Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Having My Car Broken Into

Matt Cheely

So last night between 2 am and this morning at 7am, someone broke into my car. Took my radio and that's about it. Seems they were getting people all through my subdivision.

What a way to start off the day! I'm not really too angry except for the part of where I have to deal with the insurance company, and spend my time getting the lock on my car fixed. Especially here around the holidays, and with me moving into a new apartment the first week of Jan.

Grrr. <_<

Getting the car window broken and riped off is why Gondi dos'nt have a car. My wife was so upset, she was taulking trash about if she could "!Get her hands on them for just five minutes"! but she will nearly reck the car to keep from hitting a mouse in the road.

I read up on a Taiser lock for the car that give the theif a jolt if they touch it , but hta tis after they brake in.

When it happened to me a couple months ago, I was really surprised how easy it was to get into my s-10 truck.

Basicly just took a flathead screwdriver and stuck it under my door handle and poped the lock. Didnt even do that much damage, just left a little hold under the door handle.

Now my dash was a different story...completely ripped it open..

Took my radio and that's about it. Seems they were getting people all through my subdivision.

We had a rash of these neighborhood hits in NJ. The radios and CDs were nt what they were after. It was ID, personal info, documents, etc. There were enough of them to get the homeland security types all wound up.

At least the ones local to me turned out to be a couple of winners who were very financially overextended and had a decent chunk of illegal gambling debt. They were pulling the identity theft schtick very badly. Forunately their lack of smarts limited the impact.

Aquaintances up north with a little more space between neighbors weren't as lcuky. their crroks were neater and did things like copy the numbers from checks, credit cards, etc.

If you left a checkbook or credit card in the car, you should probably consider it stolen despite having it still. Double check that license, registration, insurance card haven;t gone missing. If you had any bills in the car that have your SSN on them, you might want to consider signing up for a credit report monitoring service, etc.

Man, I'm especially on that hate train as well. Because, recently, bigJoni's (my daughter) car was broken into and the CD/radio was stolen. The CD player, which was less than a month old, wasn't actually stolen, they just smashed out the driver's side window then pried around on the stereo until they destroyed it, then took all her CD's and left. So we replace the window, and before we can replace the stereo it gets broken into again! :angry: This time the tweeker tries to steal the entire car by drilling out the ignition lock. After snapping off 4 drill bits, he finally gives up and leaves. At least he didn't smash out the window this time. (Slim-jimed it.) Thanks a lot. So we replaced the lock assembly and the stereo, and I put an alarm in it. It's a '96 Corolla.

:wacko:

be

Thanks for the words guys.

So after working all day, I find out that it is slightly possible the the insurance will cover the radio and my amp & subs. The car is a 13 year old Lumina, and the only part you could see was that it has a nicer radio. The rest of the car is a beater. Now I'm wishing I had put in an alarm instead of just the remote start.

Rob, So what's this with the gun being in the movie thing?!?

Rob, So what's this with the gun being in the movie thing?!?

"Rising Sun" with Wesley Snipes and Sean Connery..

Springfield Armory World Cup P9 with red dot

Sorry to hear about the break-in...every now and then we get a rash of cars broken into on the street the connects all the cul de sacs...real PITA.

If you drive a Honda Civic or Accord, those things are even easier to break into. It seems all they do is pry the window loose.

A lot of cars can be easily broken into if they have the handle and lock on the same sub assembly. A mechanic showed me how to do it when we were having the lock replaced because someone punched the lock tumblers. Same technique as Airic described.

One thing I have done is not to keep original CDs in the car. Think about it, say you have 50 CD at $13-15, that's a lot of money. With CD-R so cheap, just make a copy of it. Music CD with copy protection like Sony's are really easy to override the copy protection.