Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ext mag release

Shooter212

Springer has two (at least last time I checked...)

One version is similar to OEM but extended out a bit farther.

The other has an attached paddle.

I have both. Prefer the paddle.

3 hours ago, Nuncles said:

I went with the extended non paddle version. If I didn't get my grip right with the paddle version, I would release the mag.

I did watch someone drop a mag on a table start the last match I was at. Honestly, never even considered that to be a possible failure. He said that it was most likely due to pressing the gun into the table and hitting the mag release. its forever etched in my brain now as a fear lol. Not sure of which release

2 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

I did watch someone drop a mag on a table start the last match I was at. Honestly, never even considered that to be a possible failure. He said that it was most likely due to pressing the gun into the table and hitting the mag release. its forever etched in my brain now as a fear lol. Not sure of which release

Been there, done that.  2x.  🤬

3 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

Dropping mags on a table or barrel start is a big problem with the springer paddle. You have to be extra careful. I’ve had is happen a few times even when consciously being careful. I finally switched. 

Max Michel has actually altered his table start pickup to deal with this problem. He faces the paddle side up, picks the gun up with his offhand and places it into his strong hand. 

13 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

Dropping mags on a table or barrel start is a big problem with the springer paddle. You have to be extra careful. I’ve had is happen a few times even when consciously being careful. I finally switched. 

Max Michel has actually altered his table start pickup to deal with this problem. He faces the paddle side up, picks the gun up with his offhand and places it into his strong hand. 

I likey!!

21 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

Though sounds like some serious practice to get the hang of it and make it repeatable. But it wouldn’t be a bad thing to learn. I’ll have to give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!! 

27 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

I have actually changed my table starts after dropping two mags after telling myself not to bang the gun into the barrel when picking up and still dropping mags.  I have since changed my table start by using the off hand to tilt the gun before grabbing with the strong hand.  I do not feel I loose anytime at all.  If I do its a super minimal amount of time.

One shooter at our local kept dropping the mag while shooting. Obviously the Springer Paddle did not agree with his grip.  I traded him a first gen (the Longer OEM version) Springer extended mag release for his paddle release.  He does not drop mags anymore.  Maybe something to think about.  Possibly a try before you buy type of thing.  

Edited by Boomstick303

53 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I do not feel I loose anytime at all.  If I do its a super minimal amount of time.

I can’t imagine that one would lose much time at all. To me, regardless of strong hand first or support hand, the other is going to get planted before firing anyways. Just something new to work at. I think I’ll give it a shot this weekend. 

beyond that, reloading because of a dropped mag will always be longer than planting your second hand lol. 

9 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

I have a springer but looking to try out the align offset. However, I don’t think it’ll be any better. I have smaller hands so the springer isn’t in the way for me. 

I have the align offset , but went back to the springer paddle. The offset portion of the align offset does not work for me.