Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear Pro for Steel challenge

Wiscat

I shot my first SC match a few weeks ago.  I shot my USPSA CO gun and a RFPO.  I shot it with the intention of shooting a match or two working on transitions for USPSA….. Needless to say I’m shopping for a 10/22 for RFRO.  But that’s another story.

The issue I had with my rimfire was my cheap Walker electronic ear muffs were not resetting fast enough to hear my hits.  I ended up doubling on several stages unsure of hits. My question is what is everyone using for hearing protection? If I’m going to get serious about this I need to be able to hear my hits and not waste the time reengaging target.

Thanks!

My Impact Sports seem to do a decent enough job for me. Max Michel uses Pro Ears and I’d guess they work well for him at a little higher price. 

With that said, In order for me to build any real speed I couldn’t wait around listening for hits. I would make sure I had that decent sight picture, pull the trigger and move on to the next. 

2 hours ago, Wiscat said:

I shot my first SC match a few weeks ago.  I shot my USPSA CO gun and a RFPO.  I shot it with the intention of shooting a match or two working on transitions for USPSA….. Needless to say I’m shopping for a 10/22 for RFRO.  But that’s another story.

The issue I had with my rimfire was my cheap Walker electronic ear muffs were not resetting fast enough to hear my hits.  I ended up doubling on several stages unsure of hits. My question is what is everyone using for hearing protection? If I’m going to get serious about this I need to be able to hear my hits and not waste the time reengaging target.

Thanks!

You shouldn’t be waiting to hear your hits.   Get a sight picture and pull the trigger.  Call your shot and move on to the next target.     

with that said I like the Walker r600s for when I would shoot rimfire and minor pf loads.    Gotta get some aftermarket foam plugs for them because the factory ones suck but it was only an extra 20 bucks for the memory foam ones. 

I use Howard Leight Impact Sport over the ear for USPSA, really like them after I changed out the stock ear cup pads with gel pad replacements.  Started shooting SC and continued using my Impact Sports, but quickly found I needed to change to an in ear option due to problems getting a good cheek weld on my RFRO.  Got a good deal on the 3M Peltor EEP-100(Kit) in ear model, which after using for a few matches seem to be OK, but I'm still evaluating before I would recommend them to others.

How is your hearing?  I wear hearing aides and I can hear my wife's rimfire hits without turning on my muffs.  The distant plates in OL and Showdown can be hard to hear depending on wind and the shape of the bay.

23 hours ago, Wiscat said:

The issue I had with my rimfire was my cheap Walker electronic ear muffs were not resetting fast enough to hear my hits.  If I’m going to get serious about this I need to be able to hear my hits and not waste the time reengaging target.

I'm pretty sure those who are serious don't wait to hear the steel ring.  They call their shots and know if they missed or hit immediately, even before the sound has a chance to make it back to them.

That goes triple if using optics.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

14 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

I'm pretty sure those who are serious don't wait to hear the steel ring.  They call their shots and know if they missed or hit immediately, even before the sound has a chance to make it back to them.

That goes triple if using optics.

Agree those who are serious and reaching for upper levels don't wait to hear the steel ring.  However, if you shoot Steel Challenge you want to hear the steel ring from the shot you just took after you have moved to the next shot to provide confirmation of that last shot.  When you are shooting steel very fast, especially in Steel Challenge, you're not really moving at a pace where you have the luxury of calling each shot.  For example, if you are shooting "Smoke and Hope" very fast you probably only see your sights (irons or Red Dot) as a blur moving across the targets and you don't call each shot visually.  So...if we look back on the original post, believe the OP was talking about shooting Steel Challenge and asking for opinions about what hearing protection to use?

Edited by ShredderTactical
clarification

While you shouldn't wait for the ring, it's still nice to hear it.  I'm using the 3M Peltor TEP-100's with the foam Skull Screws.  I find these comfortable and the batteries last all day.  They fully charge in a few hours and the charger takes 3 AA batteries.  When I step to the line I hit the button to amplify the sound.  When doen turn it back to normal for standard conversation. 

I am not a fan of having my ears completely enclosed, especially in the summer.  Plus, most electronic muffs are not stereo so it's hard to tell which direction sound is coming from.  

12 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

While you shouldn't wait for the ring, it's still nice to hear it.  I'm using the 3M Peltor TEP-100's with the foam Skull Screws.  I find these comfortable and the batteries last all day.  They fully charge in a few hours and the charger takes 3 AA batteries.  When I step to the line I hit the button to amplify the sound.  When doen turn it back to normal for standard conversation. 

I am not a fan of having my ears completely enclosed, especially in the summer.  Plus, most electronic muffs are not stereo so it's hard to tell which direction sound is coming from.  

Where did you get the skull screws? I can only find them in large quantities.

23 hours ago, EarlKeese said:

I buy the 10 pair boxes. I tear one every once in a while so it's worth having spares. A pair will last me a few months usually. A 10 pair box is around $25

On 4/15/2022 at 10:06 PM, EarlKeese said:

Just like @Gregg K said.  I got the 10 pack and usually put on a fresh set at the beginning of the season and (depending on how dirty or if they rip) I'll put another set on in the middle.  

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEY4RRO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by bigdawgbeav

I can't use muffs with my rifles. I tried several types of electronic plugs and the Peltor TEP-100 have been the best for me. Been using them with the skull screws for about 3 years now and still happy.

• 2 months later...

If you're serious about the sport, save on electronic ear pros unless you want to chat with people and can't hear well. I don't use electronic ear pros. I used to, I would turn them off before I shot and would turn them on after.

Research how to call your shots with your eyes and feelings. 

Shoot paper targets first and practice calling your shots faster with your eyes.

Diy custom molded ear pros on eBay work great for steel challenge. they're very cheap.

• 2 months later...

I agree with not wiring for ring confirmation before engaging the next target. I listen for the ring for confirmation in case I need to do a makeup. That said, my cheapo walkers work. Maybe yours are going bad…which has happened to me. 

• 1 month later...

I splurged on a pair of Pro Ears Gold for the super fast response time.  But, in the end, I ended up just calling my shots.  The Pro Ears are very good muffs and they do help in deadening the noise from nearby Open shooters.