Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

{SHOES} Anybody here ever tried the NIKE trail running line of shoes?

I’m looking to get some better footwear. My local ranges are desert, rocky, loose and sneaks are terrible in them. 

Anyone here ever try out the NIKE trail running line of shoes? I need something with lots of pad to it and they seem like they might be pretty solid. 

Also feel free to throw a rec for a solid non-cleat shoe for desert if you have one. 

I came across a pair of Nike Pegasus Trail 3 at  a local store for 50$. Can’t pass that up. These shoes aren’t as aggro on the bottom as I would like but I was able to try a bunch on and figure out my sizing for Nike, they run small if anyone was wondering. 

Now that I have sizing figured out I may try the Zegama trail shoe. Looks pretty grippy and is supposed to be well padded. 

On 5/19/2023 at 9:04 AM, HighSpeedFocusedFailure said:

How’s the padding? Most of the Salomon I see at the range look really really flat and uncomfortable. 

I haven’t gotten a chance to wear them in a match yet. Padding seems ample to me, they are very light but narrow and I have normal width feet.

On 5/18/2023 at 10:33 PM, HighSpeedFocusedFailure said:

Also feel free to throw a rec for a solid non-cleat shoe for desert if you have one. 

Another vote for the salamanders here. I have the speedcross 4's and absolutely love them. I think they're on like version 6 but in all honestly I have no idea what the different generation differences are. 

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/speedcross-6-wide-lg9372.html#color=73525

On 5/19/2023 at 10:50 AM, Cuz said:

Those look interesting, too bad they don’t come in wide sizes. Keep us posted on how they perform. 

Link above has the wide sizes! 

On 5/19/2023 at 11:04 AM, HighSpeedFocusedFailure said:

How’s the padding? Most of the Salomon I see at the range look really really flat and uncomfortable. 

Not as comfortable as my everyday sneakers but they do what they're designed for very well. Mine are a half size too small for me and I don't even notice. They are a very comfortable performance shoe- but more importantly extremely confidence inspiring when moving quick. I'll say this, if you look around at what your competitors are wearing- if they're wearing any kind of performance shoe for uspsa, it will almost always be Solomons. They're well worth the price and as popular as they are in this sport for a good reason 

4 minutes ago, Farmer said:

Too much padding can also be detrimental. Depending on where it is you lose feel of the terrain and it actually takes more energy to move. 

100%

At the end of the day the shoe you're looking for is another tool/ piece of equipment, the performance is more important than the comfort imo.

I am really loving the Nike Pegasus 4 goretex.  Feels like a running shoe with enough traction for grass, gravel, mud.  I've been super impressed.  I have tried Salmon and every other brand, but they all just feel too bulky and end of day my legs ache.  Plus, the goretex on the Nike's actually shed water.  All other goretex running/niking shoes I've had just keep the water and weigh the show down.  They also ALL end up smelling like mildew way too fast vs these Nike's.

5 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

Good to know! I got mine on Amazon and have only worn them once. I’ll see if I can swap 

Yeah I’d have to do wide for sure. Tried out the Pegasus trail 3 today just messin with the kiddos at the park, very grippy so far. 

Maybe match next weekend to give them the real trial. 

The Nike Zegama is the one I’m really interested in though. Almost as aggressive on the bottoms as the Salomon but I haven’t had the chance to compare the two in hand. 

19 hours ago, shred said:

I have wide Speedcross 6 and like them.  The Supercross I don't think has wide, but the regular sizes are wider than the regular speedcross across the toes.

Question 

how wide are they, I wear 4e and most wide shoes aren’t wide enough

i pretty much settled on ASICS shoes but look longingly at the speedcross 

I don't know for sure.  Best bet would be to try to find somewhere with the wide speedcross and try them.  They aren't crazy wide, but way better for me than the regular, even one size up.

I've been getting the Inov-8 Mudclaw and X-Talon. They are wider than Salomon for sure, but I do have to go up one size. The lugs are 8mm, actually longer than the Speedcross. 

I like the mudclaw for soft ground but the pair I have (many years old by now) are thin with little padding so walking around a hard rocky range hurts by the end of the day.  Are the X-Talon any better in that regard?

I ended up on Merrell Nova 3's for the same reasons - I need a wide shoe and PA is very rocky. I tried Salomons, Rockport, and Columbia hikers and my feet would be killing me after every match.

Since I switched the difference is dramatic, very happy with the Merrell trail runners.

12 hours ago, shred said:

I like the mudclaw for soft ground but the pair I have (many years old by now) are thin with little padding so walking around a hard rocky range hurts by the end of the day.  Are the X-Talon any better in that regard?

This is exactly my concern. One of my nearby clubs is in the absolute most rocky location ever. It’s like refuse oversized fill, unscreeded. You can easily find 4” rock, everywhere. It’s hard pack under loose rock. 

Cleats bite in but as soon as you get through the loose stuff on top it’s like running on wood with cleats… it sucks. 

A thin shoe would be murder on my feet. 

23 hours ago, shred said:

A little. They have a rock guard, but I do feel the gravel. Most of my local clubs are gravel bays, and I'm always looking for a better shoe to suit the ranges I shoot at. I do want to look at the Merrell Nova high top. I'd really like to find a high top for ankle support, but super lightweight. The Merrell Moab was too heavy.