Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help finding a competition target grip for an S&W L frame 686plus performance model revolver

wanttolearn

Hello,

I recently purchased a S&W L Frame PERFORMANCE CENTER® MODEL 686 PLUS revolver. (https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/l-frame-11760)

In my opinion it's a nice revolver with good balance. The factory trigger action is fair but will shortly merit a trigger/action job.

The challenge i'm hoping to remedy relates to the grip.

My trigger finger (index) protrudes well to the other side of the frame impinging on my support hand fingers when i place the trigger face at the last joint or even the distal pad of the trigger finger (I'm not pressing on the frame). I generally wear a size L or XL glove.

In retrospect perhaps i should have purchased a larger frame platform but i'd like to try and make this one work.

I would like to use the pistol in some local competitions shooting weak hand and strong hand and two handed grasp, we shoot some variations on steel plates, Texas star, poppers etc.

I'd very much appreciate your help, insight and recommendations. 

I saw this question and remembered I had the same issue.,, and was trying to recall what I did, as I have a very similar gun, was first revolver I used alot  coming from 1911's and had the same issue.. Tried a couple different grips, went back to the factory grips pictured...  Just keep shooting and develop better muscle memory, problem will go away. 
Incidently after many years with that 686, I recently bought the N frame 627,,, and guess what,, I occasionally short stroke it. 
Really think I might search for a 5" L frame and shoot classic/ or IDPA with it... humm can you use a 5" in IDPA this week ?

@wanttolearn

I shoot an L frame and wear large gloves. I use the stock grips without trouble. I do grind on them a bit to reduce the finger grips which do not fit me. 

The X frame stocks might work for you. I’ve tried the pachmayr presentation stocks that cover the backstrap and do not care for them. The difference is subtle but noticeable. 

Stocks can be a cheap. Doesn’t hurt to try different options to see what you like. 

Most revolver shooter have a box full of stocks they don’t care for. Wouldn’t hurt to ask around your club. Someone might have exactly what you want sitting in their spares box. 

Re:action job. The revup action hammer is quite an improvement over the stock hammer. It’s engineered so that the trigger pull actually gets lighter as you get closer to releasing the shot. I’m thrilled with mine. So much that I’m waiting on the next run for N frames. See their web site: https://revupaction.com. Or message @Toolguy on these forums. 

I have very large hands also and tried a lot of the grips out there and never found one that worked for me due to them not filling up my grip. I tried the Hogue X frame grip on one of my competition revolvers and now I use them on all my full sized S&W revolvers. The grip is big so it fills up my hands and lets me get a proper grip. After I found it worked for me, I put them on almost all my S&W revolvers including a 686 and my 10 shot 617.  That way I get the same grip/feel on everything. 

Hogue has their BigButts in several styles. I hear that some folks even build them up more with epoxy and some sand or grind them for fit.

Hogue used to offer a service where you could trace your hand and they will tailor fit the grip.

I have the BigButts on all of my competition revolvers including a 686 Plus and a refit 586 Plus.

On 10/20/2023 at 1:51 PM, Joe4d said:

Incidently after many years with that 686, I recently bought the N frame 627,,, and guess what,, I occasionally short stroke it. 

What are you trying to say here? What does it being a N frame have to do with short stroking it?

7 hours ago, Bosshoss said:

What are you trying to say here? What does it being a N frame have to do with short stroking it?

havent measured, but guessing the trigger reach is a bit longer than the 686,,,   

FYI the attached picture is if a 617 K frame laying on top of a 929 N frame. It is hard to get a picture that shows it but the triggers are lined up and if you looked at the grip frames from directly above they are also lined up.

The trigger travel is the same on a K-L-N-X frame and it doesn't matter if it is a 5-6-7-8-9-10 shot gun the trigger travel is the same.

The guns might feel different due to weight and barrel configuration but the grip to trigger relationship is controlled by the grips.

The same grips on a K frame and L frame and N frame will feel the same and have the same trigger reach and trigger travel.

image.jpeg

Late to the party here but just wanted to add, I shoot a lot of N Frames in the games and when I went to my K frame sized 617 it just felt puny in my hand, so I put an N Frame Hogue grip on the gun and filled the hollow area in with some JB Weld, after it dried it was simple enough to smooth it out and contour it to the grip.

Take too much off all you need to do is just add a little more JB Weld and start again !!

After this I "sealed" the JB Weld with some super glue and now I can use any N frame sized grip I want on my K frame.

(If u want better pic's let know and I'll see what I can do, just used my laptop camera for these two)

PS Looking at the gun I took those pics of it looks like I should trim the tops of the ears of the grip a little, I've been shooting this setup the last 2 years and that;'s the first time I noticed it !!

WIN_20231023_14_20_32_Pro.jpg

WIN_20231023_14_20_39_Pro.jpg

Edited by 10mmdave

thank you for that.

I did just purchase and tried the Hogue K,N,L,X, Z frame round butt rubber grip to the revolver.   While this larger grip certainly added bulk to the grip, something is still lacking for me.

It is true that my trigger index finger is no longer impinging so significantly on my support hand fingers. That said the contour and support that i was hoping to experience remains lacking.

Likely i'm used to, and rely upon, the beavertail feel of my semi-auto pistols and perhaps most significantly the locked in, secure feeling i depend upon when shooting semi-autos. In those latter formats i feel that my hands completely and securely envelop the grip to create a fixed unit of sorts.

I just don't seem to find that happy locked in feeling with the revolver. It's nice to learn new things so as always the search continues.

just keep shooting it the way it came out of the box,,  After a life time of 1911's and 2011 I went through some of the same wierdness, and getting away from the thumbs forward type grip.. Revolver just felt awkward, trigger finger hitting my weak hand, etc.. You'll get used to it and it will become second nature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/23/2023 at 11:29 AM, 10mmdave said:

Late to the party here but just wanted to add, I shoot a lot of N Frames in the games and when I went to my K frame sized 617 it just felt puny in my hand, so I put an N Frame Hogue grip on the gun and filled the hollow area in with some JB Weld, after it dried it was simple enough to smooth it out and contour it to the grip.

Take too much off all you need to do is just add a little more JB Weld and start again !!

After this I "sealed" the JB Weld with some super glue and now I can use any N frame sized grip I want on my K frame.

(If u want better pic's let know and I'll see what I can do, just used my laptop camera for these two)

PS Looking at the gun I took those pics of it looks like I should trim the tops of the ears of the grip a little, I've been shooting this setup the last 2 years and that;'s the first time I noticed it !!

WIN_20231023_14_20_32_Pro.jpg

WIN_20231023_14_20_39_Pro.jpg

10mm Dave, i picked up one of the larger Hogue grips as you've advocated.... it has definitely helped with fit/comfort and establishing a more natural point of aim...thank you.

i hoped to get the D. Lauck grips but with a few options for my larger hand dimensions the price became ever more prohibitive....that said, i'm saving my shekels

Edited by wanttolearn

20 hours ago, wanttolearn said:

10mm Dave, i picked up one of the larger Hogue grips as you've advocated.... it has definitely helped with fit/comfort and establishing a more natural point of aim...thank you.

i hoped to get the D. Lauck grips but with a few options for my larger hand dimensions the price became ever more prohibitive....that said, i'm saving my shekels

Hope it works out for you wants, post some pics if you can for the masses.