Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Question on Drawing

gargoil66

90% of the time my grip is fine

5% it is good enough

5% it is needing to be adjusted. 

My numbers are based off of heavy scientific research, backed by the most advanced laser, lidar, and even doppler technology. I'm 100% not pulling these numbers out of nowhere. 

With enough practise,, you will get the perfect draw 98% of the time. The other 2% you can adjust before the 1st shot.

GM Jim Wall of Milt Sparks would practice his draw from his carry holster, a 1911 300 times a day. Jim has the smoothest and fastest on target draw if anyone I know.

I have a relatively slow draw compared to most, but it is very rare for me that I have a draw where it "feels" like I missed it in any real way(ie, it needs to be adjusted before I start shooting).   I'd say its like 999/1000 I get somewhere between perfect(whatever that means) and "good enough"...which i would define as whatever is wrong I do not notice it as being bad or imperfect.

I am SLOW to first shot compared to most though...

90%+ is a good guess for a good grip from the draw.  If going for a max speed draw that number can drop, except for SC taking even a few tenths of a second more on the draw to get a solid grip won't cost you, unless you're truly chasing MWP! 

Last year the fastest draw I had in practice was a .73, I worked until I could reliably break under a second.  In a match, I don't know and don't really care.  So many things can eat up time so I try not to fret over it.  And the draw is the smallest, personally I want my draw, reloads, movement and all other actions to feel smooth.  It's a personal thing but if I feel jerky it always means I'm shooting from my conscious mind too much.  When I feel smooth it's because my sub-conscious is in control of my shooting. 

Note at the beginning of the season last year I was lucky to hit a 1.3 second draw, all at 10 yards, and the biggest difference was in my "reaction" to the buzzer.

As for needing to be adjusted, maybe 2%, but I never do.  The grip I get on the draw is the one I'll shoot with until I reload, which isn't for long with a Revolver.  I'll be aware of the odd grip but I just focus on a smooth stroke of the trigger.  And in matches I've had everything from 1/2" below the hump of the revolver to the hump being below the web of the thumb.  

Edited by pskys2

Guys:

For me, I get what I consider to be a 'perfect' grip about 10% of the time, 'good enough' about 89 % and must adjust before I shoot 1 %.

Doesn't mean I had a perfect or good position, only that I thought my grip was good.

GG

2 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

Guys:

For me, I get what I consider to be a 'perfect' grip about 10% of the time, 'good enough' about 89 % and must adjust before I shoot 1 %.

Doesn't mean I had a perfect or good position, only that I thought my grip was good.

GG

I do spend an awful lot of time making sure my holster is adjusted for my hand to get the right spot, but I still do occasionally foul it up.  Once the holster is set, I pick a mark on the belt (the middle of my NM MC Holder matched to the right side of my pants zipper overlap) so I can index the whole rig each time.  Then because I've spent way too much time getting my rig set up at home, all it takes at a match is a couple of draws at the safety table and I'm good to go.

When I use a non-adjustable holster rig and have to adjust my draw to the rig, my times do slow down probably 20%, unless I'm lucky and everything lines up.

I'm not sure there is a difference between "good enough" and "perfect", they both fall in the category of just aim and shoot and don't think about it any more. that said I really don't sweat it much on my draw, I have a slow draw to begin with (its rare I can beat 1 second on anything not contact distance normally in the 1.3 ish range for 7yd As) so if its not good enough when I drag it out of the holster it gets adjusted on its way up. Honestly when I was working hard and going faster I adjusted my grip as I presented the gun more often than not.

I’m still a newbie in this sport but I’ve actually slowed my draw down slightly. I was working to get sub 1 second consistently (appendix idpa) but I just couldn’t do it and also have a perfect grip every time. I think grip is more important because follow up shots and transitions adds time with a bad grip. You’re either slowing down or throwing shots or correcting somewhere in between. My new goal is 1.2 consistently and in dry I can get that pretty easy practicing weekly. Live is a different story. Put a dang bullet in the gun and suddenly I’m slower. It’s mental really. 

Edited by Twilk73

23 minutes ago, testosterone said:

expectations and all...i did hear another multi time champion say the pressure after you win the first one is much worse, and after you win a 2nd worse still...

I wouldn't know.

23 minutes ago, testosterone said:

expectations and all...i did hear another multi time champion say the pressure after you win the first one is much worse, and after you win a 2nd worse still...

Yeah. It’s wild. Gets worse every time.

5 hours ago, testosterone said:

In all honesty if it got to the point you didn't have that excitement, adrenaline surge or even shakes, then why do it?  That feeling of expectation and excitement feeds my soul and is addictive.  Of course I've not been in that rarified stratosphere of an overall national title, I can only dream.

Edited by pskys2

Given Mike won the 2018 Nat's and IRC by what, .25 of a second????? it doesn't get much closer.

As for the draw, I think trying to go fast is going to result in a sub par draw.  I did have some crap draws at a match last month but I had not shot or touched a gun in months. rusty....

5 hours ago, MWP said:

Yeah. It’s wild. Gets worse every time.

Yo Mike:

'What's with the negative waves Moriarty?'

I mean, is this what is in store for me when I start winning national and international titles? 

He, he.

GG

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

In all honesty if it got to the point you didn't have that excitement, adrenaline surge or even shakes, then why do it?  That feeling of expectation and excitement feeds my soul and is addictive.  Of course I've not been in that rarified stratosphere of an overall national title, I can only dream.

Exactly 

49 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

Yo Mike:

'What's with the negative waves Moriarty?'

I mean, is this what is in store for me when I start winning national and international titles? 

He, he.

GG

“I dig how beautiful it is how here. Just doesn’t always come out righteous and hopeful.” 

Seriously I’m not complaining or negative about any of it. I could see how it comes across that way without tone online though. I’m happy to talk more about this specific topic in person with anyone though. Just tough to explain on here. 

But I’m sticking with “it’s wild” as the best description of the entire journey.