Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8 Round Major Caliber Revolver

cbrussell

627 would be a USPSA 8 round major revolver. But if you shoot eight rounds in it in revolver division  you can only be scored minor. You would have to shoot it in maybe open, to be scored major. You could also only fire six at a time before reloads and be scored major if the rules are what they used to be. But it's been a while and I'm a touch fuzzy on revolver rules

Just now, RJH said:

627 would be a USPSA 8 round major revolver. But if you shoot eight rounds in it in revolver division  you can only be scored minor. You would have to shoot it in maybe open, to be scored major. You could also only fire six at a time before reloads and be scored major if the rules are what they used to be. But it's been a while and I'm a touch fuzzy on revolver rules

Yes, still true under current rules. 

1 hour ago, RJH said:

Revolvers are legal in Production and I bet Limited too.

Edited by twodownzero

8 minutes ago, twodownzero said:

Revolvers are legal in Production and I bet Limited too.

Yeah but no major in production and while 357 sig can make major in limited, I am pretty sure 357 mag doesn't. So major 8 shot  revolver really can only happen how I described. Unless you know of a rule that I don't

4 minutes ago, RJH said:

Yeah but no major in production and while 357 sig can make major in limited, I am pretty sure 357 mag doesn't. So major 8 shot  revolver really can only happen how I described. Unless you know of a rule that I don't

Neither can make major in Limited because of bullet diameter (.400" minimum), but likely either could in Open (.357 Magnum is much more powerful than 357 Sig, 357 Sig was designed to match 357 mag with 125 grain bullets, but 357 magnum has heavy loads for 158 grain commonly and uncommonly much heavier bullets).

My 627 S&W 8 shot revolver is able to make Major with both .357 and 38 Super

(and 38 Super in the Brownell's 8 rnd full moon clips)  

As stated above you score minor so there is no advantage. Also both are harder to extract fired cases from....

(Since 1997 I have shot 38 Colt Shorts with 130 gr Montana Gold .356 RN bullet at 134 PF)

Edited by Bill Sahlberg
missed info

37 minutes ago, twodownzero said:

Neither can make major in Limited because of bullet diameter (.400" minimum), but likely either could in Open (.357 Magnum is much more powerful than 357 Sig, 357 Sig was designed to match 357 mag with 125 grain bullets, but 357 magnum has heavy loads for 158 grain commonly and uncommonly much heavier bullets).

You might want to read the limited appendix. 

I should have been a bit more clear; story of my life. What I was trying to get at was there a revolver/caliber that satisfied Single Stack Major rules? I thought it would be cool to see 8 shot revolvers shoot against 8 shot single stack guns. No, I am not advocating another Division, just was curious. Based on my limited knowledge of revolvers, there is no currently manufactured 8 shot revolver in a caliber which would satisfy major Single Stack USPSA rules, ie. 40 and above. However, as I said, my revolver knowledge is limited at best. 😀

9 hours ago, cbrussell said:

I should have been a bit more clear; story of my life. What I was trying to get at was there a revolver/caliber that satisfied Single Stack Major rules? I thought it would be cool to see 8 shot revolvers shoot against 8 shot single stack guns. No, I am not advocating another Division, just was curious. Based on my limited knowledge of revolvers, there is no currently manufactured 8 shot revolver in a caliber which would satisfy major Single Stack USPSA rules, ie. 40 and above. However, as I said, my revolver knowledge is limited at best. 😀

CBR:

That would be pretty cool though.  Would look like a hand held Street Sweeper. 

Would be able to get a real good shoulder, forearm, wrist and pec workout when shooting too!  Concurrent training.

Would probably just stick with my 1911 though.

GG

11 hours ago, cbrussell said:

There is not. But you could buy a 627, shoot major ammo out of it in open division, and then compare your results to single stack in the overalls. Even if you shoot major ammo out of your revolver, you can't shoot revolvers in single stack division

At a local match I shot my 627 with full magnum reloads, 125 jhp @ a chrono'd 1450 f/s, on one stage.  Just changed the FS, classic so it's easy to do, to one that was very close to poa at 25 yds.  I warned the RO I was going to do it, and it still gave him a start.  Really didn't notice the recoil while running the COF and still placed very well for a Revolver, 50% vs 55+% to the top Open guys.  Wanted to do it as I was considering EDC with it, bit heavy but was still a viable option for me.  Now if I was to try it without hearing muffs!!!  Did that ONCE as a dumb 17 yr old, and my ears are still ringing.

Ended up going with a 325 TR though.

The bigger issue with the OP musing of a Revolver in SS, is it's not a SS?  And an 8 shot SS still usually has 9 rounds at the start.

For a better comparison one could go to IDPA, their COF's and rules actually make a 6 round revolver pretty competitive overall.

I switch back and forth from a M29 with specials with moon clips or a 325 TR.  Won a couple of local matches and usually will place about 10% off of my scores with a 9mm 1911.  

On 5/7/2022 at 2:26 PM, RJH said:

You might want to read the limited appendix. 

On 5/7/2022 at 7:50 PM, Sarge said:

👍

I don't know how long that has been there, but it seems incomprehensible in application.  .357 Sig and 10mm/.40 are not the same diameter, so which is it?  There can only be one answer.

I know it's been there since the last updated rule book, and I mean actual paper rule book. Pretty sure the reason they let 357 sig in is that it will easily make major power factor but it doesn't upset the balance of capacity compared to a 40. I know 38 super will easily make power factor as well, but the additional rounds it will hold will make a lot of guns obsolete, but 357 sig it doesn't actually matter. So it's 40 caliber and up with the exception of 357 sig.

On 5/8/2022 at 12:16 PM, pskys2 said:

At a local match I shot my 627 with full magnum reloads, 125 jhp @ a chrono'd 1450 f/s, on one stage.  Just changed the FS, classic so it's easy to do, to one that was very close to poa at 25 yds.  I warned the RO I was going to do it, and it still gave him a start.  Really didn't notice the recoil while running the COF and still placed very well for a Revolver, 50% vs 55+% to the top Open guys.  Wanted to do it as I was considering EDC with it, bit heavy but was still a viable option for me.  Now if I was to try it without hearing muffs!!!  Did that ONCE as a dumb 17 yr old, and my ears are still ringing.

Ended up going with a 325 TR though.

The bigger issue with the OP musing of a Revolver in SS, is it's not a SS?  And an 8 shot SS still usually has 9 rounds at the start.

For a better comparison one could go to IDPA, their COF's and rules actually make a 6 round revolver pretty competitive overall.

I switch back and forth from a M29 with specials with moon clips or a 325 TR.  Won a couple of local matches and usually will place about 10% off of my scores with a 9mm 1911.  

That would s an excellent point I did not consider; SS starts with 9 rounds, no way that a revolver can do that. Maybe if someone makes a 9 shot revolver. 😀😀😀

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...