Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need polishing compound help!

I need to take off black nitride finish off the bottom part of a 2011 hammer. I don’t want to alter the geometry of the hammer hooks and I don’t have any polishing stones.

I have a bottle of flitz but I don’t know how hard taking the nitride off using flitz and a dremmel with polishing wheel. 

has anyone used non abrasive polishing compound or know if flitz will do the job?

1 hour ago, CharlieD said:

Black nitride is not a coating, so you will be actually be removing metal.

So I can just polish off the nitride to reveal a shiny metal correct?  I thinking the nitride won’t be as slick as a mirror polish shine. I maybe wrong 

On 3/31/2023 at 10:19 AM, Nick_shoots_fast said:

I thinking the nitride won’t be as slick as a mirror polish shine. I maybe wrong 

You are.  If it really is nitrided and not blued, it is hard and lubricious.  That means it is slicker than bare steel.  If the hammer hooks are in good shape, leave it alone.

On 3/31/2023 at 10:19 AM, Nick_shoots_fast said:

So I can just polish off the nitride to reveal a shiny metal correct?  I thinking the nitride won’t be as slick as a mirror polish shine. I maybe wrong 

You should do your research about what nitriding is and is not.  It's certainly not a coating. And simple polishing compound will not put a dent in steel that has been nitrided.  The surface hardness of most nitrided steels is in the range of 50 to 60 points on the Rockwell C scale, which is pretty damned hard.

Having said that, the effective case depth of typical nitrided steel is somewhere in the .010" to .020" range.  So you can polish an already relatively smooth nitrided surface, fFor example going from a 100 microinch surface roughness to a 30 microinch roughness without damaging the hard case provided you have the right abrasive.

Given your level of knowledge (from what you've said in this thread) I recommend you leave all this alone.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

• 1 month later...

If you’re trying to just remove the ‘black’ aspect of it and make it shiny metal, just use rust remover (naval jelly) carefully. Don’t know why you would want to do that but it’ll make it bare metal-ish

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...