Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vudoo gunworks Priest info/review

Akkid17

6 hours ago, EvilNuff said:

How is it a slide lock problem when the followers on the mags are different and it works 100% with one and not the other?

The slide lock is protruding a little bit more and that particular magazine lets the last round move far enough forward under recoil so that the bullet just catches the slide lock as it comes up when the slide comes back, and pushes the slide lock up enough to engage it. That is why Nolan told you to try your friend's slide lock and see what happens.

Just a few strokes with a file in the right spot on the slide lock will solve the problem.

I shot a particular profile bullet (truncated cone) in my .40 Limited gun for years with no problem whatsoever. I had to switch bullets when I could no longer get the ones I had been using, and went to a more rounded flatnose profile. I immediately started having issues with the slide locking back with one round in the magazine (same mags I've been using for years). A few strokes with a file on my slide lock and the problem went away.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, EvilNuff said:

How is it a slide lock problem when the followers on the mags are different and it works 100% with one and not the other?

BTW, if there is still one round in the mag, the follower is nowhere near the slide lock.

Someone misspoke. Its the bullet that puts pressure on the slide lock to activate it prematurely. The follower activates it appropriately.

Mark

10 hours ago, EvilNuff said:

DOH!  posted before reading the rest of the thread. 

The ledge on the slide stop that hits the step in the follower may extend too far into the magazine and hits the last round in the magazine because it's presented at a slightly different angle than the rounds stacked on top of it because it is resting directly on the follower.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

Take a look at the attached picture, on the left is an MBX mag that came with the Priest on the right is an Atlas mag.  Its hard to see but I circled in red the part of the follower that pushes on the slide lock.  In the Atlas mag on the right it is angled slightly more where the front is higher (I didn't have the two mags perfectly parallel, it looks more pronounced in person) and, as best as I can determine, that is the part engaging the slide lock.  I plan on calling Vudoo later today and seeing what they say.

2024-04-02 09.27.39 - Copy.jpg

Talked to Vudoo and they said that they have found compatibility issues with some mags including Atlas.  I am about 95% sure that I could just slightly file down the tip of that atlas mag follower and fix the problem.  If I can find a decent 3d scanner software I might try 3d printing a copy of it and see if that fixes it.

On 4/1/2024 at 4:59 PM, mpom said:

Someone misspoke. Its the bullet that puts pressure on the slide lock to activate it prematurely. The follower activates it appropriately.

Mark

Yup! Pretty much what I said!

11 hours ago, EvilNuff said:

Take a look at the attached picture, on the left is an MBX mag that came with the Priest on the right is an Atlas mag.  Its hard to see but I circled in red the part of the follower that pushes on the slide lock.  In the Atlas mag on the right it is angled slightly more where the front is higher (I didn't have the two mags perfectly parallel, it looks more pronounced in person) and, as best as I can determine, that is the part engaging the slide lock.  I plan on calling Vudoo later today and seeing what they say.

Put each one of those mags in the gun with one round in them and the slide locked back and see if the follower is anywhere near the slide lock! I'l guarantee it isn't! The followers aren't causing the problem.

38 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

Put each one of those mags in the gun with one round in them and the slide locked back and see if the follower is anywhere near the slide lock! I'l guarantee it isn't! The followers aren't causing the problem.

Yes, I think it has to do with the feel lip dimensions causing the round to sit lower in the mag.  The right round is lower and less angled vs the left. 

On 4/2/2024 at 8:38 PM, 392heminut said:

Please go back and read the post you quoted.  I already did that and it is the follower as I said.

The area circled in the picture is higher in the atlas follower than the MBX follower.  When I swapped followers with an mbx follower it works correctly.  It is 100% the follower geometry.  I haven't yet tried it but I suspect strongly that sanding down that part of the follower probably even as little as a mm would fix the atlas follower in this gun.

11 hours ago, EvilNuff said:

I haven't yet tried it but I suspect strongly that sanding down that part of the follower probably even as little as a mm would fix the atlas follower in this gun.

Okay, let me know how that works out for you!

2 hours ago, 392heminut said:

Actually it’s very possible that the follower is hitting the slide stop with one round still left in the magazine and causing the slide to lock back. It’s so common that if you google “slide locks back with one round in mag”, you’ll see a thread from this site from 2008 explaining why this happens. It’s due to the follower design (grams). You can go to bazos custom and find the solution or click the link I provided. I had the same issue with my prodigy when I first got the gun and atlas mags, ended up getting the competition followers for my mags.

https://www.brazoscustom.com/post/lock-back-or-not

Edited by mveto

On 4/5/2024 at 7:50 PM, 392heminut said:

Follower geometry was the problem.  Swapping with the mbx followers and those worked fine.  I 3d printed a copy of the atlas follower and filed it down about 1mm and it worked fine.  (3d printed just to test it non-destructively.)

Candidly its a non issue just be aware some mag followers may not work without slight modifications.  But like I said several times the mbx followers are 100% reliable to-date.

On 4/2/2024 at 10:36 AM, EvilNuff said:

ive had bad luck mith MBX mags in my H-TAC and my artemis i just buy Atlas mags now they have never given me an issue. definately could be your issue

23 hours ago, beastmode_05 said:

ive had bad luck mith MBX mags in my H-TAC and my artemis i just buy Atlas mags now they have never given me an issue. definately could be your issue

As I have said elsewhere in this thread, yes the Atlas mags followers do not work without slight modification.  The MBX  ones work great.  The various 2011 mags have slightly different geometry in the follower which makes all the difference.

On 4/10/2024 at 11:08 PM, EvilNuff said:

As I have said elsewhere in this thread, yes the Atlas mags followers do not work without slight modification.  The MBX  ones work great.  The various 2011 mags have slightly different geometry in the follower which makes all the difference.

the MBX followers look like a crappy 3D print. at least the ones I've had and seen. i guess im missing something

10 hours ago, beastmode_05 said:

the MBX followers look like a crappy 3D print. at least the ones I've had and seen. i guess im missing something

I agree but they seem to work. I'm curious how robust they will be over time compared to a more conventional construction.

On 4/11/2024 at 10:38 PM, beastmode_05 said:

They are obviously 3d printed but their geometry is slightly different from the Atlas ones.  Going forward I will stick with the mbx ones as they work without modification.

Used my Vudoo Priest in its first match this weekend. Ran flawlessly using my own reloads. If I had the cash right now, I would order another right now. Serious, I own CZ's, MPA, Tanfoglio, and an SVI, and I have never had this much fun shooting a gun before. 

• 5 weeks later...

I have an early serial # model. It’s a blast to shoot. Had some hammer follow issues and it went back to voodoo for repair. Took about 2.5 weeks to get it back. Not sure what they fixed. No repair sheet with it but it runs great now. 

I swapped the aluminum grip for a steel and added an EGW safety. 

F5C92B45-E11D-48EE-89BA-2C2CDCD325E2.jpeg