Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RTS2 battery life when not in use

Chillywig

I have a RTS2 mounted on a ruger mark 4 set up for steel challenge. I got it out in October 2021 to do some accuracy comparisons and the battery was dead. It had been a while since I shot it and did not think anything of it and put a new energizer in there. I have not touched the gun till this week when steel challenge started back up and the battery was dead again. So ya its been sitting for 6 months untouched and kilt another battery. It is a 10moa V4 - anything I should be checking other than looking for other than another dead battery?

20220405_225814_resized.jpg

Is there a way to shut it off totally or is it one that stays on all the time or just sleeps? I hate those electronics that you can’t turn off or draw power in order to stay off. 

Not an RTS2 but I just checked both my DPP sights that I have not used since September 2019. Both sights are still working.

If I recall I put new Duracell batteries in them both at the start of that year. So whatever matches I shot in 2019 plus 2.5 years sitting in a box.

I think I have 4 or 5 RTS2s. They are all either V3 or V4s. They are supposed to go to sleep after being on for so many hours. The V5s are motion activated. On the other sights I don't think I have ever found one just dead when I go to turn it on. Usually I think it does not seem quite bright enough and swap out the battery or put it on a volt meter to confirm its running low. I will turn this one on tonight and confirm it turns itself off. But I usually check and double check everything; unloaded, no mag and optic off before putting guns away in the safe 

CW:

Happened with a old Railway of mine.  The type that is not click adjustable.  A new battery would go about a week turned off and would be drained.  Vampire.

I have a click adjustable railway that is no problem so maybe it is a switch that does not positively shut off with the non click adjustable Railways.  

I also have a RTS2 that doesn't have this problem.

The PITA is removing a battery from a Railway as opposed to a RTS.  

Still, I don't care for the idea that even when turned off it is draining the battery.  No excuse. 

You really have only two choices.  Keep it and remove the battery over and over or see if C More will authorize a return.

GG

I've got 3 RTS2 dots and all will last a season, could be your dot. It could also be your batteries as well, I once ordered a 10 pack from a large mail order retailer and all were defective, none had the correct voltage when they were new. I believe they were counterfeit. Now I only buy single batteries or two packs from big box hardware stores and have had good luck.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not an RTS2 but my Railway Battery died Sunday.  It was a brand new battery that I put in before leaving the house and I tested it.  When I got to the first stage, being the first shooter, I had no dot.  Only time I didn't bring my big shooting bag so I had no tools, no extra batteries and no second gun with me.

Sometimes you just get a bad battery.  I put a new one in today and tested it in the morning and again at night.  It's still working.  I get about 4 months from one battery.

My CR2032 batteries seem to last over a year in my other dots.

Turn it off after the shoot, and replace the battery every season, you've got a nice pistol, and a lot of pricy accessories, so a couple of bucks a year for a battery shouldn't hurt. I have two Ruger's set-up almost identical to yours, never had a problem during a season.

• 2 months later...

I shot a whole season with my RTS2 and it was never dead. 20+ matches with it on all day 6-7 hrs at a time. I replaced the battery just because I’m weird but never had a dead battery issue. I would say you may have gotten a crumby batch of batteries or the optic is malfunctioning. CMore has a decent warranty program, I would give them a call

I think the RTS2 is hit or miss in battery life. I had one, V4, that would eat a battery every 3 weeks or so. Literally a match and couple of practice sessions was all you got. Tried various battery brands with same results. It got sent back. Current RTS2 seems to be fine as you would expect. I’ve never had battery problems with any other RDS other than Railways, but that has always been their thing.