Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What ammo do you use for your ccw?

23 minutes ago, RJH said:

I load my own. Generally with xtps

That was kinda the point of this topic.  I wanted to see how many people trust their own reloads.. 

what fps do you load them to?  Can you share details of your load? 

thanks 

side note. Being that I carry in my home (nyc) and also nj. I can’t have HP.. at least in nj I can’t have Hp 

Edited by Zachjet

11 minutes ago, Zachjet said:

That was kinda the point of this topic.  I wanted to see how many people trust their own reloads.. 

what fps do you load them to?  Can you share details of your load? 

thanks 

In my 40 I think it is 7.8 grains  behind a 180 1150 fps and 8.3 behind a 155 1300 fps, out of a 3.8 inch barrel, both of these gained about 75 foot per second out of a 5 inch gun.

On 9mm it is 6 grains behind a 124 for 1310 out of a 5 inch barrel 

And on a 45 it is 6.8 behind a 230 for 950 out of a 5 inch barrel 

All xtps and all with longshot powder. Pretty sure all those are Hodgdon book loads. All give good velocity. All work well in my pistols 

Edited by RJH

On 1/14/2023 at 3:22 PM, RJH said:

I load my own. Generally with xtps

I am not a lawyer but a while back I remember reading where a CCW was dragged through a lawsuit even though his shooting was legal. But they tried to go after him because he was using hand loaded ammo. I don’t know how it ended but the argument was that he specifically loaded the ammo to be deadly and lethal. I thought that was stupid since ammo you buy for self defense will kill just as dead. But with anti gunners out there and if you were drug into court by someone you shot but they survived there is a possibility they could sue you. I since then carry factory ammunition to not have that possibility if I should ever have to use. Again I am not a lawyer but I thought I would just put this out there. 

1 minute ago, revoman said:

I am not a lawyer but a while back I remember reading where a CCW was dragged through a lawsuit even though his shooting was legal. But they tried to go after him because he was using hand loaded ammo. I don’t know how it ended but the argument was that he specifically loaded the ammo to be deadly and lethal. I thought that was stupid since ammo you buy for self defense will kill just as dead. But with anti gunners out there and if you were drug into court by someone you shot but they survived there is a possibility they could sue you. I since then carry factory ammunition to not have that possibility if I should ever have to use. Again I am not a lawyer but I thought I would just put this out there. 

Getting sued can always be an issue in anything, and while I will not say it hasn't happened, this is  often repeated internet lore that I have never seen actual proof of it happening. 

Also never seen actual proof of anyone in a justified sd shooting being prosecuted cause they were using reloads. 

So color me skeptical 

8 minutes ago, revoman said:

Good point 

my instructor buddy makes it a point in his class about what ammo you use. His example is don’t use Hornady zombie killers. 966486.jpg

don’t want a Prosecutor pointing out on the stand that you were hunting for people. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Zachjet

2 minutes ago, RJH said:

Getting sued can always be an issue in anything, and while I will not say it hasn't happened, this is  often repeated internet lore that I have never seen actual proof of it happening. 

Also never seen actual proof of anyone in a justified sd shooting being prosecuted cause they were using reloads. 

So color me skeptical 

I agree with this as far as reloads, especially if anything did come up and you can show your data and testing for that load.. 

New Jersey vs Daniel Bias not a CCW shooting a I thought it was but it was hand loaded ammo that Daniel used for CCW. Interesting read and six years sentenced due to hand loaded ammo. Me myself factory ammo only why take a chance. 

11 minutes ago, revoman said:

New Jersey vs Daniel Bias not a CCW shooting a I thought it was but it was hand loaded ammo that Daniel used for CCW. Interesting read and six years sentenced due to hand loaded ammo. Me myself factory ammo only why take a chance. 

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Handloads+for+self-defense%3a+the+Daniel+Bias+case.-a0143625757

Handloads helped prove he probably didn't do it. Also not a self defense shooting, so irrelevant. 

Definitely an interesting read though, and maybe where some of the "don't use hand loads in your ccw" internet lore comes from

• 1 month later...

Federal 124gr HST (not +P). 
I liked that TargetSports sold it in 50 round boxes rather than 25, and the price was reasonable enough to buy a case to practice with in each firearm that carried it. 

• 2 weeks later...

For .380 I carry 90gr Critical Defense.

.38 Special I use the 130gr +P Winchester Ranger.

In 9mm I like the 147gr Winchester Ranger T-Series or 147gr Federal HSTs. I live in Colorado and have family in Alaska and if I'm doing anything outdoors where there is a chance of running into elk/bear/moose I will usually carry the Buffalo Bore hardcast +P Outdoorsman 9mm load in a Glock 19 or 17. Not as good as a magnum revolver or 10mm, but keeps me from having to buy a speciality gun for a few times a year.

Personally I'd probably avoid loading my own carry ammo unless that was my only option.

Lucky Gunner did some pretty in-depth testing on a variety of calibers and common carry barrel lengths. I realize ballistics gel isn't the same as real world performance, but it does provide a consistent platform for testing a variety of loads side by side.

Interesting read if you're looking for a new load to carry or stuck getting something other than what you're used to and want a bit of insight before you buy.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

My G43 is loaded with FBI loads they had spec'd out for Speer (after they converted to 9mm), including some petal cuts on the copper jacket to promote expansion. One of the dies had become worn and one of the cuts was shallower than the Feds desired. They returned a LOT of ammo to Speer. My former boss scored about a pallet load. The 147 pills have a dollop of some clear RTV-looking stuff in the HP cavity, presumably to prevent plugging the round with sheetrock or clothing.

My G43 is loaded with rounds spec'd by the Atlanta PD after they converted to 9. It's another 147 hi-zoot round loaded with what appears to be an XTP-type HP.