Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about ordering a custom 2011

ColoradoNick

You are welcome to shoot my Athena at any match we attend together to get an idea of how that shoots.  I had a long discussion on the phone with Atlas about ordering an Athena, vs, an Artemis, vs an Erebus.  I originally bought the gun for 2-Gun and 3-Gun before LO was a thing.  In the back of my mind I thought there was a chance that SA 9mm minor guns would have a place to play in USPSA in the future before LO was even a topic of discussion so I chose the Athena, after those discussions with Atlas. 

I really wanted the Erebus, but the comp would have had me stuck in open shooting minor if I chose to shoot that gun in USPSA.  In the end the Athena was the best choice.

As far as other brands, if I had not gone with Atlas, I would have most likely gone with Venom from the research I did.  Mind you I did not shoot that gun, only heard great things.  MPA was on that list as well, but MPA's rep was not the greatest when I went to buy my first 2011.   From the sounds of it, they have turn things around and the guys I know shooting them love them as well.  

For me what sold me on Atlas is the Alpha Grip and the ability to change the plates on the grip.  I really does enable you to have a lot more contact between the grip and your hands.  They are truly amazing.  No to mention if Atlas or someone else comes along to make even more plates for more grip options.  

Edited by Boomstick303

18 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

You are welcome to shoot my Athena at any match we attend together to get an idea of how that shoots.  I had a long discussion on the phone with Atlas about ordering an Athena, vs, an Artemis, vs an Erebus.  I originally bought the gun for 2-Gun and 3-Gun before LO was a thing.  In the back of my mind I thought there was a chance that SA 9mm minor guns would have a place to play in USPSA in the future before LO was even a topic of discussion so I chose the Athena, after those discussions with Atlas. 

I really wanted the Erebus, but the comp would have had me stuck in open shooting minor if I chose to shoot that gun in USPSA.  In the end the Athena was the best choice.

As far as other brands, if I had not gone with Atlas, I would have most likely gone with Venom from the research I did.  Mind you I did not shoot that gun, only heard great things.  MPA was on that list as well, but MPA's rep was not the greatest when I went to buy my first 2011.   From the sounds of it, they have turn things around and the guys I know shooting them love them as well.  

For me what sold me on Atlas is the Alpha Grip and the ability to change the plates on the grip.  I really does enable you to have a lot more contact between the grip and your hands.  They are truly amazing.  No to mention if Atlas or someone else comes along to make even more plates for more grip options.  

Thanks I'd definitely love to check out the Athena. I shot the Titan RDS back to back with my DWX and it made my DWX feel like a Hi-Point. I loved everything about it! 

Am on the list for Venom and looking forward to when my build slot comes up. Considered an Atlas as most shooters I know have had good experiences with them, but ultimately wanted to do a custom build with a lot of the custom features I want (two tone finish with polished DLC slide, likely an island barrel, certain slide cuts, etc.)

Interesting topic. I ordered my Titan in April and just got it last week. I've been shooting a Sig X5 Legion and didn't expect the transition from the striker platform to the 2011 to be as difficult as it is...for me anyway.  I started shooting with 1911s and always missed that platform and was happy to see the Atlas lineup. I've been shooting the Sig for a couple of years and I have a couple of major matches this year so I'm going to stick with Sig for them and then work at the switch. 

I want to move to LO and was going to use the Sig for a backup but seeing the difference was now thinking Athena or maybe Artemis and use the Titan as a backup and also for IDPA since it'll make weight for that. Although, with the rules in IDPA I'm learning more towards USPSA only. 

As a benefit, I live about 1 1/2 hours drive from Atlas and drove there, felt some guns, got a tour of the facility and ordered my Titan right there. I'm a retired Toolmaker and was super impressed with how the facility is tooled up with all top of the line equipment and personnel. 

On 8/17/2023 at 1:16 PM, whan said:

Considered an Atlas as most shooters I know have had good experiences with them, but ultimately wanted to do a custom build with a lot of the custom features I want (two tone finish with polished DLC slide, likely an island barrel, certain slide cuts, etc.)

I am truly surprised at the number of people buying 2011s.  I will eat my words when I thought that would not happen at the current numbers I have observed.  This weekend at the USPSA match we run at our local gun club and I was shooting PCC for upcoming Nationals, but every LO gun in the squad was some sort of 2011 most of them were from Atlas.  There was one DWX.  There was like 4-5 of them 2011s in the squad.  Maybe 1-2 CO shooters, 1 single stack guy and me shooting PCC.

1 guy bought his Athena locally at Scheels.  I walked into that same Scheels and there was another Titan 9mm RDS for sale from Atlas.  Another guy had just purchased a a 9mm Titan RDS ready from out of state.

It would be cool if you posted pictures of your Venom when you get it.  He makes some sharp looking guns.  If not for the Alpha Grip I was leaning towards Venom.  

I just joined the Atlas party and bought an Athena over the weekend from an Atlas Dealer that had it in stock.  It shipped out today. Should have it in a couple of weeks after gun jail. Now I just have to decide which one I’m keeping for a back up. Staccato P or DWX.

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

I am truly surprised at the number of people buying 2011s.  I will eat my words when I thought that would not happen at the current numbers I have observed.  This weekend at the USPSA match we run at our local gun club and I was shooting PCC for upcoming Nationals, but every LO gun in the squad was some sort of 2011 most of them were from Atlas.  There was one DWX.  There was like 4-5 of them 2011s in the squad.  Maybe 1-2 CO shooters, 1 single stack guy and me shooting PCC.

1 guy bought his Athena locally at Scheels.  I walked into that same Scheels and there was another Titan 9mm RDS for sale from Atlas.  Another guy had just purchased a a 9mm Titan RDS ready from out of state.

It would be cool if you posted pictures of your Venom when you get it.  He makes some sharp looking guns.  If not for the Alpha Grip I was leaning towards Venom.  

I don't understand why you would be surprised about the amount of people shooting 2011s. They are the best gun to shoot bar none according to about 99% of people in the world. Now with limited objects being a thing they are somewhat affordable to buy and extremely affordable to shoot.

I've always felt if you laid 100  guns on a table, and one of them was a 9 mm 2011, it would be by far the most popular gun to shoot by the people shooting the hundred guns. I'm not saying there's realistically a competitive advantage, but there is a definite subjective advantage for the vast majority of people

1 minute ago, RJH said:

I don't understand why you would be surprised about the amount of people shooting 2011s. They are the best gun to shoot bar none according to about 99% of people in the world. Now with limited objects being a thing they are somewhat affordable to buy and extremely affordable to shoot.

I expected people to buy them and shoot them in LO.  I expected to see more of a varied array of of 2011s at various price points.  I am not seeing that.  I am seeing a ton of Atlas guns.  One of the local GM open shooters has ordered an Athena a week or two ago, and the lead time was 6 months from 3 months when I bought a new Primary LO gun once the announcement came out about LO being a thing.  Atlas wait time as of last week has jumped to 8 months.  Like I said I did not expect the rush that seems to be out there.  

If the popularity to LO takes off as it seems it is going to, I cannot see them doing anything to LO or CO.  I see them keeping both divisions as is.  

2 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

If I was buying an Atlas to shoot LO it would be the Athena.  You don't need the extra expense and weight of the Artemis.  I had one and it wasn't the magic I hoped for.  

Agreed.  I allowed a guy on the forum to shoot mine this weekend, and kind of explained the differences that Atlas had mentioned to me about the Athena and the Artemis and after shooting the Athena, he understood what I was explaining.  He said he was pretty much going to order and Athena over the Artemis just on the cost difference alone.  

9 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Agreed.  I allowed a guy on the forum to shoot mine this weekend, and kind of explained the differences that Atlas had mentioned to me about the Athena and the Artemis and after shooting the Athena, he understood what I was explaining.  He said he was pretty much going to order and Athena over the Artemis just on the cost difference alone.  

No doubt.  Put some ports in the sight block and I'd prolly change my mind......

8 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I expected people to buy them and shoot them in LO.  I expected to see more of a varied array of of 2011s at various price points.  I am not seeing that.  I am seeing a ton of Atlas guns.  One of the local GM open shooters has ordered an Athena a week or two ago, and the lead time was 6 months from 3 months when I bought a new Primary LO gun once the announcement came out about LO being a thing.  Atlas wait time as of last week has jumped to 8 months.  Like I said I did not expect the rush that seems to be out there.  

If the popularity to LO takes off as it seems it is going to, I cannot see them doing anything to LO or CO.  I see them keeping both divisions as is.  

Gotcha. Atlas is not huge in my area, though I do see them from time to time. We do have a local builder in the area that builds really nice 2011s though so that may be part of it. Then there's the poors like me shooting prodigies LOL. Another guy I shoot  shoots an alchemy, so at least in my area there is a pretty good variance in 2011s. Also see staccados occasionally

I agree on them keeping lo and Co as is. Even though I think in the overall their hit factors will be interchangeable, I have to come to agree with Moto and think that leaving co as is is the better option so there is a place for the poors to play

4 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

For sure - may be a little while since my build slot will likely come at the beginning of next year

10 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Size-wise the Athena felt like a better balanced version of my shadow 2 as well. The shadow 2 feels muzzle heavy to me. Both the Titan and Athena shot stupid flat, but the Titan feels a lot bigger. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoNick said:

but the Titan feels a lot bigger. 

I think there is something regarding the 9mm platform when built around that 4.6-4.7" barrel length balance wise, weight wise, etc.  

I prefer my 9mm guns in that 4.6-4.7" barrel length.  

Something I don't know is if the Titian RDS in 9mm has a steel or aluminum grip.  

I think we are seeing a lot of Atlas in are area for a few reasons. One Atlas has a exclusive deal with Scheels as a distributor and most of the time the prices for them are even a little better at Scheels then you would get on Atlas website. Also they are mostly available to buy that day or if you are looking for a certain Atlas that isn't at the store you could call a different Scheels and have it shipped within a day. I called the WA store that had a Titan RDS and had them shipped to the Colorado store and had it within 3 days.

53 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Something I don't know is if the Titian RDS in 9mm has a steel or aluminum grip.  

It's Aluminum like the Erebus

Edited by DocMedic

18 hours ago, RJH said:

I've always felt if you laid 100  guns on a table, and one of them was a 9 mm 2011, it would be by far the most popular gun to shoot by the people shooting the hundred guns. I'm not saying there's realistically a competitive advantage, but there is a definite subjective advantage for the vast majority of people

yeh people dont understand the classification system... Let me buy best gun in world spend a gazzillion dollars  so I am just good enough to be the worst A class shooter in the country,,, vs the best B class with my plastic fantastic.
I always say dont worry about your gear,, do best you can with gear you have, and you will shoot against the people doing the same..
A consistent B class shooter with a M&P,,, is shooting head to head with a consistent B class with a 7 k custom STI.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

yeh people dont understand the classification system... Let me buy best gun in world spend a gazzillion dollars  so I am just good enough to be the worst A class shooter in the country,,, vs the best B class with my plastic fantastic.
I always say dont worry about your gear,, do best you can with gear you have, and you will shoot against the people doing the same..
A consistent B class shooter with a M&P,,, is shooting head to head with a consistent B class with a 7 k custom STI.

Why shoot a  s***** gun when you can shoot a $7,000 custom. It's only paper

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

Or somebody could buy a gun they like and shoot it just because they like it.
Or somebody could buy a 2011 just because they always wanted to play with a 2011 and now have an actual division for it.

Or they could buy a gun just because they think they'll have fun with it and want to do something different.

Or a bunch of other totally legit reasons that have nothing to do with getting that next 1% farther up the overall.

wow, you guys butt hurt much ?
Buy what ever you want... Wont make you score better compared to others in your class. can save a bunch of money  and still be competitive without a 7k gun.
with new rules favoring 9mm factory ammo, there really isnt much need for super custom guns.