Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder selection for 9mm major

20 hours ago, Stage 3 said:

7.6 grains N350, 124 JHP, WSR primers

Not trying to start an argument. Just stating a difference.

I use N350 with 124 gr Precision Delta JHP both V1 and V2 though I use V2 now exclusively. Shooting a re-barreled old STI Tubor and a newer Venom both 9mm at 1.165 OAL , I get 170 PF consistently with 7.1 grains N350. I use new Starline brass and some one fired brass. 

The case is quite full at 7.1 grains. I'm not certain I could get 7.6 in a 9mm case and my data says I don't need it. 7.6 sounds more like a 115 grain load to me if you can cram it in the case. 

Not necessarily disagreeing with OP. His data could be correct for his circumstances. Its just different from my results. My results are consistent with others I know.

Edited by Brooke

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have solely used Shooters World Major Pistol.  Lots of people complain of it being really dirty, which I agree if using small pistol primers.  I switched to small rifle primers and it’s much cleaner.  Very consistent on the meter, and very very soft shooting powder.  Just hard to find right now.

I have a question for anyone who has used SWMP and AA7. I've read SWMP is a tad slower and needs a heavier charge. Out of the 2 powders, what is your preference? I have several lbs AA7 but really want to try SWMP. Thank you

3 hours ago, Open1215 said:

I have a question for anyone who has used SWMP and AA7. I've read SWMP is a tad slower and needs a heavier charge. Out of the 2 powders, what is your preference? I have several lbs AA7 but really want to try SWMP. Thank you

There are three recent batches of SWMP.  I have the earlier batch which is the faster lot.  Same as AA7.  The middle lot was slower.  The third lot took almost an extra grain to make the same PF.  I'm going to stick with AA7 going forward, because it is supposed to be more consistent lot to lot.

I shoot 9 major, so having to put an extra grain in would be a deal killer.  It would spill out of the case when the shell plate turned.  If it didn't, I wouldn't care.  It is very compressible.  SWMP is usually $30 cheaper than AA7 for an 8 lb. jug.

From what limcat has told me their go to powders for 9major is n340 and autocomp.   They prefer n340 because it’s softer feeling and more consistent but not as available as autcomp.  They have tested other powders but found that n340 for 9major is what they feel is best for their builds in 9mm.   That is probably what I’ll go with seeing as how I have a new blaster coming in from them this week. 

89183F59-99F0-45B8-A88B-2DD4B3CAFA7D.jpeg

I usually run AA7 in 38 super and SWMP in 9 major. As luck would have it, my 38 load is 9.8 of AA7 and 124 gr JHP from Precision Delta and 9major is 9.5 of SWMP. 9 is a shorty and 38 is full size. I'm not a huge fan of 9 major even though I do shoot it from time to time, to me 38 super is a much better feel at same power factor but the SWMP is about a close to "good feeling" load as I have shot in 9m.

On 4/12/2022 at 5:00 AM, Brooke said:

Not trying to start an argument. Just stating a difference.

I use N350 with 124 gr Precision Delta JHP both V1 and V2 though I use V2 now exclusively. Shooting a re-barreled old STI Tubor and a newer Venom both 9mm at 1.165 OAL , I get 170 PF consistently with 7.1 grains N350. I use new Starline brass and some one fired brass. 

The case is quite full at 7.1 grains. I'm not certain I could get 7.6 in a 9mm case and my data says I don't need it. 7.6 sounds more like a 115 grain load to me if you can cram it in the case. 

Not necessarily disagreeing with OP. His data could be correct for his circumstances. Its just different from my results. My results are consistent with others I know.

I had a Limcat that needed 7.4g N350 to make 170 and the case wasn’t too full. My SV load is 7.5 and case is not full. It’s about 171 at that load and 1.170

Took the new limcat out yesterday to test fire it.    It’s amazing how flat it shoots and how well balanced it is in the hand.   It only weighs two an a half ounces more then my chaos and yet it feels lighter.   Crazy how nice it shoots.  On a 10 inch plate at 15 yards I’m double tapping the plate with .16 splits and the dot never leaves the plate.   Although the current load I have worked up for the chaos is a little underpowered in the limcat.  Having a few fte and ftf issues(slide is short stroking and not quite ejecting the spent round sometimes and sometimes not coming all the way back to pick up the next round)  (out of 600 rounds I had maybe 30 failures)  I think I can reduce weight on the recoil spring to a 7lb and rectify the issues.  I have quite a bit of loaded ammo with that recipe so I’ll attempt to play with springs before working up a new load.  

Edited by OpenshooterAclass4lyfe

On 4/11/2022 at 6:13 PM, iflyskyhigh said:

RMR or Everglades JHP

I'm limited by mag length so 1.155 to 1.160

I used to run silhouette 7.6 grs gave me 1468 FPS

I've switched to SWMP and think it's better for all the reasons discussed above. 9.9grs gives me the same 1465ish, but with more gas. Comp runs better, gun shoots flatter.

Where In the world can you find SWMP now days ? I can find aa7 in a few places but shooter world is out of stock every where 

51 minutes ago, Bwilmot said:

Where In the world can you find SWMP now days ? I can find aa7 in a few places but shooter world is out of stock every where 

I picked up 2 8# jugs a few months ago via Grafs. AA7 seems to be made in batches only a couple of times a year, and I'm assuming that SWMP only gets imported a couple of times a year. Honestly, I prefer AA7. Both of the 8# jugs of SWMP I picked up are the "medium" burning 115 lot of SWMP - not the fast lot that has the same burn rate as AA7 and not the slowest burning. 9.6gr of AA7 behind a 124 JHP got me 172PF and I need 10.2gr of SWMP to hit the same. 

Edited by pealandco

I tried a few powders (HS6, 3n37, 3n38, AA#7, Power Pistol and Autocomp) under 115gr and 125gr Zero bullets. I settled on 3n37 for now because it gave me the best accuracy producing .6" groups at 25yds. Autocomp did the same but was noticeably dirtier.

HS6 did ok but left a fine grit everywhere and 3n38 was just too full in my cases that it was messy to load, not to mention very compressed.

I have been using AA7 for about 10k rounds now. I’m thinking of going back to HS-6 however because AA7 is just way too dirty for me. Leaves unburnt powder EVERYWHERE in the gun and gums everything and needs to be cleaned way more often that I would ever think it should  otherwise it slows down my slide too much (this starts around 150-200 rounds and is unbearable by 4-500 rounds). I tried hs-6 before and remember it felt a little harsher, but under the timer I don’t remember feeling much difference. Will possibly load up some test rounds this weekend to try.

Or if anyone has any suggestions for making the aa7 shoot a little cleaner I’ll take any suggestions I can get. shooting 9.7gr 124JHP PD V1 getting around 173 PF out of my Honcho. It’s a great feeling, flat shooting round, but is just getting too dirty for me and seems to be a common consensus from multiple other local shooters. 

1 hour ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I have been using AA7 for about 10k rounds now. I’m thinking of going back to HS-6 however because AA7 is just way too dirty for me. Leaves unburnt powder EVERYWHERE in the gun and gums everything and needs to be cleaned way more often that I would ever think it should  otherwise it slows down my slide too much (this starts around 150-200 rounds and is unbearable by 4-500 rounds). I tried hs-6 before and remember it felt a little harsher, but under the timer I don’t remember feeling much difference. Will possibly load up some test rounds this weekend to try.

Or if anyone has any suggestions for making the aa7 shoot a little cleaner I’ll take any suggestions I can get. shooting 9.7gr 124JHP PD V1 getting around 173 PF out of my Honcho. It’s a great feeling, flat shooting round, but is just getting too dirty for me and seems to be a common consensus from multiple other local shooters. 

Hs6 is really dirty too.  After 5-600 rounds there’s crap all in the gun and it really dirties up the dot while shooting.     I plan to go with VV for my next powder 

Just now, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

Hs6 is really dirty too.  After 5-600 rounds there’s crap all in the gun and it really dirties up the dot while shooting.     I plan to go with VV for my next powder 

Yes. If you can get it you must buy it. That powder is extremely clean and consistent.Yes. If you can get it you must buy it. That powder is extremely clean and consistent.

14 hours ago, sharko said:

I tried a few powders (HS6, 3n37, 3n38, AA#7, Power Pistol and Autocomp) under 115gr and 125gr Zero bullets. I settled on 3n37 for now because it gave me the best accuracy producing .6" groups at 25yds. Autocomp did the same but was noticeably dirtier.

HS6 did ok but left a fine grit everywhere and 3n38 was just too full in my cases that it was messy to load, not to mention very compressed.

I’ve heard the VV powders were some of the cleanest out there.  Pricey.  But real clean burning.  I’ve heard n350 n340 3n37 and 3n38 were all good.  

On 4/11/2022 at 6:32 AM, zzt said:

I don't get the AA7/SWMP is dirty remarks.  I use it and it is clean as a whistle.  I load 10.2gr under a 115 HAP @ 1.161" OAL.  169 PF with SDs in the 5 and 6 range.  I've gone up to 10.8gr while testing.  I didn't chrono those loads.  They were definitely softer, flatter and louder than the 10.2 loads.  The reason I stay with 10.2 is I get no spillage when the shell plate turns.  I get a little at 10.4, and a little more at 10.6.  10.8 gets a little messy.  It's still less messy than 9.4gr 3N38.  That stuff just jumps out of the case.

I use AA7 because I like the flat and soft feel it gives, and it's somewhat available.

But it's pretty dirty for me, with most of the crud accumulating around the front frame rails.

I'm curious - What primers do you use? I wonder if you're getting a bigger or hotter spark and therefore getting a more complete burn?

For context (and I suspect might be part of the reason for the dirtiness) my Limcat has 4 giant popple holes starting 2" after the chamber.

1 minute ago, SergioSF said:

I use AA7 because I like the flat and soft feel it gives, and it's somewhat available.

But it's pretty dirty for me, with most of the crud accumulating around the front frame rails.

I'm curious - What primers do you use? I wonder if you're getting a bigger or hotter spark and therefore getting a more complete burn?

For context (and I suspect might be part of the reason for the dirtiness) my Limcat has 4 giant popple holes starting 2" after the chamber.

You just answered your own question.  You are not getting a good burn and the first poppel is depositing all that crud on the front frame rails.  I use CCI 500 primers.  My poppels are either two 3/16" in the comp itself, or three 5/32" starting 1/2" from the end of the barrel.

You might try using magnum SPPs or SRPs to get a hotter spark.  I don't know if this is a thing in pistol primers, but in shotshell primers there are two types, hot gas and hot particle.  Federal 209 primers are hot particle.  The are shot into the powder and ignite more of it at the same time.  They also generate higher pressured than the hot gas type.  Do some research and see if there are any pistol primers of the hot particle type.

10 hours ago, zzt said:

You just answered your own question.  You are not getting a good burn and the first poppel is depositing all that crud on the front frame rails.  I use CCI 500 primers.  My poppels are either two 3/16" in the comp itself, or three 5/32" starting 1/2" from the end of the barrel.

You might try using magnum SPPs or SRPs to get a hotter spark.  I don't know if this is a thing in pistol primers, but in shotshell primers there are two types, hot gas and hot particle.  Federal 209 primers are hot particle.  The are shot into the powder and ignite more of it at the same time.  They also generate higher pressured than the hot gas type.  Do some research and see if there are any pistol primers of the hot particle type.

Thanks. I’ll test and see what SRP (magnum) might do for me. 
fingers crossed since it’s not like I can plug the popple holes :)

20 minutes ago, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

Have you tried asking the manufacturer of the gun what load data they recommend? 

Haha. They will not recommend any 9mm Major loads 

16 minutes ago, Posvar said:

Haha. They will not recommend any 9mm Major loads 

Depends. I have seen builders recommend loads. No Glock won’t if you decide to try that route.

9 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Depends. I have seen builders recommend loads. No Glock won’t if you decide to try that route.

My bad. I read it on my phone as powder manufacture. Yes, most builders will recommend a load.