Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ever shoot Shotgun ( SGP ) @ SC match ?

jrdoran

I believe there is a retired Shotgun division ( SGP Shot Gun Production) in SC with no current peak times .

In an effort to broaden the audience and spice things up at my local SC matches I want to invite folks to shoot shotgun for 'fun' alongside their normal SC division & stages.   I allow up to 3 guns per competitor.   I know it is popular elsewhere for knockdown matches;  3 gun; 

I am NOT a shotgun shooter ( though could be );  

- Advice on what size shot ( #7 , I don't even know the vocabulary here ) ( to not harm AR500 plates ) 

- chokes for 35yd targets 

- concerns over safety or RO process 

- string reloads

Good or bad idea ? 

To me it seems like a ton of fun to shoot a couple of stages and make some noise.  I'd probably personally abandon after 4 stages ( my matches are 8 stages )  as my shoulder would be sore and ammo consumption, but that is fine.   

image.thumb.png.23497dac2d38e9dba276cf4e968d253c.png

I used to help run a "Wednesday Night Steel" match modeled after Rio Salado's TNS. The match used static steel targets. We tried shotgun and found that scoring was a nightmare and sometimes you couldn't even tell if the shooter hit the plate or just the 2x4. For match flow reasons, we only painted between squads at most, but even if you painted between shooters, the later string shots made scoring more or less a guessing game. And we went through a bunch of 2x4's!

Several years ago i shot a match with a single bonus shotgun stage.  Man on man style with 5 poppers each side.  Elimination style match.  It was fun but never seemed to get enough shooters.  

Many years ago, one of the local clubs brought out ALL of their steel for a shotgun match.  The reason excuse was to knock off all the rust and paint, then repair any damaged steel.  Expensive way to media blast your steel, but it was a lot of fun.

Nolan

Small shot, 7.5-8’s, a turkey or card shooter choke and a light load like 7/8-1 oz at 1050-1150 fps. Tight choke will put most of the pellets on a sheet of paper out to 35-40 yards and the low velocity doesn’t beat you up. 

1 hour ago, Farmer said:

Small shot, 7.5-8’s, a turkey or card shooter choke and a light load like 7/8-1 oz at 1050-1150 fps. Tight choke will put most of the pellets on a sheet of paper out to 35-40 yards and the low velocity doesn’t beat you up. 

Perfect.   

4 hours ago, Nolan said:

Many years ago, one of the local clubs brought out ALL of their steel for a shotgun match.  The reason excuse was to knock off all the rust and paint, then repair any damaged steel.  Expensive way to media blast your steel, but it was a lot of fun.

I think you just wrote the match description page for me .

15 hours ago, Matt1911 said:

I’d love to shoot that. 
my local steel challenge uses angle iron for the poles so we could shoot all  day. 

We cover the top 12" with angle iron on the wood post;  Hoping that saves most.  My guess is SGP will be a gateway drug for a few of the countryside club members who haven't gotten hooked on SC.

Edited by jrdoran

@jrdoran this video is exactly like the outlaw matches we shot.  Popper going down is the stop plate.

I built the majority of the knock off plates and the spike bases.

no paint.  They have to be knocked off to count.  

some bays were all poppers with designated stop.

5 hours ago, Hoops said:

@shred did you ever shoot or see SGT SC matches?  

They had a shotgun side match in Piru at the SC, but IIRC not on the actual SC stages.  Never shot it, but a friend did well one year. 

Seen it done to get thick paint off plates at TX State SC many years ago (they used paint rollers), but that was not for score. 

We tried it at local SC matches last century, but painting was a problem so they shot last on the squad, as was knocking over close plates (we have steel pole stands and rocky bays) so only a couple people ever tried it that I remember.  I think scoring was if the RO/scorekeeper concurred it was a noticeable hit so no "I-think-one-pellet-hit-it" nonsense.

Several falling steel matches allow shotguns, but the reloads get tedious for most if there are more than a dozen pieces of steel.