Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting used to a race holster?

Bagellord

So I have been shooting USPSA since 2017, started in production, went to carry optics, then single stack up until now. I decided to play around in limited some this year, and got a good deal on a Dawson Precision built Edge that came with a race master.

I just cannot seem to get used to it. Obviously dry fire will help, but does anyone have any tips or techniques that will help ease the transition from a "traditional" drop and offset holster to the race style?

Personally, I use Kydex for everything except Open. I can do draws under .70 with Kydex so what is the race holster going to get me, except a DQ once in 2018 for dropping the gun during the COF before I even put my hand on it. 

my experience is that the race holster has no advantage and draw time but has some advantage in being to able to fit different guns. After single stack nationals I switched back to limited and had one bobble with my race holster so I took it off because ain’t nobody got time to f*#k with that s#!t.

I use a Race Master with inserts for all my pistols & revolvers, and I have no issue with it at all. 

So I guess if you want to stick with the race holster, just give it a week of dry firing and I'm sure you will be completely fine with it. 

I use a race holster because it accommodates all of my non-bullseye competition guns without modification.  TBS, I shoot Open with a frame mounted dot and thumb rest, so kydex is not an option.

14 hours ago, davsco said:

bagel, what are you finding that is more difficult vs kydex?

My draw stroke is just all weird because the gun clears the holster so much faster. It's causing me to porpoise

Draw should be same motion more or less. Gun Up, hands come together in front of chest, extend pistol towards target while looking down sight/dot, trigger press as you get min acceptable sight picture.

If you are trying more like gun out of holster fast and move muzzle towards target, then try to level it out - then find a sight picture, you won’t get any consistency.

Dont skip steps, it won’t be faster overall. If you want to have a faster 1st shot work on getting the least acceptable sight picture, quicker. Which comes from being efficient and repeatable.

You could jump out of an airplane with the race holster AND not lose your gun, try that with a kydex! I use the DAA versions..... Why take a chance???.... Maybe you need to get the kant and vertical adjusted to you whims?

1 hour ago, mikeAZ said:

You could jump out of an airplane with the race holster AND not lose your gun, try that with a kydex! I use the DAA versions..... Why take a chance???.... Maybe you need to get the kant and vertical adjusted to you whims?

lol, that would be true except almost everyone that gets dq’d for a dropped gun on a seated or laying down start is using a race holster. Perhaps if they had ‘jumping out of planes‘ starts it would be different.

there is certainly more to wrong with a race holster, but they do have some advantages as well. choose what you like and practice with it.

Edited by motosapiens

There is a difference in "race holsters". The Double Alpha has the locking lever outside in the rear location' It's unlikely to be dislodged while sitting or laying down, but anything is possible??... 

11 hours ago, motosapiens said:

ol, that would be true except almost everyone that gets dq’d for a dropped gun on a seated or laying down start is using a race holster. Perhaps if they had ‘jumping out of planes‘ starts it would be different.

1 hour ago, mikeAZ said:

There is a difference in "race holsters". The Double Alpha has the locking lever outside in the rear location' It's unlikely to be dislodged while sitting or laying down, but anything is possible??... 

It happens after the beep, they do not lock the holster before sitting/laying down and do not pay attention if they gun can fall out when getting up, or even sitting/laying down.

I have a DAA for 6 years and now I have a MRH, if it's locked the gun is staying in. No question about that.

Edited by xrayfk05