Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P metal

usmc1974

On 12/21/2022 at 4:16 PM, usmc1974 said:

Am I ready to give up my Glock 19 gen 5 custom? no!

lol Well after a couple more outings, I think I am ready, beginning to love this smith and Wesson pistol. It seems to fit my hand even better than my beretta 92 and the green.holosun 407 is awesome.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/31/2022 at 4:06 PM, usmc1974 said:

lol Well after a couple more outings, I think I am ready, beginning to love this smith and Wesson pistol. It seems to fit my hand even better than my beretta 92 and the green.holosun 407 is awesome.

Glad you like the Metal. I have several friends that shoot it and love it as well. I personally didn't think it was worth the extra $$ over the polymer MP 2.0 that I have.

Also if you do not like the trigger, Check out Overwatch Precision, they make an awesome trigger for the Metal.

Side note....  I know the girl in your avatar and can get you another cool picture of her holding an M&P if you want

5 minutes ago, Some_Dude_Who_Shoots said:

Glad you like the Metal. I have several friends that shoot it and love it as well. I personally didn't think it was worth the extra $$ over the polymer MP 2.0 that I have.

Also if you do not like the trigger, Check out Overwatch Precision, they make an awesome trigger for the Metal.

Side note....  I know the girl in your avatar and can get you another cool picture of her holding an M&P if you want

I took it out to IDPA, last night. It ran awesome has a great trigger. I ain't doing nothing to it, is fast and accurate just the way it is. I think I found my pistol Was pretty excited about it too.

• 3 weeks later...

looking to buy something when I get off this hitch,, was thinking the M&P competitor  was compensated or there was a model with a compensator ,, 
I have ZERO non 1911/2011 experience other than a XDM 9mm that I really like. LIke it so much I dont want to mess with it. Makes a good forget about it truck gun.
But seems like anything I want is made of unubtanium.  Thinking of putting together an open slide ride minor gun to shoot in SC, or might check out  a local USPSA or IDPA match. Probably only shoot 4 or 5 matches a year.
So how would you compare M&P lines to an XDM if you have shot both ?

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/27/2023 at 7:54 PM, Joe4d said:

looking to buy something when I get off this hitch,, was thinking the M&P competitor  was compensated or there was a model with a compensator ,, 
I have ZERO non 1911/2011 experience other than a XDM 9mm that I really like. LIke it so much I dont want to mess with it. Makes a good forget about it truck gun.
But seems like anything I want is made of unubtanium.  Thinking of putting together an open slide ride minor gun to shoot in SC, or might check out  a local USPSA or IDPA match. Probably only shoot 4 or 5 matches a year.
So how would you compare M&P lines to an XDM if you have shot both ?

I have both the xdm 5.25 and the m&p 1.0. I just bought the competitor 2.0 metal.  Out of the box the xdm was much more accurate. I put aftermarket triggers on both the xdm and 1.0. I also had a gunsmith fit barrel added to the 1.0 because for me accuracy was terrible. I bought the 5 inch core slide that Smith and wesson sold for the m&p 1.0 it's compensated and it's plug and play. Now about the competitor. The trigger isn't great but a huge improvement. It's flat faced if you like that. It's not as nice a trigger as the canik rival trigger. But much better than glock. For me the Smith and Wesson m&p fits great in my hand.  The xdm isn't bad. So I think it's kinda preference. The competitor comes with optic plates so easily mount a red dot. But I'm pretty sure some of the xdm pistols have that option. So go with what feels good. Oh if you've already got xdm mags see if they're interchangeable with what xdm you're considering buying. Not sure if that helps. Good luck 

Not sure if I’m crazy, but I just picked up the competitor. The tool doesn’t sit flush and sticks out a TON when you remove the magwell. Anyone have one of these yet and have experiences the same?

14 hours ago, touji said:

Not sure if I’m crazy, but I just picked up the competitor. The tool doesn’t sit flush and sticks out a TON when you remove the magwell. Anyone have one of these yet and have experiences the same?

If you bought the competitor, why removed the magazine well?

Edited by usmc1974

1 minute ago, usmc1974 said:

If you bought the competitor, why removed the magazine well?

To shoot carry optics. Also looks like s&w included a secondary tool to allow use without a magwell.

5 hours ago, touji said:

Also looks like s&w included a secondary tool to allow use without a magwell.

Well OK then, thereyago. All I know is I love my smith and Wesson metal so much it's all I shoot now.  I seem to have a lot of safe queens....lol.

IMG_20230223_143840.jpg

On 3/2/2023 at 6:28 PM, usmc1974 said:

Well OK then, thereyago. All I know is I love my smith and Wesson metal so much it's all I shoot now.  I seem to have a lot of safe queens....lol.

IMG_20230223_143840.jpg

How is the mag well opening on that gun?  Any pics?

On 3/8/2023 at 11:26 PM, Hammerman said:

It looks more beveled than the plastic versions. Thanks 

I believe it is, But could be because the metal frame can take more abuse than the polymer frame I'm guessing.

Edited by usmc1974

• 2 weeks later...

I've really been enjoying the M&P Competitor, it shoots pretty freaking well for a completely stock gun. Given that it's designated as a 2.0, has anyone played with any of the aftermarket parts for the plastic 2.0 in regards to whether they work in the competitor? Curious about guide rods, trigger parts, etc.

On 3/20/2023 at 12:03 PM, touji said:

I've really been enjoying the M&P Competitor, it shoots pretty freaking well for a completely stock gun. Given that it's designated as a 2.0, has anyone played with any of the aftermarket parts for the plastic 2.0 in regards to whether they work in the competitor? Curious about guide rods, trigger parts, etc.

yes. If you order the stainless guide rod from Wolff gun springs it works in the competitor. I run the 13 lbs springs with 130 PF loads and it shoots really really nice.

I also run the overwatch precision flat trigger and it is almost the best striker fired trigger I’ve ever used. The only ones I’ve felt better, and just by a little, are the Canik and Walther triggers.

I bought a brass magwell from Floyd’s customs and man did it settle the gun down ever more.

I plan on running this setup in limited optics in the future.

accuracy is on a whole different level than any of the previous M&Ps. My competitor is more accurate than both of my 2.0s fitted with apex barrels.

On 3/20/2023 at 1:03 PM, touji said:

Given that it's designated as a 2.0, has anyone played with any of the aftermarket parts for the plastic 2.0 in regards to whether they work in the competitor? Curious about guide rods, trigger parts, etc.

Apex says their sear, striker block, etc. for the 2.0 polymer guns aren't "certified" for use in the metal frames.  I know why.

I have a regular 4.25" Metal Frame and discovered the striker block has been changed from the polymer guns.  The former spring and plunger under the sear on the polymer guns has been changed to use a longer spring and no plunger.   That said, I installed an Apex DCAEK in my Metal Frame by using the Apex spring and buying the plunger on-line.  So far it has worked just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 5:54 AM, SteelCityShooter said:

Apex says their sear, striker block, etc. for the 2.0 polymer guns aren't "certified" for use in the metal frames.  I know why.

I have a regular 4.25" Metal Frame and discovered the striker block has been changed from the polymer guns.  The former spring and plunger under the sear on the polymer guns has been changed to use a longer spring and no plunger.   That said, I installed an Apex DCAEK in my Metal Frame by using the Apex spring and buying the plunger on-line.  So far it has worked just fine.

I have the APEX forward set trigger in my plastic one so  I switched them over to the metal the APEX trigger won't push sear back enough to fire. So I left the internals and put stock trigger back on and put 500 rounds through it without any problems and trigger is about 3.5lbs with stock trigger and APEX sear and springs.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 3:11 PM, Matt1911 said:

I’m really itching for this metal M&P, but I hate the Tungsten Cerakote. 
Any chance they’ll be coming out with an all black version in the future? 

They make the metal in black but it’s LE only.  You can find them on GB though. I have one. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 3:11 PM, Matt1911 said:

I’m really itching for this metal M&P, but I hate the Tungsten Cerakote. 
Any chance they’ll be coming out with an all black version in the future? 

The color in one of The reasons I bought it. The black and  silver or gray whatever you wanna call it, is very sexy.

• 2 months later...
On 9/3/2023 at 6:20 PM, CGoodwin said:

I only wish that they had machined the grip rather than inserting the plastic textured grip panels. Just a strange solution and the front strap does wiggle.

I used a small strip of double sided tape at the base of the front panel to eliminate the wiggle.