Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" double stack

warren5421

I have a 6" STI "PERFICT 10" and went looking for another 6" STI in .45 ACP or 9 mm, they are no more.  Does anyone build a 6" modular frame double stack today.  I want a 1911 slide with 1911 controls, a frame with 1911 type controls, grip safety and etc.  I want another 2011 STI platform in a 6".  I want a 6" barrel not a 5.4" barrel.  170 mm mags setup to work.  Not interested in battery/electric sights. 

DOES ANYONE MAKE WHAT I WANT?????

Probably be  a custom build order. I have a 6" 45 SS rock island I used for pins and my limited gun is a STI 6" 40...  Slides and barrels are out there.  At one time 6" 40 limited guns were popular and it might be easier to find a already built 40 than 9 or 45.

This topic has been on my mind for a while. I have a 1911 6" which is my favorite gun to shoot due to its qualities of soft recoil, better velocities, etc. I shoot dots so the sight radius is moot.

I have wondered about buying a Rock Island Armory in 9mm/22 TCM in double stack and fitting a 6" slide to it. Sure would be cheaper than a custom.

Then I get to thinking, why not do A 6" AND A 7"?

I would then have a 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6 AND 7"!

Might have to look into it a bit more.

Another vote for the custom builds. 6 inch slide is a lot of mass to have to move and it moves differently from 5 and 5.4. 

Just about any competent builder can put together a 6 inch slide on a frame but you definitely want someone who knows where to remove material to get the recoil impulse you want. 

Benny Hill does a great job, one of his guns got me hooked on 6 inch. Caspian makes a good 6 inch slide too if you're looking for parts.

Last year I had Jeff Abernathy at TommyGunsUSA make me a 9mm 6" upper to pair with its 40sw big brother. Its a caspian 6" slide with 6" kkm bushing barrel.. a few cuts here and there - many of which caspian does in house - and it handles fantastic.. 42oz with aluminum cheely l2 frame and brass magwell.   definitely not nose heavy.

tommyguns6inch-generations.jpg

Edited by scroadkill

On 2/12/2023 at 11:50 AM, Aiden said:

Another vote for the custom builds. 6 inch slide is a lot of mass to have to move and it moves differently from 5 and 5.4. 

Just about any competent builder can put together a 6 inch slide on a frame but you definitely want someone who knows where to remove material to get the recoil impulse you want. 

Benny Hill does a great job, one of his guns got me hooked on 6 inch. Caspian makes a good 6 inch slide too if you're looking for parts.

Yep.  Benny's fat free 6" gun slide weighs the same as his 5" slide

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 2:25 PM, RangerTrace said:

My first serious Limited pistol was a 6" SV that I made "A" class with.  I watch videos from back then and it was very flippy compared to the 5.4" I ran after it.  5.4" Sight Tracker is the shiz if you can get one.

I was messing around with svi's gunbuilder yesterday on the 6 inchers.