Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ginex Primers Difference

ogiebb

Was able to buy a few boxes of Ginex Primers i received some in a Brown box and another in a white box labeled "Ginex Campro" 

anybody know the difference aside from the packaging?.. loaded up a few and shot great on my old Open Gun but had some light strikes on my 

new gun. both sporting a 17lbs ISMI mainspring, firing pin springf  and same M2i ext  firing pin. 

I had similar light strikes with ginex in an svi with much the same configuration as you describe. Slightly high primers may have been part of the issue, but replacing the 17 lb mainspring, with 10k rounds on it, made all the difference. Maybe they are just a little tougher than the winchesters I have always used.

25 minutes ago, TaterHead said:

I had similar light strikes with ginex in an svi with much the same configuration as you describe. Slightly high primers may have been part of the issue, but replacing the 17 lb mainspring, with 10k rounds on it, made all the difference. Maybe they are just a little tougher than the winchesters I have always used.

Thanks, i loaded up a few hundred and adjusted the primer depth and buried it more. i will still use the 17lb hammer spring if it still gives me some light hits i will play around with a 19lb MS.. was yours the brown box or white box  Campro Ginex?

20 minutes ago, ogiebb said:

loaded up a few hundred and adjusted the primer depth and buried it more

Can't speak to the spring rate, however I've been using Ginex with great success in Shadow 2. Basically they must be seated as deep as possible, with some even "pre-flattened." I've loaded close to 25K of them so far.

Most have been brass some have been nickel plated. The brass ones seem slightly softer.

17 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

Can't speak to the spring rate, however I've been using Ginex with great success in Shadow 2. Basically they must be seated as deep as possible, with some even "pre-flattened." I've loaded close to 25K of them so far.

Most have been brass some have been nickel plated. The brass ones seem slightly softer.

Thanks yes the nickle or silver primers were the ones i had light strikes on... i will open up a Campro box i believe those are the brass colored primers

4 hours ago, ogiebb said:

Was able to buy a few boxes of Ginex Primers i received some in a Brown box and another in a white box labeled "Ginex Campro" 

anybody know the difference aside from the packaging?.. loaded up a few and shot great on my old Open Gun but had some light strikes on my 

new gun. both sporting a 17lbs ISMI mainspring, firing pin springf  and same M2i ext  firing pin. 

Try a 15# Wolff main spring it is heavier than a 17# ISMI and will last a long time. Your hammer strut has to be long enough also.

1 hour ago, TONY BARONE said:

Try a 15# Wolff main spring it is heavier than a 17# ISMI and will last a long time. Your hammer strut has to be long enough also.

Thanks Tony!!! Say hi to the gang in Rio for me.. its been a while my Friend hoping all is good with you.

• 2 weeks later...

The CamPro's are Ginex primers originally imported into Canada. Your mainspring and proper seating of the primers are the likely culprits. These primers are a little oversized and make that wonderful crunching noise when I seat them. I push hard on my 650 to seat them really well. My modified 66 is the only gun that will not set these primers off (Federal only).

P.S. $39 CAD ($29 USD) per 1K many years ago. I still have billions of primers, lol. Since they're not milk I just kept buying when they were cheap no matter the brand.

image.jpeg.bca77230faab70ad2ead50d323d82f8e.jpeg

Edited by 4n2t0

I just received some and compared them to CCI.  There was a few thou variance between both brands, but overall very close.  These are SRP's that I use for open.  Ginex is brass CCI is nickel.

image8.jpeg.bf0fe8a8685ab69c3b7bc9efd9eff74a.jpegimage7.jpeg.4728b5d55c91619ae019a584b6004219.jpeg

Adjusted the Dillon Rl1050 to seat the Primer deeper so far its been really nice and have been liking the Silver Ginex Primers. they go Bang all the time now and is very smooth on the RF100 Primer filler.

On 3/5/2023 at 8:49 PM, 4n2t0 said:

The problem is usually in the diameter, at least in the SPP. I don't load rifle so I wouldn't know anything about rifle primers.

Looks like they've made some adjustments.  CCI on top, Ginex on bottom:

image10.jpeg.ee00443e767a9ed60869ade13afb99ea.jpegimage9.jpeg.0d32b3ea3ab6126849aec7f70e2e981c.jpeg

6 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

Good to know, thanks.

No worries.  I was a little nervous buying them after reading all sorts of forum threads and opinions online saying they wouldn't seat properly.  I finally came across a relatively recent one that mentioned Ginex changing their dimensions to match up better with CCI, so I measured to confirm. 

• 3 weeks later...

Haha I LOVE Ginex SPP. Both the brass colored ones and the silver colored ones. I got about 20k I've used over the last year. All in either a CZC A01LD or a tanfo stock 2. CZ has a 13.5# hammer spring and tanfo has a 15.5# spring.