Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Czechmate extractor

Chapo

It’s a brand new gun. Only several weeks with it. I’m loading major: 124g RN bullet over 8gr of HS6 loaded to 1.148-1.55”. I know, I’m using mix brass. 
I am getting tons of stovepipes, FTEs and FTF. 

I tuned the mags and did all I could from info provided in this forum. Even, one to the TS magas I have has the internals from grams and nothing. Out of the myriad of things that could be wrong, I’m not sure if part of the problem is the extractor. I added pics for your review. But if not, what the hell else could be….

871E2611-0EBE-4769-8D13-1919FA8CEDEA.jpeg

Was just reviewing the footage of the range today, and these were my observations.  The FTE and FTF and stovepipes all happened with 9 and 10lb springs.  A few cases were too long (1.16" and barrel not reamed yet) and could have contributed to like 3 FTEs, but the majority did not extract or feed properly leading me to believe that it could be other problems aside from the 3 longer cases.

Gun was dirty and I hear the gun likes to run wet with lots of lube.

Few times a case did not eject and was stuck in the throat and when pulling hard the case ejected.  This leads me to believe that the extractor is good?

Have evaluated this problem thoroughly and need different set of eyes and ideas to see if I'm on track.  Although I tuned the mags, I am thinking of sending them to grams to have a professional check them. 

Also, need to ream and re-cut the ramp to try and eliminate problems.  Any good suggestions of gunsmiths that would do this kind of work?  In my area they don't do that kind of work.

First thing to do is either mount that slide-ride sideways, or replace it with a micro red dot.  I suspect your stovepipes are due to cases hitting the mount and bouncing back into the ejection port. Look for brass marks on the bottom of the mount.

FWIW, I used to load 1.100 with plated FPs and 1.150 plated RNs. Always mixed brass. Stock barrel. Stock mags. You'll also find that the heavier stock recoil spring is probably spot on for major too.

I used to run mine fairly dry, but it does have to be clean. Think somewhere between a Glock and 1911 🙂

Great ideas. I will check the bottom of the mount to check for marks. Also I remember the plunk test and some were falling and some weren’t. Could this be a crimp issue?  I am loading on a Dillon 1100 with Redding competition seater and Dillon crimp. Why the inconsistency?

zdaly, what was your load at 1.15? Did you tune your mags? What spring are you using? I’m doing 10lbs

Edited by Chapo

I run an 11 for major ammo, 8 for factory, depending on what pills you are loading could be the issue, cmjs run very well without reaming a 1.16, hollows and jhps can be hitting the lands ? I know they won’t plunk in by CM but round nose and cmjs will.  Ow motion video the extraction, it will give you tons of info on what’s going on

1 hour ago, Chapo said:

zdaly, what was your load at 1.15? Did you tune your mags? What spring are you using? I’m doing 10lbs

124gr RN (either Frontier or Berrys), 7.4gr Vihtavouri 3N37, CCI 500 SPP. Gives 167PF. I shoot IPSC, so good enough.

Was using 11lb spring. Having said that, watch the Atlas video and perfect zero and pick your spring weight from there.

Never got around to tuning mags. Was stuffing 26 into factory mags. 

6 minutes ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

If you have other issues a really light recoil spring might make it worse. 
but I know guys that run 7-8lbs in there checkmate no problem. 

In my neck of the woods, they came with 8lb for use with factory ammo in the standard configuration, and 11lb for use with Major ammo and compensator.

They were even kind enough to suggest 124gr FMJ bullet, 6.2gr of Winchester AutoComp, and CCI SPP 😉

Light springs with Major will eat your slide stop pins more than usual 🙂

Edited by zdali

The only times I had the types of problems described I wasn't getting the casemouth back to the correct measurement or brass fired in other pistols that had a more generous chamber and the sizing die couldn't size it enough.

For 9mm I use .377" and use brass only fired in my open pistol.

2 hours ago, Chapo said:

Great ideas. I will check the bottom of the mount to check for marks. Also I remember the plunk test and some were falling and some weren’t. Could this be a crimp issue?  I am loading on a Dillon 1100 with Redding competition seater and Dillon crimp. Why the inconsistency?

Possibly crimp or OAL is marginal.   Try a little shorter and a little extra crimp.  It takes a whole lot of crimp to be an issue.

How many rounds through the gun? mine was very tight when i first got it, kept it very wet and shot about 400 rounds of 9major in an evening re-oiling a few times and most of the initial problems went away.  i still had intermittent issues along the way but after getting Grams to tune my mags the problems pretty much disappeared entirely.  i'm hoping the mbx mags solve that permanently, my one new big stick seems good so far. 

mine's all stock springs too. 

obviously gotta rule out ammo itself too. i case gauge everything with a hundo now.

Edited by DavidSeavey

21 minutes ago, DavidSeavey said:

obviously gotta rule out ammo itself too. i case gauge everything with a hundo now.

I feel like this is going to turn into "how to load 9Major" thread soon LOL

I watched your video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Q0J3sC1MA

Your cases are ejecting basically straight down which certainly suggests the cases are hitting the optic mount, as others have said. I'd shoot it without the optic mount and see if you can reproduce the issue.

One of my two Czechmates was extremely tightly fit when I first got it and had a noticeable hitch at a specific point in the slide when hand cycling; I was able to correct that with careful hand polishing of the rails. If yours is similarly tight then that could also be a source of inconsistent feeding issues and compounded by any ammo and/or grip issues. 

I'd check the specs on your reloaded rounds as well to chase down any FTF issues. 

Cleaned and lubed the pistol. 124g RN bullet over 8.1-8.3gr of HS6 loaded to 1.130" to 1.140" and crimped.  Out of the 50 I loaded most passed the plunk test except like 5.  Still had no issues shooting them all at range.  All fed perfectly.  No FTEs or FTFs. I used a 9lb spring and the recoil was decent.  Still, I ordered an 8lb spring to see how low can I get and if I can bring the recoil straight back and not so much up and down.

In the future will try and keep the loads at around 8.1gr of HS6 (my dillon powder measure on my 1100 is throwing crazy!)  Will try to keep AOL closer to the 1.132" range.

1 hour ago, Chapo said:

In the future will try and keep the loads at around 8.1gr of HS6 (my dillon powder measure on my 1100 is throwing crazy!)  Will try to keep AOL closer to the 1.132" range.

9 Major is not a place for guess work, you need to run these rounds over a chronograph. When I did my initial testing with 124gr projectiles I was at 170PF with 7.9gr HS6 but was loading to 1.165"; I wouldn't be shocked if you're pushing 180PF with 8.1gr loading to 1.13.

1 hour ago, Chapo said:

Out of the 50 I loaded most passed the plunk test except like 5.  Still had no issues shooting them all at range.

10% plunk test failure says there is something wrong with your reloading process. You're probably not resizing the case enough or your crimp is set up wrong. With mixed range brass I'd expect 1-2% plunk test failure at the high end with a dialed reloading setup. 

I use mixed brass almost exclusively to reload for my wife's czechmate.   Don't have any issues with failing plunk test.  Both her czechmates has the barrels reemed.  Brass also roll sized.  I'd say it's not an extractor issue but a quality of reload issue.

Edited by sandflea316