Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Before I get into reloading question(s)

Wrathen

So I'm mostly a USPSA/IDPA shooter and wanting to get into reloading to control my competition loads. I have a few questions if someone wouldn't mind helping me out.

For USPSA I mainly shoot 40 S&W for Limited Major, for IDPA its all 9mm. I also shoot some 45acp for revolver in both sports for a change of pace. I was considering getting a press for at least 40 S&W or get setup for all three calibers. I would shoot my revolver more if I could do a soft handled for it. Also in the future I would like to shoot a 45acp 1911 single stack. How complex/time consuming is the swapping from one caliber to another?

I was told by a local guy that reloads a lot that Frankfort Arsenal is releasing a new press and I've signed up to be notified when its in stock and seems like a good deal for what it offers. I'll likely be loading 10-15k or so rounds of 40, and maybe 2-3k of 45acp and 5-7k of 9mm if I do all 3 calibers... BUT maybe I'll shoot more when I can reload sooo maybe more. I was also thinking of doing a Dillion 750 or maybe 1100. Any advice on these presses or another option?

I won a $250 Dillion gift card at a match. If I don't go with a Dillion press what could/should I buy from their site for this amount that I could use for any reloading. (At the moment I have nothing, but a bunch of saved brass). 

Another local guy said it would be better to buy two cheaper presses and set one up for 9mm and another for 40 S&W over going with a more expensive press and changing it the dyes out... I don't think this sounds correct but would be open to opinions/advice.

I assume I also need a chronograph? my local range that I'm a member of has one that members can use ... should I buy my own or is using the club's ok? Since I'm not doing precision rifle rounds that I will need to test a lot and since I will go to the range when I need to test a load is owning my own a benefit? If I should own one what would be a good recommendation?

I have done some reading of blogs/forums and watched videos and things but still it seems like a daunting thing to jump into... but maybe I'm over thinking it.

Thank you in advance. I

Edited by Wrathen

A big question is, how much are you willing to spend on the press? 

I reload on an RL550B. To change calibers from 9mm to 40 takes me less than 5 minutes (probably less than 2 minutes actually). To change to 45 takes me about 10 minutes, since I have to change the primer feed from small to large. 550 tool heads are probably the cheapest out there so I have one for every caliber I reload, with a powder hopper for each.

14 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

A big question is, how much are you willing to spend on the press? 

I reload on an RL550B. To change calibers from 9mm to 40 takes me less than 5 minutes (probably less than 2 minutes actually). To change to 45 takes me about 10 minutes, since I have to change the primer feed from small to large. 550 tool heads are probably the cheapest out there so I have one for every caliber I reload, with a powder hopper for each.

I also reload on a 550 and have tool heads for 5-6 calibers.  I also have an old 650 with a case feeder.  The case feeder is a game changer.  At a leisurely pace I can crank out 600 rounds of 9mm per hour and I am watching while pulling the handle and setting a bullet.  I have not run a 750 but have heard they are like a 650 with the 550 primer feed system.  Both are marvels of modern technology.   If you are going to do the volumes I defiantly recommend Dillon and go with the case feeder.  

I see your end game as probably including more than one press.

550 is simplest and cheapest and quickest to change over, a 550 would always be handy to have, or easy to sell if you upgrade, but you are projecting pretty high volume.

At the volume you are talking I think you would enjoy an RL1100 with a bullet feeder, but that will be a hassle to change over.

You might want to start with a 750 with the case feeder and start with 40, after you are in a groove with it, then you can decide if you want to change it over, or get a second press.

You didn't specify what you are comfortable spending, if you are shooting 20-30k rounds a year you are spending some money already.

You also didn't indicate if you are working or retired, 30k a year would be a buttload to load on a 550, unless you are retired. 😀 

Edited by mmc45414

I am with @GrumpyOne. My 550c from dillon is exactly what I need. I can control each stage of the process.  If anything comes up,I can move the shellplate to be able to correct something. BIG PLUS is dillons customer service, self help videos and of course their lifetime warranty.

I am not a mechanical wizard and did not have anyone to assist my reloading journey.  I learned  a lot   from my mistakes and from our fellow members .  I had a couple of  deformed parts that made my reloading slow. Dillon  (and our forum members) helped me diagnose a couple of  issues and  dillon replaced the parts needed to get my loaders working properly.

now that my presses are working as they should, I can make 3-400 rounds/session. making 15,000 can be done with reasonable investment of time.  I decided to buy one press for lpp 45  acp and one for 9mm loading. some folks  just  change out their tool heads and have one for  each caliber. That also requires  changing the primer parts for  spp  vs lpp   as needed.  options are there for the taking. 

good luck

I load those calibers on a 550B. Once I am set up and going it takes about 10 minutes per 100 rounds. 500 rounds an hour is a good estimate. Changing over the 550 is no big deal especially if you load in batches vs wanting to do 200 rounds each of .40, 9, and 45. 

I don't reload in the volume that you are talking about, but I'd be looking at the dillon 750 with case and bullet feeders or possibly a 550 for 9 and 45 and a 750 for .40. 

You don't need to own a chronograph if you have easy access to one. 

1 hour ago, SnipTheDog said:

The Frankfort Arsenal 10 station press might be pretty great if it ever comes out at the price that it has been listed for.  It's been rumored for a long time.

They just shipped 50 of them - first run to get all the bugs out.

Initial reports are positive. There are a couple or Facebook Groups  discussing them.

9 hours ago, warpspeed said:

They just shipped 50 of them - first run to get all the bugs out.

Initial reports are positive. There are a couple or Facebook Groups  discussing them.

Great news.  Good for Mark7 and Dillon to have some more competition.