Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Repro SL variant speed loader vs Speed Beez speedloader for ICORE classic

Couch-Commando

Hi everyone. Awhile back, I bought a bunch of Safariland Comp1 speed loaders in 44 magnum. I like the fact that they are cheap, and that they don't require me to turn a knob to dispense the rounds. But in dry fire practice with dummy rounds, I get an occasional hangup that seems like it would be easily remedied with a spring assist speed loader. I've checked, and Safariland and Jet Loader doesn't make one for the N frame 44 magnum. However, Speed Beez does, and I recently discovered that reproductions of the SL Variant speed loaders are also made in 44 magnum.

https://www.slvariant.com/product/n-277-6-shot-n-frame-44spl-44mag/

https://www.speedbeez.com/product/speed-beez-smith-wesson-44-magnum-speed-loader-6-shot/

They are both basically the same price. Does anyone use these in classic division? What is your experience?

I don't compete with these speedloaders but have both in 44 magnum and practice with them. The SL Variant is by far superior and easier to use than the Speed Beez speedloader. The SL Variant speedloader holds the rounds under tension and releases them with very little effort needed, while the Speed Beez holds the rounds using a spring band that you need to overcome with a fair amount of force when loading the rounds into the revolver.

Also for some reason the 44 Mag SL Variants, at least in the first batch, aren't completely assembled correctly and need to be taken apart; fully screwed together with loctite applied. Here's a picture of a fixed SL Variant on the left and the way they arrive on the right, notice the length of the brass rod that is sticking too far out.

sl_variant_44mag.jpg

Nothing will ever be faster on revolver reloading other than the S&W 625 with Full Moon Clips in 45 acp.

However the Safariland 'Jet' speedloader thumb activator for 38/357 is a bit faster than the HKS reloader that turns to insert.

Not sure that many people shoot a 44 Mag /Special just because of ammo costs...

Guys:

I bought some Speed Beez eight shot speed loaders for my 27's and my experience is they are easier to release than any other speed loader.  So easy that if I touch the release rod, no matter how lightly, I feel eight rounds dropping on my boots and on the ground.  Not uncommon for me to load them and when I grab one, I find a round has fallen out.  I personally don't trust them.  They are convenient for Steel Challenge though.  Also they take .38 SC and no other speed loader made for .38 does that I have found.  

Will admit that the spring loaded ones like Bianchi (?) are pretty cool though.  Dependable too.  Just stick up real high and they don't make them for eight shot revolvers. 

Got some Five Star, eight round, speed loaders too.  Conventional push in and turn.  Really good though.  Holds the ammo firmly and easy to grab and release.  I would trust them in competition or with my life.'

Still, to me, best bet remains Moon Clips.  Easier to manipulate and faster to use.  Not as cool though.

GG

6 hours ago, Bill Sahlberg said:

Nothing will ever be faster on revolver reloading other than the S&W 625 with Full Moon Clips in 45 acp.

However the Safariland 'Jet' speedloader thumb activator for 38/357 is a bit faster than the HKS reloader that turns to insert.

Not sure that many people shoot a 44 Mag /Special just because of ammo costs...

I'm kind of at a crossroads trying to decide what to do.

For right now I have a S&W 29 with an 8 inch barrel that will be my hunting gun. For now I'll be shooting that to get good with it. My local match allows you to shoot multiple times, so I'm sure I'll eventually get a 627 or 929 to shoot limited 8. But I really like the idea of shooting classic as my main division with old equipment. I also like big heavy N frames. Near as I can tell, if handloading, ammo can be made almost as cheaply as 38 special. The powder charges will be similar. The brass is pretty similar from starline. And from where I've been buying bullets, 158 grain 38 bullets aren't much cheaper than 180 grain 44 bullets. If I can find good speed loaders, I don't think I'll be at a huge disadvantage shooting 44 Russian. At the same time, I clearly need a second gun to do this if I don't want to have to rezero every time I switch to magnums, and K frame 357 magnums are cheaper than N frame 44 magnums, so I'm all confused and don't know what I'll end up doing...lol. If the SL variants work well, I can see myself sticking with 44 just so I don't have to reload another caliber.

1 hour ago, Couch-Commando said:

For right now I have a S&W 29 with an 8 inch barrel that will be my hunting gun. For now I'll be shooting that to get good with it. My local match allows you to shoot multiple times, so I'm sure I'll eventually get a 627 or 929 to shoot limited 8. But I really like the idea of shooting classic as my main division with old equipment. I also like big heavy N frames. Near as I can tell, if handloading, ammo can be made almost as cheaply as 38 special. The powder charges will be similar. The brass is pretty similar from starline. And from where I've been buying bullets, 158 grain 38 bullets aren't much cheaper than 180 grain 44 bullets. If I can find good speed loaders, I don't think I'll be at a huge disadvantage shooting 44 Russian. At the same time, I clearly need a second gun to do this if I don't want to have to rezero every time I switch to magnums, and K frame 357 magnums are cheaper than N frame 44 magnums, so I'm all confused and don't know what I'll end up doing...lol. If the SL variants work well, I can see myself sticking with 44 just so I don't have to reload another caliber.

CC:

Do remember that it is cheaper to lose a moon clip than a speed loader.  Not sure what sort of competition you are doing but if it means run and gun, you will either drop the speed loader and hope you find it in one piece at the end or will use a dump bag and lose some time.  Also, you will be ejecting loose brass and live ammo which means you will sacrifice a percentage each match to the gods of brass.  I would rather get a moon clip stomped on than a thirty five dollar speed loader.

As for handloading costs, it will cost more for your bigger bullets, plain and simple.  If you get a 627 or 629, you will see the difference in cost pretty quickly.  Still, I like my M-29 quite a lot and enjoy shooting it with .44 Special loads.

GG

Edited by gargoil66

I make a knob for the Safariland type 1 speedloaders that makes them easy to use in a match. The main problem with them is trying to hang on to the tiny knob that comes on them. With a bigger knob, you can get them out of the speedloader pouch quickly, then stick them in and push to release.

A factory speedloader is on the left. A revised one is on the right.

IMG_UJ2_20230118_171911.thumb.jpg.3c4ba57960b8e0b62a0996e47a8cce71.jpg

An old school basketweave speedloader pouch.

IMG_UJ2_20230118_172008.thumb.jpg.0b274e1c7d18a1a8bcfdc771e93d9c15.jpg

Edited by Toolguy
add pictures

1 minute ago, Toolguy said:

I make a knob for the Safariland type 1 speedloaders that makes them easy to use in a match. The main problem with them is trying to hang on to the tiny knob that comes on them. With a bigger knob, you can get them out of the speedloader pouch quickly, then stick them in and push to release.

Have any pictures of your Safariland type 1 knob replacements? I'd be interested in some.

On 1/17/2023 at 1:46 PM, Couch-Commando said:

reproductions of the SL Variant speed loaders are also made in 44 magnum.

So that website isn't the company in Austria?  Who is behind them? 

They all have the legit logos, so are they unlicensed, reversed engineered copies or did someone buy the intellectual property and is now making them again?  There can be a big difference between those two ways.

3 hours ago, Couch-Commando said:

Russians are short enough to not line up as easy as specials or even magnums.  They're usable but specials or magnums will be best.

1 hour ago, Toolguy said:

Bring one to the april icore match at mill creek, might be worth getting.

I have an original German SL Variant for my Python.

Pro:  Easy to load, adjustable for bolt circle, I could use it for either Colt or S&IW L.

Con:  Takes a harder push to release than Safariland.  

I don't have a Speedbeez but I see that the rounds are retained by a circular spring like the old Dade which I do have.  

Pro:  Easy to load

Con:  Weak hold on ammo.

Sidebar:  TK will cut your .44 Magnum for moon clips.  

Pro:  Very fast reloads

Con:  $200 to machine, $8 per clip; and you need a lot.  Must specify Starline or Hornady/Speer/some other.

M. Ayoob had a .44 Magnum converted to .44 Automag.   

I have a M29 I made into a 44 Automag. It uses 45 ACP moons, but they have to be machined to work right. It works great once you're set up. Starline is making 44 Automag brass now. Back when, I had to make my brass out of 308 rifle brass. That was a ton of work.

Edited by Toolguy

34 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

I have an original German SL Variant for my Python.

Pro:  Easy to load, adjustable for bolt circle, I could use it for either Colt or S&IW L.

Con:  Takes a harder push to release than Safariland.  

I don't have a Speedbeez but I see that the rounds are retained by a circular spring like the old Dade which I do have.  

Pro:  Easy to load

Con:  Weak hold on ammo.

Sidebar:  TK will cut your .44 Magnum for moon clips.  

Pro:  Very fast reloads

Con:  $200 to machine, $8 per clip; and you need a lot.  Must specify Starline or Hornady/Speer/some other.

M. Ayoob had a .44 Magnum converted to .44 Automag.   

You can get the 44 cut for moonclips for $100, or whatever toolguy will charge.  The clips are thinner than others.  I started with 50 and still have 48 good ones, and I used them for 4 heavy seasons.  The bigger issue is to do so to an older classic.  Couch commando shot my 4" m29 with moonclips at our October icore match, the Russians wouldn't hit poa for him, but the specials did.  Shot it quite well too.  

5 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

They all have the legit logos, so are they unlicensed, reversed engineered copies or did someone buy the intellectual property and is now making them again?  There can be a big difference between those two ways.

From what I understand, someone in Japan is making them.

21 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

I have no idea, hence why I posted here first. I'm going to email them to see where they're from. However, the lack of an address on their site raises an eyebrow. I have found good reviews on youtube though.

Thanks for the info, I have been interested in the S.L. for years, I have ordered a few for testing. 

Received a confirmation on my order, it was from support@slvarient.com. and states the items will be shipped from their warehouse in Japan.

In my limited experience with speed loaders I've tried Comp 2's, HKS, and Speed Beez .

Comp 2 is nice, holds and releases rounds well.

HKS works fine as well, but doesn't hold the rounds quite as securely.

Speed Beez are pricey and drop rounds easily.  The first time I practiced with one it broke into pieces when it hit the floor.  They replaced it promptly but that has made me leery of using them in competition.

The SL variant looks promising but I don't want to end up with a drawer of unwanted speed loaders. 

I'll probably stick with Comp 2.  It works and it's readily available.

YMMV

40 minutes ago, abbafandr said:

In my limited experience with speed loaders I've tried Comp 2's, HKS, and Speed Beez .

Comp 2 is nice, holds and releases rounds well.

HKS works fine as well, but doesn't hold the rounds quite as securely.

Speed Beez are pricey and drop rounds easily.  The first time I practiced with one it broke into pieces when it hit the floor.  They replaced it promptly but that has made me leery of using them in competition.

The SL variant looks promising but I don't want to end up with a drawer of unwanted speed loaders. 

I'll probably stick with Comp 2.  It works and it's readily available.

YMMV

You need to try Safariland Comp IIIs, Jet Loaders, and the SL Variants.  Once you do you will never go back to anything else. 

When I first got into handguns in 2005 - 2006, I went all in on revolvers.  I began competing in IDPA shortly after with revolvers as well.  Because of that, I did a lot of trials with every speedloader I could get my hands on.  The three that I mentioned are the top of the heap and everyone else is a FAR distant second or third.

My personal order of preference is

1. Jet Loader
  2. Comp III
  3. SL Variant

16 minutes ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

You need to try Safariland Comp IIIs, Jet Loaders, and the SL Variants.  Once you do you will never go back to anything else. 

When I first got into handguns in 2005 - 2006, I went all in on revolvers.  I began competing in IDPA shortly after with revolvers as well.  Because of that, I did a lot of trials with every speedloader I could get my hands on.  The three that I mentioned are the top of the heap and everyone else is a FAR distant second or third.

My personal order of preference is

1. Jet Loader
  2. Comp III
  3. SL Variant

He is looking for 44 caliber Speedloadeers not made as comp iii or jets, s l variant is the next option.  All agree comp iii or jets for k or l frames.