Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Repro SL variant speed loader vs Speed Beez speedloader for ICORE classic

Couch-Commando

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

He is looking for 44 caliber Speedloadeers not made as comp iii or jets, s l variant is the next option.  All agree comp iii or jets for k or l frames.

No.  That's the OP.

They guy I responded to mentioned speedloaders that have never been made in 44 cal like the Comp II.

On 1/17/2023 at 1:46 PM, Couch-Commando said:

Hi everyone. Awhile back, I bought a bunch of Safariland Comp1 speed loaders in 44 magnum. I like the fact that they are cheap, and that they don't require me to turn a knob to dispense the rounds. But in dry fire practice with dummy rounds, I get an occasional hangup that seems like it would be easily remedied with a spring assist speed loader. I've checked, and Safariland and Jet Loader doesn't make one for the N frame 44 magnum. However, Speed Beez does, and I recently discovered that reproductions of the SL Variant speed loaders are also made in 44 magnum.

https://www.slvariant.com/product/n-277-6-shot-n-frame-44spl-44mag/

https://www.speedbeez.com/product/speed-beez-smith-wesson-44-magnum-speed-loader-6-shot/

They are both basically the same price. Does anyone use these in classic division? What is your experience?

I forgot that I have had Speedbeez loaders before, in 38 Special.  They puked rounds at random if they hit the floor with cartridges in them.  I returned them for credit.

I would not use Speedbeez loaders for any reason.  Now that SL Variants are available, it's not even close.

The only other realistic alternative in 44 caliber is the Safariland Comp I and they are far behind SL Variant.

Basically I've used every speedloader type out there and nothing comes close to the Comp III, the Jet Loader, and the SL Variant.

On 1/17/2023 at 2:42 PM, gargoil66 said:

Guys:

I bought some Speed Beez eight shot speed loaders for my 27's and my experience is they are easier to release than any other speed loader.  So easy that if I touch the release rod, no matter how lightly, I feel eight rounds dropping on my boots and on the ground.  Not uncommon for me to load them and when I grab one, I find a round has fallen out.  I personally don't trust them.  They are convenient for Steel Challenge though.  Also they take .38 SC and no other speed loader made for .38 does that I have found.  

Will admit that the spring loaded ones like Bianchi (?) are pretty cool though.  Dependable too.  Just stick up real high and they don't make them for eight shot revolvers. 

Got some Five Star, eight round, speed loaders too.  Conventional push in and turn.  Really good though.  Holds the ammo firmly and easy to grab and release.  I would trust them in competition or with my life.'

Still, to me, best bet remains Moon Clips.  Easier to manipulate and faster to use.  Not as cool though.

GG

This is absolutely true!

• 5 months later...
On 1/19/2023 at 5:46 PM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Basically I've used every speedloader type out there and nothing comes close to the Comp III, the Jet Loader, and the SL Variant.

I've had an issue where one or two rounds hang up when using the Comp III, which prevents me from closing the cylinder. Is either the SL Variant or Jet Loader better at inserting all 6 rounds every time?

Edited by matteekay

• 3 weeks later...