Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rocky Mountain 3 Gun

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks! Happy New Year!

I talked to Blane the other day and he told me a couple of things that should be of interest to you.

First, the applications should be out by the end of January!

Second, the match dates may change to the 25, 26 & 27 (Friday, Saturday and Sunday), from Thursday the 24 to Saturday the 26. I think this is an excellent idea since DPMS is the weekend before and some folks want to shoot both. It also may be easier for some to take the days off to travel to the match without eating up almost a full week.

Please post your opinion of this possible date change!!!!!!

Third, there is no anticipated change to any of the rules this year with the exception of shooters MUST carry their sidearm in all stages and therefore you should anticipate having a holster that will safely retain your pistol during vigorous movement (open guys take note of this!)

I am very excited about this year and I look forward to seeing you all at this match.

Guy Hawkins

sofgl@yahoo.com

Third, there is no anticipated change to any of the rules this year with the exception of shooters MUST carry their sidearm in all stages and therefore you should anticipate having a holster that will safely retain your pistol during vigorous movement (open guys take note of this!)

Lame! LAAAMMME!

As far as the date changes I am indifferent.

And just to make it clear I think the sidearm requirement is ghey!

Only when you HAVE TO carrying it UNLOADED WITH MAGAZINE REMOVED

Absolutely, unloaded, it ain't nuttin but a club and useless to carry all the time. Carry it hot all the time, or leave things the way they usta' be and ferget' this pistol carry thingy ;-)

more power to it.......i would like to use it during a stage.......let alone the damn rattlers that we had during the last match. I think it is still falls in the realm of the old SOF rules....which is not a bad thing.

We have to remember that this is a tactical match. That is the whole concept of having at the Whittington Center, due to it's terrain and not just a open bay to shoot from.

As for being "Ghey".......is that a lisp? or speech thing?

I think its great, you should carry your side arm and be able to use it if your long arm fails(like mine did on GL's stage last year) at least i would have not gotten a penalty for failure to engage. I know those who use the race holsters will not like it but you cant always make everyone happy.

You RM3G guys rock!

I agree - carrying it hot on all stages would be not only give a real tactical feel to the match but also be kinda cool - RM3G again leading the 3 gun race :ph34r:

Well done guys ;)

Edited by mike.45

I would prefer the match days stay the same as last year,

airfares are cheaper and less crowded on Sunday flights.

and it is easier to take time from the job one week only.

As far the pistol being carried hot on all stages,

there is not enough positve reasons to be doing this

in the interest of time and safety.

If you don't have reliable firearms for competition

fix the root of the problem , not the rules!

This is the best 3-gun match, :D

lets not try to fix it if its not broke!

My 2cents. Craig

Let's just say the 2005 match allowed ...nay REQUIRED you to carry a loaded pistol throughout the match. Where would it have been advantageous for you to have a loaded pistol with you?

Stage 1: Multigun... you had to ditch your sidearm in a box.

Stage 2: 200-300 yard steel.

Stage 3: First shotgun plates and then pistol up the rocky creek.

Stage 4: Rifle. Rifle targets in the trees stop at a rock and engage 100-200 yard steel... cross stream bed(?) and engage steel again.

Stage 5: Machine gun/Krinkov stage. Take pistol off of sandbags and engage the paper pistol targets.

Stage 6: XD pistol stage and shotgun.

Stage 7: Pac man's stage. Rifle with close paper and steel to 300+ yards.

Stage 8: Shotgun stage with 4(?) slug targets and a bunch of clay targets.

Other than your long gun breaking down (not just running out of ammo) and the pistol is the primary weapon... where/when would you use your pistol?

I like the dates as they are. Shoot Thurs/Fri/ Sat.

It is easier for me to take Vacation all in one week

and leaves Sun. for travel home

As to having the pistol on all the time,

I don't like it , but I will follow whatever rules they come up with.

But,

If I have it , esp loaded, let me use it whenever I want to,

like any target, paper, steel or clay.

and provide the penalty/safety rules for when and how to dump the other weapon.

I would try to shoot the steel on a shotgun stage with my pistol., even strong hand it would be quicker for me, than to load a slug or 2 and then remount and shoot.

If its unloaded , why bother.

All of them!!!!!!!!......just the fact that i knew i had a back up for anything would be great. IE....A stage i shot last year and the year prior.......I took the last shot with my rifle and hit the last plate......lucked out both times, because i did not have any more ammo on me for the rifle. But knowing that the pistol is there is nice.

There was a match about 4 years ago that we shot at the Whitting Center (it was not RM3G).......it was another 3gun match.....a rifle stage, but you had to have a hot pistol duing all the stages.......it started raining......the stages still ran (no big thing).......the guy was down in a kneeling position with his rifle slung muzzle down (that was the start position)......well as he was standing by for the buzzer, his muzzle was sinking in the mud.......buzzer goes off....he reaches to unsling his rifle...and notices the muzzle full of mud! he knows not to fire it.....he keeps is slung, then proceeds up the hill with is 1911......he gets to the position (he was suppose to shoot about 10 targets with is rifle at 50 yrds, then hit a larue plate at 200 yrds).......he clears all the paper with is 1911, then bigger than shit, he walked in with 3 rounds and KNOCKED over the larue at 200 yrds with a 45acp. My brother was there to witness it....

So I guess, it did pay off to have a pistol loaded in a tactical match.......unless you like to zero a stage, like what would have happen in the case of the guy above if he did not have a pistol....

It is just nice to have, because you never know what will come up......it does not matter how experienced you are!

Things I hate about carrying a 'hot pistol'....

1. when the shooter goes prone to shoot the rifle and the muzzle of a hot pistol is pointed up range....kinda scarey!!!

2. Learning on the job about whether or not your holster retains the pistol and it happens to be loaded!!

just my $.02

Cheryl :)

Hey cheryl !

I agree with the safety factor of the pistol. The dates are better left alone leaving Sunday for travel home, and so the vacation does not carry over to the next week.

See Ya There !!

Trooper class at the RM3G would be absolutely brutal. In a good way.

It would take some major changes to the match setup, though. I'm not sure how feasible it would be. Coolness does has a way of overcoming unfeasability...

- Chris

We had previously discussed having a "transport" that would only run on the major road...to keep things on schedule so it wouldn't take 2-4 hours to hike to a stage. Or preplanned drop points that would put shooters within reasonable walking distance of a stage. Last year it seemed we had about 2 hours on average between stages, so that would be doable.

I'm all for carrying a loaded pistol during a stage to use as backup. You never know when your primary is going to have a problem.

Those who wear a gun most of the time have good solid equipment and there is little danger of a problem. If there is fear of a pistol falling out of a holster during movement, sounds like its time for a new holster.

Thurs / Fri / Sat vs Fri / Sat / Sun - I would prefer to travel on Sunday instead of Monday, best for business purposes. So I hope the match dates remain the same, but the change would not be a big deal.

Edited by Cactustactical

Things I hate about carrying a 'hot pistol'....

1. when the shooter goes prone to shoot the rifle and the muzzle of a hot pistol is pointed up range....kinda scarey!!!

2. Learning on the job about whether or not your holster retains the pistol and it happens to be loaded!!

just my $.02

Cheryl :)

I'm with Cheryl on this issue. Hot pistols pose a risk even in good holsters. I've seen a couple of good holsters fail at the Lambathon, leaving pistols behind in dynamic stages with lots of movement and props. But I've no problem with mandatory pistol carrying requirements.

As for the dates, I'd leave them as is.

I would not add any new classes unless at least 20% maybe 25% of the competitors would enter.