Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Malfunction/Technique Question

bravofox

I just got my first .45 1911, I've been having malfunctions with it for a bit, today I figured out what causes them. It's me. My firing hand thumb is riding against the slide and slowing it down enough that the next round won't fully chamber. it took about 100 rounds to test and verify that that's the issue. I wear size large gloves. Would a different safety, grips, or recoil spring help or is it a technique issue? thanks

I’ve Got xxl size hands AND left handed. My thumb blocks spent Brass ejection occasionally along with dragging on slide. Double-Tap, Phoenix Trinity, Limcat, Swenson, and others make “shielded” thumb safeties. This makes a huge difference and is legal in all divisions that allow single-action pistols. 

First, is this a brand new gun? What brand? If so, it may not be you at all, but just needs to get broken in. Or get the feed ramp smoothed and polished.

The reason I say it may not be you, is because I did a similar test on a 9mm 1911 I was having problems with.  The 9mm uses a 9lb recoil spring, verses at least a 16lb or more stock recoil spring. I test shot the gun by increasing the pressure of my thumb against the slide, until it malfunctioned. I had to exert such extreme pressure before it would malfunction. Much more than you would ever do normally shooting the gun. Trying the similar thing on my 45 1911, it was impossible to slow the slide down enough with my thumb to get it to malfunction.

It's more likely the gun needs to be broken in more to smooth up the surfaces between the slide and frame. And to smooth up the feed ramp and mouth of the chamber.

Edited by Postal Bob

• 3 weeks later...