Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TK Custom 9mm conversion on my 10-5

MuayThaiJJ

I guess I don't get doing a 9mm conversion on a .38/.357 revolver.

I have a 929 and couldn't get it to run with factory ammo. I had tons of light hits and bullet creep.

The only solution was for me to re seat all the primers and re crimp everything.

At that point I figured I might as just run my 627 and load .38 Short Colt (I load on a Dillon 750 with a bullet feeder and a case feeder).

So what are you guys trying to accomplish by heaving a .38/.357 re chambered to 9mm?

One benefit would be the expanding of the chamber mouths, like a real aggressive chamfering job.  Don't know if it's worth the$300 though, just for that.  Maybe to be able to find cases, or even ammo, would be a benefit.  But what of the downsides?  Will accuracy be what is needed with either 9mm or so, specials or magnums?  If you have other 38's will it cause issues with using 38 cases from the 9m over time?

But the revolver looks great and I am sure tk did a top notch job.

Enjoy it and don't fret over us, we are jealous.

One reason ... I shoot different guns in different divisions and I use the same 9mm ammo in all pistols, revos, and PCCs.  I only have to load 9mm now.  Sold all of my 38 short colt brass.

TK did my 9mm conversion and I had it back in a week but that was back in 2014.

Thanks and yes more options for loading, I have way more components in 9mm than I do in anything else, especially 38. They do chamfering too for $100 (I think). Mark at Pinnacle stopped doing gunsmithing so with the quick turnaround and quality work, I think TK is the place 🤙

I noticed 9mm wasn’t consistently accurate (just like my 929) because of the bore size. Fine for steel plates but not for bullseye or long distance target shooting. I plan on getting slightly larger coated projectiles and also trying a 627 cylinder in my 929.

19 minutes ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

I noticed 9mm wasn’t consistently accurate (just like my 929) because of the bore size. Fine for steel plates but not for bullseye or long distance target shooting. I plan on getting slightly larger coated projectiles and also trying a 627 cylinder in my 929.

My 929 and 627 barrels both slugged at .357.

1 hour ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

One reason ... I shoot different guns in different divisions and I use the same 9mm ammo in all pistols, revos, and PCCs.  I only have to load 9mm now.

That makes sense 👍

7 minutes ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

No noticeable swelling at all

When I shot .38 short colt in my 929 they were so flared out at the bottom, I couldn't resize them with .38/.357 Lee dies.

YMMV

9mm revolvers is administrative.   If you shoot multiple other guns all on 9mm then its just one press.

If you shoot alot of volume and dont want to have reloading be part of the weekly schedule buy brass in very large volume and load it all in a few weekends.

Quantity is a quality all its own.

.391 base of 9mm .379 base of 38 special something has to give when firing 38 through a 9. 
I am just the opposite as I am set up to load 38 and all my revolvers are .357 so no need for 9mm set up. I do have a carry gun that is 9 mm and I only use factory ammo. As far as barrels go have a .356 barrel made. That is what I had done to my competition revolver. I still use .358 bullets and a factory crimp die on my 38 Short Colt. I have never checked to see if the bullets are resized when run through the FCD but I imagine they are. Your revolver looks great. 

My 929 barrel slugged at .357.

I've shot .355 jacketed, .356 jacketed, .356 coated, .358 plated and .358 coated.

All of them group about four inches at 25 yards with with me shooting the gun double action, two hands, standing.

YMMV

Put a cross haired scope such as a 2x7 Leupold put on a bench with sand bags. Which ever groups the best is the one to use. Then the blame is only on the shooter not the equipment. 

17 minutes ago, revoman said:

Put a cross haired scope such as a 2x7 Leupold put on a bench with sand bags. Which ever groups the best is the one to use. Then the blame is only on the shooter not the equipment. 

Since I never shoot with a scope, bench or sand bags, umm, no.

3 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Since I never shoot with a scope, bench or sand bags, umm, no.

Only way to figure out the best load and what the gun is capable of. After that is out of the equation it is only the nut behind the trigger. That is why when I shoot my revolver which can hold 2” at 50 yds I don’t worry about it as it is doing it’s part now it’s up to me to do my part. Or you can spray and pray and hope you hit what you are pointing at. Just saying ✌🏻🇺🇸🦅

5 hours ago, revoman said:

Only way to figure out the best load and what the gun is capable of. After that is out of the equation it is only the nut behind the trigger. That is why when I shoot my revolver which can hold 2” at 50 yds I don’t worry about it as it is doing it’s part now it’s up to me to do my part. Or you can spray and pray and hope you hit what you are pointing at. Just saying ✌🏻🇺🇸🦅

different strokes for different folks, I have no idea what my revolvers do at 50 yards other than my 44 magnum, I dont play games with them that require 50 yard  2 inch groups.
Not to mention the most accurate load doesnt automatically mean best.  Ease of reloading, cost, cleanliness, can come into play. 
Seems like it would be a royal PIA to mount a scope for no reason other than load development. Plain old irons on bench should be fine for a 25 yard zero.