Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another newbie reloading question

ColoradoNick

So I've made a few thousand rounds of 9mm at this point and figured out what works in my gun.

My setup- Hornady LnL press and I'm using a Redding Competition seating die with micro adjust. The 135 blues are set to 1.13" and the 147's are at 1.15". I'm using assorted range brass and my OAL varies for the blues from about 1.128 to 1.145 and the same spread for the 147's although they seem slightly more consistent. I assumed this was the various brass at first but I don't think that's the case. Measuring about a dozen blue bullets they seem to vary in length a few 0.001's but not like the discrepancy I'm seeing. Any advice? It doesn't really matter as I can load the 147's to

1.17 and the blues even longer but it bothers me and wastes time because i check OAL more frequently and often resize. 

I also want to add a case feeder but not until I feel dialed in with my current system.

You could check to see if your seating die has a reversable flat/round insert and make sure you're using the correct one. I like to use the round side even with flat nose bullets because I get better consistency but YMMV.

To be completely honest, I wouldn't worry about it at all. As long as the OAL is shorter than what your barrels will accept I would just keep loading. I wouldn't waste a bunch of time trying to get perfect consistency, especially when it will have zero effect downrange.

Edited by 4n2t0

Different head stamps make more difference than length of bullet. Case wall thickness makes seating easier or harder depending on brand. This is why I sort. 
 Length of bullet might make a very slight difference for the same reason but not as much as the case in my opinion.

Also, keep in mind every time you stop the press to check something it throws consistency off. 
 Also the first few rounds off the press will be shorter because plate was not full. If you really want to confirm oal consistency:

Sort 20 cases same headstamp

start loading

pull first 2 off the press and set aside

pull handle 10-12 times at normal loading speed

measure those rounds and see what you get

There are some variables that are in your loading system. Not 100% familiar with a Hornady press. Lubing cases before use helps cut down COL length variability. I use One-Shot case lube. Range brass is another length variable one cant get away from. Deprimeing before using helps with this. Use new Starline or other cases and the different COL's should shrink. Another big one that comes with using range brass is how much different the pressure you use to cycle the press with. New cases help with this too.

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Different head stamps make more difference than length of bullet. Case wall thickness makes seating easier or harder depending on brand. This is why I sort. 
 Length of bullet might make a very slight difference for the same reason but not as much as the case in my opinion.

Also, keep in mind every time you stop the press to check something it throws consistency off. 
 Also the first few rounds off the press will be shorter because plate was not full. If you really want to confirm oal consistency:

Sort 20 cases same headstamp

start loading

pull first 2 off the press and set aside

pull handle 10-12 times at normal loading speed

measure those rounds and see what you get

I sorted initially during load development and then moved to assorted brass. This makes sense. I'll sort some and check again to confirm. I also pulled all of the dies and cleaned them. 

5 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

You could check to see if your seating die has a reversable flat/round insert and make sure you're using the correct one. I like to use the round side even with flat nose bullets because I get better consistency but YMMV.

To be completely honest, I wouldn't worry about it at all. As long as the OAL is shorter than what your barrels will accept I would just keep loading.

That's what I've told myself I just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something 👍

3 minutes ago, texasdawg said:

There are some variables that are in your loading system. Not 100% familiar with a Hornady press. Lubing cases before use helps cut down COL length variability. I use One-Shot case lube. Range brass is another length variable one cant get away from. Deprimeing before using helps with this. Use new Starline or other cases and the different COL's should shrink. Another big one that comes with using range brass is how much different the pressure you use to cycle the press with. New cases help with this too.

I noticed lube helps a lot and I have been 👍

All things being equal, if a 115 and 147 have the exact same bullet profile, if you set your press to 1.128, both completed rounds will be in that vicinity. But, if the bullet profile is even the slightest bit different, if the seating die contacts the bullet in a different location (say, bullet nose instead of bullet shoulder), you will get a differnt OAL. 

Brass length does matter, but even if the brass is .100 longer, the OAL will still be the same, as the press is set up to load to the OAL, not to what the brass length is. Brass length is more critical to power factor and SD than OAL.

I'm not familiar with Hornady's presses, but on a Dillon, you can get an OAL discrepancy if the shellplate is not fairly tight and if you are trying to set the OAL without having a shell in each station (if the shellplate is not tight, it causes the shellplate to tip slightly. Having a shell in each station makes that tipping less as there is resistance on the opposite side of the shellplate when seating). 

It comes down to what are you loading for. I dont think a few thousandths in length matter for anything. a couple hundreths make a much bigger difference. If you are shooting steel then I doubt a tenth would throw you off too bad.  Perfect is always better but if you get good results with what you have then you can spend the time shooting rather than sorting headstamps. 

I would make sure your shellplate is properly tightened.

Dont measure stuff that comes off an unfilled shellplate(shoot these in practice only)

I do not like microadjusts. I get very inconsistent results pick up a static seating die.

@ColoradoNick

With regards to the Redding Micrometer Seating Die, make sure you have completely disassembled the die and thoroughly cleaned and removed the "preservative" prior to using.  Some reloaders have noted sluggish operation and inconsistent OALs due to failure to fully clean. (see attached file for disassembly)

Also, removing the internal spring (above the seating stem) will result in more consistent OALs.

HTHs!

seaterquickstart.pdf

28 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

@ColoradoNick

With regards to the Redding Micrometer Seating Die, make sure you have completely disassembled the die and thoroughly cleaned and removed the "preservative" prior to using.  Some reloaders have noted sluggish operation and inconsistent OALs due to failure to fully clean. (see attached file for disassembly)

Also, removing the internal spring (above the seating stem) will result in more consistent OALs.

HTHs!

seaterquickstart.pdf 380.6 kB · 2 downloads

Thank you! I did clean it thoroughly but I'll give it another go and pull the spring 

13 hours ago, dtuns said:

I used mixed head stamp brass and I get +-.005 on OAL but I'm using jacketed bullets. I'm also using a LNL AP.

I'm using a lee six pack with wobbly lee dies and I get .008 max with mixed range brass and almost any bullet. 

It's not a big deal, sure, but getting .017" seems like the press isn't setup right. Make sure the sizer is set correctly and touching the shell plate. Double check it still touches with brass in there. 

On 4/5/2023 at 10:49 PM, OnePivot said:

I'm using a lee six pack with wobbly lee dies and I get .008 max with mixed range brass and almost any bullet. 

It's not a big deal, sure, but getting .017" seems like the press isn't setup right. Make sure the sizer is set correctly and touching the shell plate. Double check it still touches with brass in there. 

I tightened it up a bit and this definitely seemed to help. The only other issue I'm having has to do with blazer brass. I think the cases might be thinner than everything else I've been collecting as the bullet seems to seat all the way to the powder. I've played with the PTX to see if it was belling the casing too much but the OTD measures the same as all of my other brass. If I bell it any less it will remove the coating from the bullet. For now I've been separating blazer and when I get enough of it I'll try to figure it out separately. 

With the LnL the bolt holding the shell plate will loosen-up.  This causes a lot of little problems, make sure it is tight.  I use an o-ring under the bolt to keep it tight.

X2 on removing the spring from the seating die.

X2 on getting less variation with same headstamp brass.  You don't need to sort but you get, IMHO more consistent reloads.

X2 on a consistent stroke/pressure helps, this takes time to develop.  Don't rush to how many you can reload in an hour rather see how good you can make you reloads every hour.

Edited by Tunachaser

On 4/5/2023 at 4:15 PM, HOGRIDER said:

@ColoradoNick

HTHs!

seaterquickstart.pdf 380.6 kB · 10 downloads

I didnt know this was a thing. I have micrometers on 3 rifle seating dies and I dont run them because I couldnt get consistant.

21 hours ago, Tunachaser said:

With the LnL the bolt holding the shell plate will loosen-up.  This causes a lot of little problems, make sure it is tight.  I use an o-ring under the bolt to keep it tight.

X2 on removing the spring from the seating die.

X2 on getting less variation with same headstamp brass.  You don't need to sort but you get, IMHO more consistent reloads.

X2 on a consistent stroke/pressure helps, this takes time to develop.  Don't rush to how many you can reload in an hour rather see how good you can make you reloads every hour.

I use a split lock washer on the shell plate and that made a huge difference.

m700  yes it is a thing...I think the idea was the seating stem and bullet would had a chance to better align before full seating pressure locked the bullet into the brass...for better alignment of the bullet and brass...my guess only.

Good idea....bad engineering???

I took mine out and it NOW works great.

13 hours ago, Tunachaser said:

m700  yes it is a thing...I think the idea was the seating stem and bullet would had a chance to better align before full seating pressure locked the bullet into the brass...for better alignment of the bullet and brass...my guess only.

Good idea....bad engineering???

I took mine out and it NOW works great.

Absolutely agree… I just recently removed my spring from My Redding Micrometer seating die…. OAL’s are now absolutely near perfect…. Has been consistently on point and if it’s off they were never more than .001-.002… but like I said the majority of them have been right on the money… the only thing I’m upset about is that I should have done it sooner.   

I also removed my spring in the Redding micrometer seating die. .001-.002 either way is my range. I load at 1.163”, so I’m at 1.161-1.165. Out of 300 rounds probably 250 right on the money and the others are in that 2thousandths difference range.