Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Coffee Pot

Patrick Sweeney

My wife got me a new coffee maker. The pot is a thermos carafe, and once brewed it stays hot without the need for a heating element. Now I can brew a pot, and take the coffee right to the office with me.

Next up, intravenous drip!

Welcome to the 21st century! Aren't they great? I also like that the coffee flavor doesn't change much over time --- as it cools. With the burner/glass carafe coffee makers, I always noticed an unpleasant flavor shift after 20-30 minutes.....

I have had a couple of the Cuisinart pots that have the built in grinder. Set it all up the night before and great, fresh ground and brewed coffee first thing in the morning. My next one will the a thermal carafe version of the same thing. The last one would have been that version but they were out and the coffee pot was dead. You do NOT want to deal with my wife in the morning sans coffee.

Now if someone would just come with a french press that has a timer, grinder, and thermal carafe..... You just cannot beat french press coffee.

That place that you can subscribe to. Gevalia will give you one of those coffee pots for free if you subscribe.

My wife and I have gotten coffe from Cevalia for 15 years, we got the same flyer to get the new pot with grinder,= it was a seperate grinder and a seperate coffee maker.

but like the add said coffey maker and grinder.

You don't even want to be around me without caffeine. I drink at least one to two pots a day.

Wow! Ive never been that bad, when I was at my worst (drinking 3-5 ice coffee's a day) I got kidney stones from being deydrated and not drinking enough water to flush out the gravel in your kidneys. That hurt so bad, Ive slowed down and make sure to drink a lot of water if Im drinking more coffee than usual. My father in law is Greek and when he came back from Greece, he showed me how to make a real ice coffee, not like it is made here in the US. There are great, but can be addicting.

i also recently purchased a new coffee maker.

http://www.bunnomatic.com/pages/windows/BT10B.html

it will push out a full pot of coffee in 3 minutes at 200 degrees. after years of using the cheaper makers i believe this is the way to go for home use. the water must be as hot as possible to extract the full flavor. this is why the commercial coffee we buy at $3 a cup taste so good, not to mention other things. i never used to make coffee at home because i could never get it to taste the same as store bought but now that has all changed with my new coffee maker.

• 2 years later...

I was looking for something else (Patrick...where is that thread where you tested all the 45 guns and loads?) and found this.

For Christmas, we got a Cuisinart that has the built in grinder and the thermos carafe. That carafe kicks ass. Coffee stays nice and hot (forever) and it doesn't turn on ya. (Ours has valve that limits the intake of outside air, which can't hurt.)

Right before that, we had a gift certificate from Bed, Bath & Beyond...used that to get a french press. I never knew anything about a french press and had been looking into them. It's a freakin glass beaker with a screen on a plunger. Gotta love that. Fantastic coffee.

Our machine with the built n grinder/timer, etc is nice.... set the timer to start @ 0430, and when i get out of the shower at 0445 hot fresh coffee is awaiting. Beautiful.

OTOH... I have some really nice coffee that I would never put through it... it is reserved for the French Press. In fact, I love my pressed coffee so much that I bought one made out of plexiglas to take on my hiking trips. Sitting on a stream bank next to a small campfire in the toolies with a world class cup of java in one hand, and my fishing rod in the other.... life can be so good.

Wonder if Linda Chico has seen this? :lol::goof::devil::goof::lol::devil:

Been lurking for a while. After several folks thought 2 pots of coffee a day was excessive (I'm assuming 12 cup pots), I figured I'd better not join the conversation. :ph34r:

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

We went through two of the Cuisinart grind and brew pots in about three years. The grinders aren't water sealed and the steam from the brew basket condenses in the grinder eventually causing the grinder motor to seize. Not really the right way to start the day. I strongly urge you to take the time to clean out the grinder after the coffee has finished brewing rather than letting it set until you get around to it (usually that evening for us).

Wife had purchased one of these http://www.liquidplanet.com/Planetary-Desi...sses-p-237.html just about a month before the last Cuisinart blew for weekend use. We have pressed it (pun intended) into every day use instead of buying another grind and brew. We have a "hot spot" in the kitchen sink so wonderful French press coffee is less than 10 minutes away in the AM. If you preheat this pot with a bit of hot water it will hold the coffee warm for many hours (although the coffee never lasts that long around here).

The Planetary Design travel mugs are also awesome.

Two pots a day is nothing to be concerned with. ;) In grad school I regularly killed off 3 or 4 pots a day. Had to quit coffee entirely for six months to break that habit.

its nice to see this thread resurrected. I was talking 8 cup pots Linda I was a weakling.

though starting this doctorate thing has me pushing more. I could use a caffeine IV drip at this point.

its nice to see this thread resurrected. I was talking 8 cup pots Linda I was a weakling.

though starting this doctorate thing has me pushing more. I could use a caffeine IV drip at this point.

What I'm talking about is I don't think anyone has ever seen me without coffee. I really don't drink anything else. I have no idea what my total coffee intake daily amounts to . . . I brew at least 3 to 4 liters myself daily (filling a large 2 liter carafe at least twice daily) and also drink coffee at work and in restaurants. Hard to estimate the amount I drink at work, because the 12 oz travel mug I use is never really empty.

I love dark roast (French Roast, Sumatran, Ethiopian, Espresso, etc) but will drink Folgers or Maxwell House if that's all that I can find. This has been a 30 + years habit. There have been a few people who have seen me when the coffee level was low. Not a pretty sight. I keep a supply of chocolate covered espresso beans around in case the liquid supply runs out.

Feel like I should sign off as Confessions of a caffeine addict :blush:

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC