine are pretty good, but not quite that good, or at least not yet.)

edit: I will say that I bought my first Super GP because I'm an admitted gun hipster and hate to shoot what everyone else is shooting. See also why I don't enjoy Carry Optics very much.

Edited by Fishbreath

On 1/15/2024 at 2:12 PM, MWP said:

I’ve shot a few. You aren’t missing anything. 

We would see more if they were priced competitively with the Smith and Ruger offerings, but I don’t think anyone would be replacing the current popular guns with one. 

I handled one this week for first time, they are undeniably nice, but not 6000 nice.  I can get 2 929's with full action jobs and a pile of moonclips and accessories from Eli for that much...

If they were 1500 retail you would see more of them irl for sure.

This topic harkens me back to a  high school boonie party,  listening to a bunch of pot smokers deep in serious conversation about whether or not a coke can is really red, or we just think it's red.

At this particular time in revolver sport shooting, there is the Smith and Wesson revolver..... then there's everything else.