Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Parts to have when you can't afford a backup?

UpYoursPal

I don't know if this has been asked before, but for those of us who attend majors and can't realistically afford to drop an extra $5-7k for a second open gun, what are parts to keep on hand to keep your gun up and running?

Springs

pin set

slide stop

firing pin stop

firing pin

barrel link set

if you upgraded any part, trigger group, safeties,etc throw the take off parts in your bag

and hopefully a friend with a spare gun you can borrow

MOST IMPORTANT: a pre-Zero'd optic

Assuming that you are shooting a 2011, there are many potential failure points.  Some will be fixable, others impossible.  I agree with a prefitted thumb safety, especially if ambi. Pin sets and all the little parts are cheap insurance. Springs should be changed regularly especially before a big match. 

However, I would strongly reconsider getting a backup gun. The last thing you are going to want to do is detail strip your filthy gun at the safe table and try to insert the sear pin quickly. If you care enough to travel to majors, it is a necessity.  You don't need  to have a 7K carbon copy.  Get something used that mimics the weight/feel of your current gun.  Although not identical,  a plastic grip with a heavy magwell might be close enough to your steel grip.  Get the same length barrel and Popple hole configuration.  Make sure that your ammo chrono's similarly thru both guns

I agree with the backup gun.  I carry a lot of spare parts in my competition range bag.  The part that broke on my new Open gun was the frame.  It had to go back for warranty replacement.  I used my 1911 Open gun for the next match.  The very next day after I ordered parts to build a backup Open gun.  Murphy's Law states the part that breaks is the one you don't have.

In the Classifieds here you can often buy a used Open gun for a little money.  I recently saw one for $950.  There is no rule that says the backup has to be a close duplicate of your main gun.  I shot Open for years carrying a backup that was totally different than my primary.  I had to use it once at a major.  It took a stage to get used to it and I finished the match.  IMO, the only thing that HAS to be the same is the ammo and mags.

Edited by zzt

10 minutes ago, zzt said:

IMO, the only thing that HAS to be the same is the ammo and mags.

Even the Mags don't have to be the same if you bring the ones that fit, My backup currently is an old Caspian frankengun. 

One thing that I think gets lost in the backup gun discussion is, if your gun actually breaks it is most likely going to tank a stage bad, so changing to a backup is not going to "save" your match its going to let you finish the match and enjoy the day.

The exception is if your gun has a hiccup like say a single FTE and you switch to a backup at that point and do the diagnostics on why later. 

On 5/19/2022 at 1:00 PM, MikeBurgess said:

One thing that I think gets lost in the backup gun discussion is, if your gun actually breaks it is most likely going to tank a stage bad, so changing to a backup is not going to "save" your match its going to let you finish the match and enjoy the day.

The exception is if your gun has a hiccup like say a single FTE and you switch to a backup at that point and do the diagnostics on why later. 

That's an interesting point. spending 5k on a backup gun to finish a match after, zeroing a stage seems hardly worth it.

In a few hundred thousand rounds over many years the things that break and are replaceable at a match on my 2011s have been:  Thumb safeties.  Scope,  Extractor.

Firing pin stops will work a long time even after they crack.  Cracked slides and worn out barrels are not something you're gonna fix match day.  If you want more coverage, add a spring and pin set, ejector, slide stop (same diameter) and firing pin as well, but at some point throwing yourself at the mercy of a borrowed gun wins out.