Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder charge consistency on Dillions [XL750]

Recently I started doing powder metering check before every loading session. I am currently using Alliant Sport Pistol. I have a dedicated case to measure power charge, its already sized, primed, and expended. I use the same case every time for metering check. I will dump the first two charges and collect the next 10 charges for averaged per drop quantity. My target is 4.21 gr. I found that I often need to adjust the powder bar nut to "re-zero" the charge quantity depending on how much it has been operated since the last adjustment, as if the metering drifts overtime. The difference can be up to 0.05 gr. I also found some correlation between the level of powder reserve and charge quantity. As the reserve gets lower, the charge gradually increases. The difference can be +0.02 gr between full reserve and half reserve. 

Anyone else share the same observation? any ways to improve the drop consistency? 

4.21 grains huh. You shooting PRS handgun? 

I toss the first 3 charges… dispense until I get 3 in a row the same. I often get single digit SD/ES with my PCC loads off my 1100.

You’re way overthinking this for handgun loading 

4.21 is the average of 10 charges

Since my scale only has .1 gr resolution and I understand that there is some measurable variations between charges. Therefore I always use 10 charge average. 

Okay. So what are your chrono results from that “inaccurate” powder drop? 

What headstamp brass are you loading? Are you weighing your projectiles and sorting for consistency? How tight is your OAL variance? 

Bottomline being… there are larger variables in this equation than your powder charge being off 0.01gr across 10 throws. 

That’s about as consistent as you can get with a volumetric powder drop. There’s a reason powder tricklers exist for making “match grade” rifle ammo. 

Edited by Dirty_J

This is reasonable variance for Sport Pistol and you won’t notice a difference over the chronograph. 

I top off the powder hopper with powder every 100 rounds since I’m stopping to add new primers anyway. It takes 90 seconds and seemed to improve consistency (but again, no noticable difference over the chrono - but easy step to take since the powder jug is there). 

12 hours ago, ddc said:

"The difference can be +0.02 gr between full reserve and half reserve."

I wondered the same thing years ago. The answer is like Dirty-J wrote the average of 10 drops. And the OP mentioned he does 10 drops to get the results.

On 3/1/2023 at 9:22 PM, Dr_Z said:

The difference can be up to 0.05 gr. I also found some correlation between the level of powder reserve and charge quantity. As the reserve gets lower, the charge gradually increases.

True, but does it matter? 

If you are loading that close to PF and worried about the chrono stage then you are loading too close. 

• 2 months later...

I put an Armanov click adjustable attachment to my powder drop. Once dialed in it keeps my drops very consistnt.I can come back a month later and the drop is still the same. The adjuster isn't cheap but its one less thing I need to worry about in my reloading process.

https://www.armanov.com/shop/clickable-powder-thrower-adjustment-knob-135?category=2#attr=197

I would think humidity, powder settling in the hopper could change things.. Also your ventilation cycling or a fan running could change it as well. but if you are plus or minus 5 hundreths ? drive on, this equipment isnt that accurate anyways.