Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Use Yankee Hiil Free Float Tubes?

chp5

I like my JP free float tubes the best because they are light and highly vented (so they don't heat up). However, at $150 a pop, they're pretty expensive.

Yankee Hill makes some vented FF tubes like this:

YHMFFtube.jpg

The rifle length tube is about $100. Does anyone use these? Any comments as compared to the JP tube? Does it heat up in practice?

Thanks.

I just put a rifle length tube (the one in your picture) on my 16" gun and it looks very nicely built and designed. The only drawback is that it doesnt lock in position unless you use a rail to attach it to you upper. It does tighten very well but I can see how it could clock with time.

I have a 20" version. It's OK. If you aren't going to mount anyting to the handguard the YHM is a good choice.

If you are going to put any optic or iron sights on the handguard, the new JP V-TAC kicks sooooo much butt I think you should reconsider that $35-$50 differential.

JP currently has the older versions on sale for $90. It's actually cheaper than the YHM.

I have the rifle length YHM tube on my 18", it locks tight enough via a lame locking ring. It feels a bit heavier than the old JP tube. Like RS said above, the new JP vtac tube is so cool :ph34r:

Forgot to add, the YHM does heat up a little bit more than the JP since it is almost solid when compared to the swiss-cheesed JP tube

Edited by PacMan

I have the carbine tube on my 16". build quality is fine, however with the new v-tac from JP, I'd go thataway despite the price difference. The JP is lighter, by a lot, and the approach to mounting rail segments and sling studs on it is much smarter.

I give a BIG thumbs up to YHM gas blocks though. They aren't adjustable, but they just plain install/work without giving you any headaches. I can not say the same about the JP adjustable gas block.

+4 on getting a JP instead. I am almost tempted to get a VTAC one to replace my older style just because it's so trick. For just a few extra buck the new JP is a great deal. The older style JP being on sale for even less than the Yankee Hill makes it a no-brainer here. JP all the way, ferget' the YH.

I use the Briley or Clark Carbon fiber tubes. The Briley weighs just about the same as the regular handguars without the delta ring! They do get a bit warm, but have never gotten to hot to hold onto. Pleanty stiff, and a little less than all the above, but Eric won't approve!! No place for the F.M.D. (mono-pod) :D KURTM

I built my Bushmaster years ago and the upper uses a 16" V match flattop with a hogue carbine tube, I loved it until the end of a long stage and I reached forward and burned my hand. I would love to build a new upper and I was looking at having PRI do the work, their tubes are feather weights but supposed to be really strong and will not rotate.

Big bucks though, about 250-300.00

-NEil

I have 3 YHM light weight tubes and all are great.

All 3 are Spectre length and with low profile gasblocks.

Couple pictures

Customizable YHM spectre length on AR-47 rifle

Ar47_4.jpg

Colt LE6921HB with YHM spectre light weight tube

ColtM4hb2.jpg

11" barreled upper with YHM spectre length light weight tube

YHM11_1.jpg

I use the Briley or Clark Carbon fiber tubes. The Briley weighs just about the same as the regular handguars without the delta ring! They do get a bit warm, but have never gotten to hot to hold onto. Pleanty stiff, and a little less than all the above, but Eric won't approve!! No place for the F.M.D. (mono-pod) :D KURTM

I too went carbon fiber, after being burned by an aluminum ff. Could have done gloves I guess.

Never gets hot, but mounting things becomes a small project. I don't hang things on mine, have a lone bipod stud. (I use a single point sling) For that stud, I followed others who simply tapped a hole into the tube. There's was solid after 4 years of 3gun use, mine has been good for a year. I don't use a bipod often so it really hasn't been tested, but does have a solid feel. If it was to fail, I'd put a support nut on the inside of the tube.

I currently use a Simmons 1.5-5x for everything, but I wouldn't hesitate to attach a short range open sight (ala JP) if I ever think I need it. I'd guess a VFG or a light would go on easily as well ....

I have one DPMS carbon fibre tube also in one of my uppers.

Specs:

DPMS carbon fibre rifle length tube, cut down to mid length

DPMS high rider extended upper receiver

DPMS chromed bolt and carrier

RRA 16" mid length stainless barrel

YHM low gas block (now it has JP-Rifles gas block)

Miculek compensator (now it has F2 stainless compensator)

Colt LE6920 lower receiver with JP trigger group and hammer.

Magpul telescoping stock

Dpmsext.jpg