Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who has converted there 40 TSO to Limited Optics?

Canman

Seems like a waste to me. Will it be *somewhat* less expensive than buying a dedicated LO gun? Sure. But you'll be at a disadvantage in rounds & recoil against guys shooting minor. I'm in the same boat & decided to just get a dedicated LO gun (ordering a DWX today).

Doesn't seem like a waste to me. I have a TSO in 40, shoot quite a bit of minor ammo through it. Also shoot a SP01 Shadow in Production, and before the Shadow, was shooting an XdM in 40 in Production. 40 minor, is, in my opinion, softer than 9mm minor, given specific loads for each. 

I have friends that have TSO's in 9mm, and have given them my 131 PF Production ammo to shoot, and the handed them my TSO in 40 with it's 134 PF minor ammo, and all have said it was softer than the 9mm.

As for a second slide, it might be cheaper just to get your current slide milled, and get a plate that can be put back on it for Limited. Yes, you may have to site it back in everytime to switch back and forth, but I think that wouldn't be too bad.

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

Doesn't seem like a waste to me. I have a TSO in 40, shoot quite a bit of minor ammo through it. Also shoot a SP01 Shadow in Production, and before the Shadow, was shooting an XdM in 40 in Production. 40 minor, is, in my opinion, softer than 9mm minor, given specific loads for each. 

I have friends that have TSO's in 9mm, and have given them my 131 PF Production ammo to shoot, and the handed them my TSO in 40 with it's 134 PF minor ammo, and all have said it was softer than the 9mm.

As for a second slide, it might be cheaper just to get your current slide milled, and get a plate that can be put back on it for Limited. Yes, you may have to site it back in everytime to switch back and forth, but I think that wouldn't be too bad.

Even so, you're still giving up 4 rounds per mag. That said, the RDS system from CZ Custom would work for what you suggest. 

Edited by moose97

I agree with Mr Grumpy regarding shootability of 40 minor.  You are at a disadvantage in a 20-23 round stage as you would need a reload.  

On the positive side you may cut more perfs  with that extra 0.5 mm.  
I am routinely beat by production and SS shooters requiring many more reloads.

I put an optic on my 40 TS years ago and shot it in SCSA Open.  Worked superbly with minor loads.  As mentioned earlier, 40 minor shoots flatter and softer than 9mm.  My minor loads were 140 PF.  Plus, for outlaw USPSA style matches, they knocked steel down much better than 9mm.

There is always at least one spot on a COF where you can reload on the run without costing time.  Geez, you did it in Limited.  Personally, I think anyone running a 23 round course with a single mag of 23 is being silly.  It costs you time, because you have to be more careful with your shots.  Even 23+1 is daft.  Reloading at an appropriate spot means you have rounds to spare and can afford to do a little hosing.

Are you finding a 9mm slide to throw on it? Or are you saying you want to just shoot 40 minor? I feel like finding extra TSO uppers are unicorn dust.

I am playing with 155 grain Brazos .401 and 165 grain blues RNFP loaded to minor power factor in 40 for LO. The Brazos kind of suck and lead the barrel. Once again, back to blues. But I am around 140ish PF with a Toni systems dovetail, and a DPP as my dot. I have also seen guys use a 9mm barrel and fit a 9mm extractor. Seems to be a little finicky though with a 40 breech face. I'm sticking with 40 minor for now, until I eventually move to open. This is a good interim period after being 2 years with irons in limited, as I get comfortable with dot shooting again.

i have a 40 tso, threw a 9mm barrel in it, had it milled for plates, have a plate for SRo, in 9mm its LO

have a plate with rear sight, using that and putting the 40 barrel back in its limited.

Runs like a champ in 9mm, obviously with 9mm mags

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2023 at 7:29 PM, pmills2001 said:

i have a 40 tso, threw a 9mm barrel in it, had it milled for plates, have a plate for SRo, in 9mm its LO

have a plate with rear sight, using that and putting the 40 barrel back in its limited.

What 9mm barrel are you running & was it a drop in fit? How is the reliability? 

On 7/16/2023 at 7:29 PM, pmills2001 said:

Who milled it for you? 

• 2 months later...

Likewise I have had a 9mm Tac Sport slide in the back of the safe that I want to try using for LO.  Is CZC the only game in town for milling TS slides?

Locally I do not know of anyone who uses the Tac Sport for LO.  Mostly it is Shadow 2s converted to SAO and 2011s.  I get that the 2011 mystique has always been strong but is there something I am missing as to why people are not using the TS for LO?