Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New IDPA rulebook (2024)

matteekay

26 minutes ago, matteekay said:

Yeah, I feel like that was a good inclusion. I wish they had more hard and fast rules in the rest of the rulebook.

Yeah, I much prefer a measurement I can check before a match vs showing up and relying on what equipment check guy things is suitable for all day carry. Even more so when my actual carry gear (AIWB) isn't allowed at 90% of the clubs here anyway. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Yeah, I much prefer a measurement I can check before a match vs showing up and relying on what equipment check guy things is suitable for all day carry. Even more so when my actual carry gear (AIWB) isn't allowed at 90% of the clubs here anyway. 

Isn't that wild? Same here; both of my home clubs before I moved would up allowing it but no one out here does. Is it because most of HQ is too rotund to carry appendix? Look, I'm just sayin'... maybe.

17 hours ago, matteekay said:

Really? I thought the holster rules were some of the better-written ones (not that that's saying much...). It's section 8.5 in the 2024 rulebook. 

What's your question?

I was confused about what "suitable for all day carry" means now in light of all the other restrictions.  I remember decades ago when they wouldn't even allow an Uncle Mike's Kydex because it was too far from the belt.  If a normal kydex holster is allowed, I'm in.

11 minutes ago, twodownzero said:

I was confused about what "suitable for all day carry" means now in light of all the other restrictions.  I remember decades ago when they wouldn't even allow an Uncle Mike's Kydex because it was too far from the belt.  If a normal kydex holster is allowed, I'm in.

Yeah, kydex is good to go across the board (unless you have it on a really far drop/offset). You can even have knobs now!

15 hours ago, matteekay said:

Isn't that wild? Same here; both of my home clubs before I moved would up allowing it but no one out here does. Is it because most of HQ is too rotund to carry appendix? Look, I'm just sayin'... maybe.

I think locally, most of the clubs MD's have been around a long time. IDPA beat it into them over the years that AIWB wasn't safe for matches so even though the rules changed they're sticking with that going forward. I believe there is only one club in a reasonable distance to me that allows it. In time as those guys step down clubs will probably start allowing it if they continue with IDPA. 

31 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think locally, most of the clubs MD's have been around a long time. IDPA beat it into them over the years that AIWB wasn't safe for matches so even though the rules changed they're sticking with that going forward. I believe there is only one club in a reasonable distance to me that allows it. In time as those guys step down clubs will probably start allowing it if they continue with IDPA. 

I think it's less about the MD's and more about the range.

I was the first in the area to let shooters use AIWB because it was a private range and the owner wasn't a fudd (his take was "Sounds fine - just tell them they're not allowed to sue if they shoot themselves in the nuts"). My other match was at a club, which means everything had to be approved by a BOD - all of whom were social security eligible, so it was a much harder sell.

1 hour ago, matteekay said:

I think it's less about the MD's and more about the range.

I was the first in the area to let shooters use AIWB because it was a private range and the owner wasn't a fudd (his take was "Sounds fine - just tell them they're not allowed to sue if they shoot themselves in the nuts"). My other match was at a club, which means everything had to be approved by a BOD - all of whom were social security eligible, so it was a much harder sell.

I'm sure that can be it some too. Several of the ranges I shoot at host IDPA and USPSA. Shooting USPSA you can shoot PCC or run AIWB. But the IDPA matches you can't. One of the clubs always blamed that stuff on range rules even when the USPSA MD was allowing it. 

14 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I'm sure that can be it some too. Several of the ranges I shoot at host IDPA and USPSA. Shooting USPSA you can shoot PCC or run AIWB. But the IDPA matches you can't. One of the clubs always blamed that stuff on range rules even when the USPSA MD was allowing it. 

Ah, see, that's 100% the MD then.

On 4/25/2024 at 8:39 AM, Racinready300ex said:

8.5.1.1  Must be suitable for all day concealed carry

The "concealed" part is what caused heartburn when I saw a holster challenged at a major last year. Some of us would not think of a holster with a 1" spacer sticking it out farther for a more comfortable draw as being suitable for concealed carry. 

I 100% agree that measurable is better. 

On 4/27/2024 at 11:26 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

8.5.1.1  Must be suitable for all day concealed carry

The "concealed" part is what caused heartburn when I saw a holster challenged at a major last year. Some of us would not think of a holster with a 1" spacer sticking it out farther for a more comfortable draw as being suitable for concealed carry. 

I 100% agree that measurable is better. 

Our AC had been saying prior to that match we could use things like the Boss hanger just we had to remove the spacers. So there were several from here that went to Nat's like that. I'm sure they'd be annoyed to know others were allowed to do the thing they're not allowed to do.

Which is really the issue with all the rule book vagueness and interpretations. 

On 4/27/2024 at 12:03 PM, RePete said:

Some of the holsters now used aren't suitable for everyday carry.  

I wouldn't carry anything that I currently use in IDPA. 

A local club is starting their own defensive pistol sport to compete with IDPA. They really made it more CCW friendly. They allow 48 oz guns, with 140mm mags with no minimum power factor. Any holster you want and it can be on a two piece belt belt as long as it's covered with a fishing vest. 

Apparently they're idea of CCW gear and mine do not really align lol. 

https://galacticpistolalliance.com/

43 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I wouldn't carry anything that I currently use in IDPA. 

A local club is starting their own defensive pistol sport to compete with IDPA. They really made it more CCW friendly. They allow 48 oz guns, with 140mm mags with no minimum power factor. Any holster you want and it can be on a two piece belt belt as long as it's covered with a fishing vest. 

Apparently they're idea of CCW gear and mine do not really align lol. 

https://galacticpistolalliance.com/

I started Action Handgun at my club, basically IDPA from 2007-2013, before it got FUBAR'd.

My rulebook is 5 pages long.

3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

A local club is starting their own defensive pistol sport to compete with IDPA.

Lots of that going on.  Practiscore shows "Time Plus", "Time Plus (points)" and "Points Down" if you want simple scoring without IDPA angst.  Also "Hit Factor" for the USPSA expats.  

3 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

Lots of that going on.  Practiscore shows "Time Plus", "Time Plus (points)" and "Points Down" if you want simple scoring without IDPA angst.  Also "Hit Factor" for the USPSA expats.  

A MD running something a little different can choose one of the mentioned.  The scoring itself can be modified on the master tablet, once the stages are loaded.  We use 1/2 sec per point down for our Defensive Practical Rifle event and simply follow the mentioned process.