Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Older and understsnding

wooddog

I like that as I get older (currently 59) I am starting to "get it."

The things that my father, grandfather and other important people of my life told me " You'll understand someday" are beginning to make sense.

Edited by wooddog

36 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Yes sir.  Seems a little unfair.  About the time your start to get it and are financially secure, life is about over.....

My dad, practically on his death bed, told me to do the things I want while I’m young, even if it means going into debt. His reasoning was, when you’re young you have your health but no money and when you’re older you have money but could lose your health. 

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

My dad, practically on his death bed, told me to do the things I want while I’m young, even if it means going into debt. His reasoning was, when you’re young you have your health but no money and when you’re older you have money but could lose your health. 

A Men

22 hours ago, Sarge said:

A wise man indeed

For me it's Getting Older and Reflecting. 

I don't feel that I truly understand some things still.

The other side of the coin for me is that when I was "young" or younger, it's not like I was an idiot. Some things are only "understandable" with a large enough data set. 

For me, a lot of life is context. There are times when I wish I had taken a different career path. But then I remind myself that 21 year old me would have HATED that, so,, at THAT time in my life that would not have been a good job. 

• 8 months later...

I'm 59 and have not yet bridged the gap into "getting older".  In good active health and cognitive abilities.  

In some things like the tech field at work, I have capitulated and am now the older / wiser / mentoring guy, but in physical activities, like shooting / pickleball I still find myself having to prove I'm "good".  Candidly, it isn't always fun and can come off like the jerky old guy still thinking he has game.   My patience standing in line with "old people" is non existent.

I suspect I'll get there some day, but it isn't playing out exactly as I expected...  at least not yet

• 2 weeks later...

I am at a stage in life where I am starting to understand many things that I never even considered just ten years ago. I am now 68 years old. Two years ago I had stage three colon cancer with a prognosis of "poor". I had surgery, and eight months later the cancer reoccurred in my colon, and it had also wiped out most of my bladder. Along the way I had a couple of hernias, kidney failure, non-alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver, twisted guts, blocked bowels, and the list goes on. Yesterday the biopsy on my nose came back as skin cancer, but that's nothing in comparison to my other issues.

I have a new Dan Wesson DWX being milled for an optic, and I'll be giving Limited Optics a try in the spring if I am still physically able to safely navigate courses of fire. I have learned to get right with God, treat others with dignity and respect, and to enjoy the life I have left without regret or self-pity. Life has been a great ride and it isn't over yet. Are you ready? Stand by...