Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 port or 2 port for 9 major?

Dfehr401

My state just went dumb and I can no longer order ammo.  I have quite a bit of 38sc stocked up.  I have 2 9mm presses set up already rockin.  So my question Im looking to get a 9 major barrel fitted for my slide just wonder if there is a performance difference between 2 or 3 port.  My current 38 sc set up is 2 port with 3 popples and 8 lb springs.  

7 hours ago, Dfehr401 said:

My state just went dumb and I can no longer order ammo.  I have quite a bit of 38sc stocked up.  I have 2 9mm presses set up already rockin.  So my question Im looking to get a 9 major barrel fitted for my slide just wonder if there is a performance difference between 2 or 3 port.  My current 38 sc set up is 2 port with 3 popples and 8 lb springs.  

From what I’ve been told, the 2 port binary engineering comp is great for 9mm. That info comes from a few reputable builders.

Out of curiosity, if you’re already setup for 38SC why not just load that?

9mm is case capacity limited.  You can have soft or flat, but not both unless you settle for some of each.  If you are going for soft, you want as many chambers as you can get.  You also want all up ports (except possibly the last chamber) so you get some flattening.  If you are going for flat, you want poppels.

The more chambers you have, the more baffles for gas to push against.   Two of my 9mm major guns wear custom three chamber comps and two 3/16" poppels in the comp in a V2 config.  Pic below.  The third has a Brazos Thunder Comp 2 and three 5/32" poppels in the barrel.  

The custom comp is a little softer and flatter.  I recommend SWMP or AA7 powders.  They are dense and easily compressible.  You can fit a lot in and the rounds won't grow if you do compress it.

577963492_EricsComp.jpg.272e8f947c3f2d0180a8a359bf1904d2.jpg

15 hours ago, CalTeacher said:

From what I’ve been told, the 2 port binary engineering comp is great for 9mm. That info comes from a few reputable builders.

Out of curiosity, if you’re already setup for 38SC why not just load that?

Having trouble finding dies atleast without over paying.

I've shot and built guns with 2, 3, 4 and 5 port comps with and without barrel holes, they all work just fine, yes some setups feel a bit different but after the beep you wont notice. so get the one that you like the look of. 

If one design was enough better to matter then every comp would be made that way, but they aren't. 

In My Opinion the biggest thing is to get the springs and load balanced with how you grip the gun to get the dot return to where it left from, where and how far it goes is irrelevant.  

that said the last few I have built for myself have 3 port comps with 2 barrel holes, because that seems to be the current trend and I will sell them eventually. 

2 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

I've shot and built guns with 2, 3, 4 and 5 port comps with and without barrel holes, they all work just fine, yes some setups feel a bit different but after the beep you wont notice. so get the one that you like the look of. 

If one design was enough better to matter then every comp would be made that way, but they aren't. 

In My Opinion the biggest thing is to get the springs and load balanced with how you grip the gun to get the dot return to where it left from, where and how far it goes is irrelevant.  

that said the last few I have built for myself have 3 port comps with 2 barrel holes, because that seems to be the current trend and I will sell them eventually. 

Well said.