Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 USPSA Limited Gun Recommendations

Jjju187

12 minutes ago, cbrussell said:

Could you expand on your comment? I am interested in a new Limited gun trying to decide between island and sight block. Any thoughts on barrel length for either? Thinking about a 6 inch barrel.

Thanks.

X2

5.4”

Edited by ramnj

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, cbrussell said:

Could you expand on your comment? I am interested in a new Limited gun trying to decide between island and sight block. Any thoughts on barrel length for either? Thinking about a 6 inch barrel.

Thanks.

I just personally don’t like the way the recoil feels compared to an island barrel. The sightblock guns do shoot soft and flat but it almost feels slow to me. Lots of guys love them.

6” inch limited guns were all the rage years ago. Then fell out of favor. It’s all personal preference really. The 6” gives you a longer sight radius. Personally with the steel grips I like a 5” gun. I’ve built them all including. An island barrel sight block. 

34 minutes ago, donnyglock said:

I just personally don’t like the way the recoil feels compared to an island barrel. The sightblock guns do shoot soft and flat but it almost feels slow to me. Lots of guys love them.

6” inch limited guns were all the rage years ago. Then fell out of favor. It’s all personal preference really. The 6” gives you a longer sight radius. Personally with the steel grips I like a 5” gun. I’ve built them all including. An island barrel sight block. 

Of all the SV's I shot while on the team, my favorite was the 5.4" sight tracker.

3 hours ago, donnyglock said:

How about 6 inch sight block or island barrel guns? Any thoughts? 

How about 5 inch sight block guns?

23 minutes ago, cbrussell said:

How about 6 inch sight block or island barrel guns? Any thoughts? 

How about 5 inch sight block guns?

Never built a 6” sightblock or island barreled guns. I like 5” island barreled guns.

The island barrels and sight blocks definitely seem like a cool concept, but without ever trying one I’m having a hard time justifying the upgrade price/value. I’m definitely leaning towards steel grip.

I had Dan at D2 Customs build me a island barrel with sight block 5.4" limited gun last year. Going from a 5" bull barrel STI ended with steel cheely grip to the D2 gun took a lot more getting used to then I expected. But I will say after shooting half a season with it I like the 5.4" gun way more. 

FB_IMG_1631771446442.jpg

On 5/15/2022 at 3:23 PM, Bakerjd said:

I had Dan at D2 Customs build me a island barrel with sight block 5.4" limited gun last year. Going from a 5" bull barrel STI ended with steel cheely grip to the D2 gun took a lot more getting used to then I expected. But I will say after shooting half a season with it I like the 5.4" gun way more. 

FB_IMG_1631771446442.jpg

That is interesting. Great looking gun.

On 5/6/2022 at 4:50 PM, Ssanders224 said:

Does Stacucoo make an XL in .40? 

If not, I'd highly recommend not buying one for Limited. 

Get a Honcho. They are FANTASTIC in Limited configuration, and you can shoot other divisions down the road if you feel the urge. 

+1 for the PT Honcho. It is the way to go with interchangeable breach and barrel configurations for different divisions. It will save you a lot of cash down the road

I shot a atlas nemesis this past weekend and own a STI Edge. The atlas was far superior. My guess would be that the weight and balance played the most in that. The sight block added that muzzle weight I wanted and it tracked right back on target. Currently saving up the dollar bills to get one myself. It sold me. 

8 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

I shot a atlas nemesis this past weekend and own a STI Edge. The atlas was far superior. My guess would be that the weight and balance played the most in that. The sight block added that muzzle weight I wanted and it tracked right back on target. Currently saving up the dollar bills to get one myself. It sold me. 

Nice to hear.  I'm hoping the Artemis is pretty awesome in 9mm.  Mine should be here any day now.

1 hour ago, ramnj said:

Has anybody shot both the Nemesis and Artemis that can share an option?  They both have a sight block but the Artemis is 5” and Nemesis 5.2” I believe. 

According to the  information on the AGW website, for 40 major and USPSA, the Nemesis is softer/flatter with the steel grip longer sight radius.

Another builder to check out would be Matt McLearn.  I do believe he will do full custom work, whatever you want within reason.  He was an ISPC World Champion & USPSA National Champion (in the same year), shooting guns he built.  He did a reliability package on one of my guns and the work was perfect, plus the turnaround time was inside two weeks.  He is considered to be a master gunsmith.  Obviously this is a man who strives to be the very best, and then puts in the work to achieve that.  I have no doubt that no one has more knowledge of how to build reliable 1911s and 2011s, plus the proven ability to do it consistently.

I can't speak for his turnaround time on a new build, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's far superior to outfits that have you waiting a year or more.

https://mclearncustomguns.com/About/

3 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

Another builder to check out would be Matt McLearn.  I do believe he will do full custom work, whatever you want within reason.  He was an ISPC World Champion & USPSA National Champion (in the same year), shooting guns he built.  He did a reliability package on one of my guns and the work was perfect, plus the turnaround time was inside two weeks.  He is considered to be a master gunsmith.  Obviously this is a man who strives to be the very best, and then puts in the work to achieve that.  I have no doubt that no one has more knowledge of how to build reliable 1911s and 2011s, plus the proven ability to do it consistently.

I can't speak for his turnaround time on a new build, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's far superior to outfits that have you waiting a year or more.

https://mclearncustomguns.com/About/

Yes sir, he does badass work for sure

I appreciate all the input! I ended up going with Venom Custom. After speaking with Don and looking at the other reviews/pictures, it was exactly what I’m looking for. I went with a bull barrel 5” setup.