Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Staccato xc comp cleaning

Raz22582

in a recent thread there was no clear conclusion about cleaning the gas systems.

all the usual suspects?

with hoppes leading by a mention.

have you considered not using it?

:--D  I could not resist.

miranda

depends on your goal, if you are having lots of buildup scraping it out with a pick works pretty well, if you just want your gun to look clean including inside the comp then probably a combination of scrape out any buildup and a ultrasonic cleaner followed by a sprits of case lube to keep the next layer from sticking.

Shooting Major PF loads I can shoot thousands of round without having problematic buildup, sure the inside of the comp gets black and there is a little buildup in the areas of the comp where the gas is not moving as fast like some of the corners (actually kind of cool to see where the gas is flowing or not).

36 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

depends on your goal, if you are having lots of buildup scraping it out with a pick works pretty well, if you just want your gun to look clean including inside the comp then probably a combination of scrape out any buildup and a ultrasonic cleaner followed by a sprits of case lube to keep the next layer from sticking.

Shooting Major PF loads I can shoot thousands of round without having problematic buildup, sure the inside of the comp gets black and there is a little buildup in the areas of the comp where the gas is not moving as fast like some of the corners (actually kind of cool to see where the gas is flowing or not).

If I read this right, you are saying use more of a slower powder to clean the comp as you shoot?

miranda

• 3 weeks later...

to remove loc-tite is a two count um two step process...

one -- heat to dissassemble 

two -- acetone to clean.

there are the usual disclaimers...

avoid shocking primers

don't inhale fumes

check the chamber again.

luck in your efforts.

miranda

Here is a PRO-tip for anyone that might be interested🙂 , before you go to the range spray some Dillions case lube in the comp, keep the gun virticle with a small pistol rack or some books until the stuff dries to a paste in the comp. It stays in place after many round, and will make cleaning the comp 10X more easy then if you didn't spray it.

I have 3 comped 1911's in 45 and love all of them. One is an STI-Costa CC. Some Dudes use gun oil for this, but I found oil doesn't stay in the comp very long. Use the case lube from Dillon.