Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aero lower and Taccom 9mm upper

Hey folks. I’m looking to build an inexpensive PCC for steel challenge and maybe USPSA. I’m considering an Aero Lower and Taccom Signature 9mm upper. I also have a Foxtrot Mike 9mm BCG. Anyone running this combo? Any experiences to share? Thanks in Advance. 

I have two Aero lowers one with BCA left side charge bolt and upper receiver and Taccom Barrel - runs great!  Have a second with Taccom bolt and barrel runs great also. Have a FTM bolt with Taccom 10/16 barrel on a Tennessee lower with the bolt modified for the upper deflector. - runs great! Sound like Tony Tiger - runs great - LOL 

I have 3 aero lowers and an 80% lower with the taccom upper that I run in USPSA all the time with over 3-4000 rounds thru and one failure to feed in all that time....I shoot the other aero lowers on occassion and have had very good results with them....just gave one to my youngest grandson and he has had no problems with the aero lower.   Send Tim the bcg and he will cut it for the taccom barrel....great guy to deal with and excellant products.

9 minutes ago, Walli said:

Contact Taccom and ask them what lower they do recommend. Just to play it safe.

I spoke with Taccom and they mentioned a number of lowers (including Aero) that should work with their upper. They also said that LRBHO was a bad idea and I should never use it. I created this post for feedback based on real-world experience.

Edited by SAM7
9 hours ago, dwzuspsa said:

I have 3 aero lowers and an 80% lower with the taccom upper that I run in USPSA all the time with over 3-4000 rounds thru and one failure to feed in all that time....I shoot the other aero lowers on occassion and have had very good results with them....just gave one to my youngest grandson and he has had no problems with the aero lower.   Send Tim the bcg and he will cut it for the taccom barrel....great guy to deal with and excellant products.

Thanks for the info!

I'm the guy........so when I say LRBHO is a bad idea.....I am saying that from a competition stand point. In USPSA.....you go to BHO anytime in a stage and you either didn't plan well....or for some reason, the bolt locked back on a half full magazine. Don't care if you are even in one of those states where you can only have 10 rounds......in competition: LRBHO (BHO for that matter) is a more of a liability than it is an advantage or helpful. If you start to tell that LRBHO is great for the 10 round states.....then you either can't count, or you need to work on planning out a COF before you shoot it.

In Steel Challenge......well.....no need to go into that.

In either of these competitions......when you come up to the line......you have your flag in the gun anyways.

I'm only going to tell you what you need to hear....not what you want to hear......I'm an old guy and I just lay it out straight and simple  :)

Tim

4 hours ago, TRUBL said:

I'm the guy........so when I say LRBHO is a bad idea.....I am saying that from a competition stand point. In USPSA.....you go to BHO anytime in a stage and you either didn't plan well....or for some reason, the bolt locked back on a half full magazine. Don't care if you are even in one of those states where you can only have 10 rounds......in competition: LRBHO (BHO for that matter) is a more of a liability than it is an advantage or helpful. If you start to tell that LRBHO is great for the 10 round states.....then you either can't count, or you need to work on planning out a COF before you shoot it.

In Steel Challenge......well.....no need to go into that.

In either of these competitions......when you come up to the line......you have your flag in the gun anyways.

I'm only going to tell you what you need to hear....not what you want to hear......I'm an old guy and I just lay it out straight and simple  :)

Tim

No argument here. I appreciate the honesty. Looking forward to being a customer. 👍

The way Taccom does their feed ramps can interfere with the last round bolt hold open setups. Their press-fit ramp is like that, and I don't know if their fully ramped barrels have that issue with every manufacturer. Angstadt it's not an issue, but it's also one more part that can fail. I left mine out since I'm basically never shooting to bolt lock. In my case, I'd only ever want it for some of those insane high round count 3-gun stages, and even that is just because I don't practice reloading into a 40-rounder.

6 hours ago, thermobollocks said:

The way Taccom does their feed ramps can interfere with the last round bolt hold open setups. Their press-fit ramp is like that, and I don't know if their fully ramped barrels have that issue with every manufacturer. Angstadt it's not an issue, but it's also one more part that can fail. I left mine out since I'm basically never shooting to bolt lock. In my case, I'd only ever want it for some of those insane high round count 3-gun stages, and even that is just because I don't practice reloading into a 40-rounder.

It does interfere with the FM9 lower but works just fine with the Aero lower. LRBHO and short stroke work perfectly with an Aero Upper and lower with the Taccom ESSB and superfeed barrels.

17 hours ago, thermobollocks said:

I think in the first part.....you are talking about our Glock feed ramp......we pretty much state that it will not work with anything LRBHO.

As for our super feed barrels.....they may or may not interfere with LRBHO......in the case of the FM9 and most others......all that is needed to be done is about .030" taken off the left side of the feed ramp 

27 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

I think in the first part.....you are talking about our Glock feed ramp......we pretty much state that it will not work with anything LRBHO.

As for our super feed barrels.....they may or may not interfere with LRBHO......in the case of the FM9 and most others......all that is needed to be done is about .030" taken off the left side of the feed ramp 

Yep! It's right in the instructions.

1 hour ago, TRUBL said:

Just to clarify, I have an Aero EPC-9 complete lower, a FM9 BCG, and a Radian Raptor charging handle. Do I need to make any modifications to anything in order for this to run with LRBHO? Or can I just assemble it all and head to the range? EDIT: Of course the taccom upper is implied, woops.

Edited by SAM7

The Aero EPC-9 LRBHO feature is in their upper. I don't think Taccom has it in their upper.

You lack the components to have LRBHO.

That being said, I have an Aero based PCC and a QC10 based PCC, both of their LRBHO are not reliable. Have tried with stock and extended Glock mags and Magpul mags.

I yanked the LRBHO guts from my competition PCC but was hoping to make it work with non competition PCC. Oh well.

20 hours ago, motherFNbrandon said:

That being said, I have an Aero based PCC and a QC10 based PCC, both of their LRBHO are not reliable. Have tried with stock and extended Glock mags and Magpul mags.

So I'm sarcastic and really hate LRBHO on the AR9........due to the EXACT reason you stated!!! It really sucks to rely on something unreliable. Some work, and work well.....others....well, not so much.

21 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

So I'm sarcastic and really hate LRBHO on the AR9........due to the EXACT reason you stated!!! It really sucks to rely on something unreliable. Some work, and work well.....others....well, not so much.

ha! I see that. Ok, so just to recap, Aero lower, Taccom Signature upper, Radian Raptor charging handle, and an FM9 BCG. Should I send the bolt your way to have the bolt cut for super feed?  Does Taccom offer a 14.5" version with p&w?  

Thanks for all of the feedback so far, everyone. AR9 is an adventure....

12 minutes ago, SAM7 said:

ha! I see that. Ok, so just to recap, Aero lower, Taccom Signature upper, Radian Raptor charging handle, and an FM9 BCG. Should I send the bolt your way to have the bolt cut for super feed?  Does Taccom offer a 14.5" version with p&w?  

Thanks for all of the feedback so far, everyone. AR9 is an adventure....

Send the bolt in.......no 14.5" but I do have a 13.5" that I can put a brake on......presently not listed on the website

Tim