Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lowest RDS?

If someone (me) had a sweet shooting pistol that no one will mill for an optic (Tristar P120), is there a dot out there that sits significantly lower than the rest, so that shooting Carry Optics with an adapter plate will no longer be a lame idea?  CGW used to mill slides for these, but it just wasn't profitable for the setup time. 

7 hours ago, terrydoc said:

Isn't it just a CZ sp01 clone? Surely someone can mill those....

CGW used to mill them. In fact, they made a whole bunch of race parts for them.  But it wasn't popular enough of a platform so they stopped making parts and the milling requires extra time or something so they don't offer the service anymore.  No one else I've contacted will mill them.  

1 hour ago, Effectus Magis Per Minor said:

Shield SMS2 or RMS2 sit very low.

Good suggestion. The shields look about as low as you can get, and the polymer frame model might offset the weight of an aluminum adapter plate a tiny bit.  They've got an XL model coming out too.  

14 minutes ago, dapribek said:

A lot of guys use red dots and EGW dovetail mounts. It just takes a little bit of dry firing and the higher dot makes no difference at all. Just a thought!

I've always wondered about the fixation on getting a dot as low as possible.  Does an extra 1/4" above the bore really affect anything? 

EGW mounts are very sturdy and very versatile and their thickness is quite small.  Look at the mounting brackets common on open guns which position dots well above the bore and higher than any dovetail mount. 

Edited by SteelCityShooter

I use to feel the same way of wanting the dot to be low as possible but after shooting open guns with frame mounted red dots I've come to the realization that it doesn't matter.

So a CO gun with a dovetail plate sits about the same height as an open gun with a frame mounted optic.

My CO guns all have plates. I can go between open and CO with no problems.

I never understood the the obsession with getting the dot low. Also machining a slide for one dot pattern locks you in.