Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DME Presentation

11 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think it's kind of amazing that 2011's are still the best gun for competition. And they're not drastically different from what they were in the 90's. More reliable, better mags sure.

The biggest change is probably dumping the plastic grip that was intended to make the gun lighter for a steel grip to make even these minor guns weight north of 50 oz empty. 

I agree, I guess it must be nearly impossible to design a more performance oriented trigger than in the 1911. That combined with sort of an open-source design that lets users modify significantly more than other platforms. I will be interested to see if the recent crop of glock/p320 mag-based 1911-type platforms will take off. The mags / bullet feed geometry was always the weakest link of the design IMO. On a side note, at the same time it is impressive how much closer striker guns have gotten in terms of performance envelope as well.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, whan said:

On a side note, at the same time it is impressive how much closer striker guns have gotten in terms of performance envelope as well.

100%, I just recently picked up a Plastic Rival. I've wanted a canik for a while. I replaced two springs and ended up with a 2.25 lbs trigger that'll light most primers. Added the FS trigger..impressive. It shoots 2" at 25 off a bench. And so far has the reliability you'd expect from a striker gun. Haven't cleaned it since I bought it. And all that for half the price of even a Springfield poorigy.

well, I guess I get to eat my words. After making fun of limited optics and staccato for weeks, it looks like I am now going to be shooting limited optics with a staccato in the fall. The Lord was kind enough to pull my name from the prize table for a staccato P optic ready on sunday.

6 hours ago, motosapiens said:

well, I guess I get to eat my words. After making fun of limited optics and staccato for weeks, it looks like I am now going to be shooting limited optics with a staccato in the fall. The Lord was kind enough to pull my name from the prize table for a staccato P optic ready on sunday.

I bet you will be pleasantly surprised.  I've owned and shot a bunch of them the last several years and for the $$, especially in your case, they are hard to beat for a 2011.  The only thing I did was add 11 coil ISMI mag springs.  In fact, now that the XC is legal in IDPA, I'm waiting for one right now.

20 hours ago, motosapiens said:

The recoil spring is pretty stout. I’m currently using an 8lb. Stock is 13 and the blue one it comes with is 11lb