Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Qualities of a good steel challenge open gun?

BangSwitch

I am considering a custom 2011 build to use in USPSA steel challenge, open division.  Something along the lines of the MPA DS9 DL  - or the old STI DVC Steel Master if you remember that gun.    Since I don't reload, I'm pretty much limited to factory ammo.
What kind of compensator would work with that ammo choice?
What differentiates the different frame mounting optics choices?

STEELCHALLENGE5-1024x1029.jpg

DVC-Steel-17-flat-left.jpg

Factory 9mm ammo varies greatly in the powder used.  Some, like Magtech use a slower powder that works the comp a little better.  During the primer shortage I used factory Blazer 115gr Al cased ammo in my Brazos backup gun.  I simply changed out the recoil system to a 6 lb. variable spring and had zero issues.  It turned out to be more enjoyable to shoot than the custom 1911 Open gun I built with real Open minor loads.  If you are trying for flat, put poppels in and don't worry about the comp.

14 hours ago, IPSCLUVERRR said:

My softest shooting open guns for SC ended up not having a compensator on it.  I do custom loading for that pistol however, 1.8gn of BA10 under a 100gn rn bullet. 

Did that even hit plates hard enough to make the steel ring?

Since the draw is everything in SC, unless you're dedicated to making it your primary, you'll want the same grip as your other pistols.  I learned that the hard way at the big match when my match gun didn't have the trigger guard undercut my practice gun did.

^^^^ This.  Learned the same hard way.  Now, if you blindfold me and hand me one of my Open guns, I wouldn't be able to tell you which one it was.  Same with mounts and dots.  Same on all.

I know your question was about compensator, but you also hinted at it being correlated to ammo choice.   

For steel challenge:  I have used Atlanta Arms extensively in my STI DVC Steel ( stock )  and STI DVC Open with 7lb spring.   It is the closest to a custom load that is commercially available.  Runs about 109pf in the above guns.   I suggest buy a couple of boxes and compare against whatever production ammo you might purchase.  I think you will find a huge difference.  

https://atlantaarms.com/products/elite-9mm-100gr-fmj-steel-challenge.html

As an FYI, the Atlanta 9mm 100gr load formula is Berry's 100gr bullet.  4.0 of N310 Powder loaded to 1.08OAL.   

On 8/9/2023 at 6:11 AM, APL-G35 said:

Did that even hit plates hard enough to make the steel ring?

Very much so. Now, if we shot SC the way it used to be done with pressure pad stop plates I would have to switch ammunition. Since we use audible timers only it doesn't matter how long it takes for the bullet to reach the plate. And before someone complains that a slower bullet will slow down my overall time, I call my shots off of a good trigger press and good sight picture and not the "ding". 

As an FYI, the Atlanta 9mm 100gr load formula is Berry's 100gr bullet.  4.0 of N310 Powder loaded to 1.08OAL

I bought 1000 rounds about 2 weeks ago.  Pulled a bullet expecting to see a Berry's 100gr., but it was a lead bottom .380 bullet instead.  Just an FYI.

4 hours ago, rooster mcbee said:

As an FYI, the Atlanta 9mm 100gr load formula is Berry's 100gr bullet.  4.0 of N310 Powder loaded to 1.08OAL

I bought 1000 rounds about 2 weeks ago.  Pulled a bullet expecting to see a Berry's 100gr., but it was a lead bottom .380 bullet instead.  Just an FYI.

I'll pull one of mine tonight and see what is there.  

The best gun is the one that runs. Get something reliable first. 

Like other have mentioned, if you're running something in Open, get that exact grip at a minimum. I'd even go so far as to say make it nearly identical. I run Shadow 2's in CO and Production so it was simple to run the CO S2 as Open. 

My S2 was probably the 2nd softest steel gun I've shot next to a friend's 38SC SCSA only UltraOldSchool hogged out STI steel gun. I'm not really a fan of comps on SCSA guns. Most of them just seem to make things louder but Karl's rig was magical. 

On 8/13/2023 at 7:39 PM, jrdoran said:

I'll pull one of mine tonight and see what is there.  

My 100gr Atlanta Steel challenge loads were clearly a Berry's plated bullet 100gr. and had no exposed lead. 

image.thumb.png.434dd2a7d87dbb847ddb27dffb0a1b41.png