Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any saving this safety?

TheChef1

Fit a Wilson combat safety tonight and obviously didn’t do it properly. If it another one on a different gun without issue but this time that’s not the case. It works and goes up and down without issue until I squeeze the trigger with the safety on. I can see the hammer move forward a touch and then when I turn the safety off the hammer falls. Also it seems the right side doesn’t want to work properly. This is weird since it’s just slaved up to the left side. 

I'm assuming I need to get a new one and start over but curious if there’s any saving it. 

videos in the link https://imgur.com/a/A1IQ9vI

25 minutes ago, Don_B said:

If it a small amount off you can peen the contact point on the safety and make it work. 

I’ve been trying to find some videos on keening but can’t seem to find any. Do you know of any?

18 minutes ago, shred said:

It's mini-blacksmithing.  Tap some metal with a hammer and small punch to make a divot which shoves some metal out over to where you want it.

Makes sense. Any idea where I hit?

Hit the sides near the edge where you took too much off to try to push some metal that direction.  Use something solid on the opposite side [edit: and support the slot].  Think about smashing a small nail with a hammer on an anvil-- it gets flatter and wider.  You want the wider part to go where you need metal.  Practicing on scrap is good.

54 minutes ago, shred said:

Hit the sides near the edge where you took too much off to try to push some metal that direction.  Use something solid as an anvil on the opposite side.  Think about smashing a small nail with a hammer on an anvil-- it gets flatter and wider.  You want the wider part to go where you need metal.  Practicing on scrap is good.

Cool I’ll give it a shot. Inhave a small anvil and some good punches. Thanks man.

I'm not a fan of peening the safety if you took too much off.  Chances are it will wear quickly.  I'd prefer to replace the sear.  If you have an EGW sear currently, buy an Extreme Engineering/Cylinder & Slide sear. and refit the safety.  If that's what you started with, go to a Harrison Custom sear.  Thar sucker is fat.  You will definitely have to remove material.  Order their True Radius sear and it will drop right in.  You may have to polish the nose though.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with having the arm welded up, as long as it is a good job.  A new sear is most likely cheaper than a weld job.

Peening will save one thats close, not sure one thats enough to allow the hammer to fall counts as close.

I was able to save the one on a Caspian I had when I replaced the ignition parts, the hardest part is figuring out how to hold the safety in the right place well supported and hit it in the right place, it feels like you really want a 3rd hand but its 100% doable. 

As for the RH safety being weird, check how the tang and slot fit together, I have seen them both too tight and too loose. no idea what direction your issue is. 

Edited by MikeBurgess

2 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

As for the RH safety being weird, check how the tang and slot fit together, I have seen them both too tight and too loose. no idea what direction your issue is

I had a similar issue with the right side safety beig loose. One side of the slot had broken off. So the safety was tight going in one direction, but was loose and didn't work going the other direction.

3 hours ago, Don_B said:

I will try to get some pics later that show how and where. 

Ok I tried to add a photo but as usual it is too large. If you will give me your email or phone number I will send you what I have. It is pretty self explanatory. 

Also if you haven't already tried to peen it don't use an anvil!!! You will need a vise. 
I have done this to several safeties and have never seen one wear out. 

1 hour ago, Don_B said:

Ok I tried to add a photo but as usual it is too large. If you will give me your email or phone number I will send you what I have. It is pretty self explanatory. 

Also if you haven't already tried to peen it don't use an anvil!!! You will need a vise. 
I have done this to several safeties and have never seen one wear out. 

Thanks! You can email m.fairall1@gmail.com I have a vice too so I’ll use that. 

1 hour ago, Postal Bob said:

I had a similar issue with the right side safety beig loose. One side of the slot had broken off. So the safety was tight going in one direction, but was loose and didn't work going the other direction.

I think this one may be too tight. It’s hard to hand fit it in even when the safety is out of the gun.

35 minutes ago, shred said:

Nice description & pictures Bob!

Thanks!