Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Magazines

cbrussell

Because of the number of magazines, do you carry bullets out? Although I am a big guy, I am thinking that 5 magazines would be hard to accommodate otherwise. Which magazine holders do you prefer? Do you use a magnet? 

Thanks for the help.

I was just on the Henning website looking at their adjustable magazine pouches which use magnets. Holy cow, $100.00 per pouch? $500.00 for magazine pouches? I think I will look for other alternatives. Any thoughts?

I’m slowly… really really slowly, trying to get into single stack. I’m like you and can’t justify $500 on pouches.

I looking at trying the ghost pouches. I used them for CO and they did their job. I’ve only recently replaced the first pouch to a DAA Alpha xip for a little more adjustability. 

I use DAA racer pouches with a magnet on the first pouch.  Reasonable priced I think.

Also, bullets out is my preference but  tried both ways and left them bullets out after the switch.  Not a big difference just what you get used to.

Edited by Nc1911
Add

I have magazines in 6 pouches regardless of major or minor.  I also have 2 magnets for stow-and-go stages or when I’m shooting an outlaw match that has “monster” stages (typically around 60 round stages).

There are times when it benefits you to only shoot one target from a fresh magazine and then reload; having only 4 or 5 magazines on your belt can limit your ability to shoot plans such as that if you’re dropping partial mags instead of going to 8 on each mag.

I also like to have at least one more magazines on my belt than I think I’ll need in case I lose a mag unexpectedly (jam, fumbled reload, pulled out of the pouch by a mesh wall, etc).

I'm not a huge guy either.  I'm also a bullets forward guy.  My left hand does not work correctly, and bullets out is a pain to reload.    I run Racer pouches (not Racer Pro).  I like the pressure being placed on the rear of the mag.  Smoother draw.  I've also found the the  2011 setup works perfectly with 1911 mags.  No issues at all.

I've never needed more than four 10-round mags to complete any stage.  For major you will need five, just in case.  I like having a spare mag.  Six pouches starting behind my hip bone would send the last to the middle of my back.  Slow to draw from, and possibly fumbley.  Since you are now allowed to pull a mag from you pants (prior to start), I would run four pouches and a magnet.  That's five on the belt, plus two in the pocket.  I'd Barney mag it so I started with 8+1 for major.  For minor, three in a pouch, one on a magnet, one in the pocket, unless you also shoot major.  If so, four on the belt and one on the magnet for minor. 

BTW, A DAA stand-alone magnet is way strong enough to hole two 1911 mags securely, even with the cover on.

Edited by zzt

I use 7 of the DAA Racer pouches because they came as a set.  I usually only fill 5 of them (plus a starter mag in my pocket).  I go bullets forward and don't have much difficulty grabbing the last one.  If I used the last two (of the seven), they would be a little difficult to grab, but not impossible.

5 minutes ago, Effectus Magis Per Minor said:

I am shooting SS minor, running 5 Bladetech Pro mag pouches and they have worked great, with good adjustability and retention. 
https://blade-tech.com/products/signature-mag-pouch-pro?variant=39274648731738

How do you find the Tek Loc belt attachment working with competition belts?

6 minutes ago, cbrussell said:

How do you find the Tek Loc belt attachment working with competition belts?

I am glad you asked, I forgot to include in my post that I am using a 2" wide Uncle Mike's outer belt, wider than I think most are using. The Tek Loc has spacers for different width belts and it works great for me with the spacers removed.

8 minutes ago, Effectus Magis Per Minor said:

I am glad you asked, I forgot to include in my post that I am using a 2" wide Uncle Mike's outer belt, wider than I think most are using. The Tek Loc has spacers for different width belts and it works great for me with the spacers removed.

Thanks for the info.

On 10/2/2022 at 10:31 PM, cbrussell said:

I am thinking the same but with 6 pouches.

6 pouches makes the most sense to me. i prefer to not be coming to the line with a stray mag in my hand some of the time. just start every stage with 6 full mags. a couple times a year i find a stage where my plan has me using the 6th mag, so on those rare occasions I do bring an extra. You always need at least 1 more magazine than you intend to use. Maybe 2 if you miss alot on steel, lol.