Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Amy thoughts on Tanfoglio for Open division?

Earthpig

I’ve been thinking of putting together a Domina 9 upper on a Limited Custom frame to run in open Division. Everything I read is problems with the Magazines. Any thoughts? Guidance. Etc. 

Ive own 7 Tanfos, production, Limited, Carry Optics. So Im well verse in working on them. Looking for those of you that have done this Olin the past and were successful. 

Magazines is what drove me out of the Tanfo for open.  I had a V12 and loved the ergonomics of the gun.  Couldn't put up with not being able to get reliable 170mm mags.  Same thing with the Czechmate that I moved to.  That was before MBX added them to the lineup.  If that would have happened about a year earlier, I would likely still have that gun.

Im currently running a buddy’s CK in 9 major with MBX Mags and no issues. The main thing is I know some guys run the Tanfos and just want to see what h setup so no major cash is waisted on bad mags. However I can attest the MBX are awesome for 2011s

I've never run a tanfo, but the MBX 170mm big stick i had for my czechmate was my only 100% functional mag I had for the gun. Other mags I had were factory big sticks that I tuned and 20rds with 140mm extensions.

A bonus that the MBX big sticks were easily 29+1

I ran a Tanfo Open gun I built for a while, 

I fought nose up miss feeds with the normal JHP we see in open guns but feeding was 100% with round nose bullets I ended up running Blue Bullets because cheap but TMJs would be nicer. 

The MBX 170 mags worked good but lack a positive stop so a slide lock reload would over insert, the Taylor Freelance 170 extensions with Grams guts worked great and wouldn't over insert.

Neither of my guns would run major without an extra power extractor spring. I also ran a EGW square firing pin stop to help slow the initial slide movement. 

3 hours ago, shred said:

Maybe ask Grauffel if he has any mag sources... he shot a Tanfo and beat everybody for a lot of years.

Well, don’t have direct access but, I can scout out his online shop to see if there are any Tanfo parts left 😂 

3 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

I ran a Tanfo Open gun I built for a while, 

I fought nose up miss feeds with the normal JHP we see in open guns but feeding was 100% with round nose bullets I ended up running Blue Bullets because cheap but TMJs would be nicer. 

The MBX 170 mags worked good but lack a positive stop so a slide lock reload would over insert, the Taylor Freelance 170 extensions with Grams guts worked great and wouldn't over insert.

Neither of my guns would run major without an extra power extractor spring. I also ran a EGW square firing pin stop to help slow the initial slide movement. 

Great to hear. Anyone have tried Truncated Nose bullets? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I shoot Domina 9x19 and had severe issues with the Tanfoglio big sticks, I solved it by cutting two factory 17-rounders apart and tigwelding them together into a 170mm mag.

Made three of them and never had an issue since, with Grams spring and follower I can get 25 rounds into them which is a bit of an issue on medium IPSC stages. I will order an MBX mag and use for those pesky 24-round stages without a good place to reload.

• 1 month later...

Update.

thanks for the advise.

finally got the gun at final stages. 
-MBX mags work great as long as you close the front portion of the feedlips.

-Mecgar Mags with TF basepads and grams followers are also working well.

- Final recoil spring rate 9lbs with 172 PF loads.

-very accurate gun and returns great.

- Get the Tony System Comp. It makes the gun shoot way softer.

so far so good 

• 2 months later...