Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Close Friend

j1b

After a great Thanksgiving weekend I've learned that a close friend, a hunting partner for the past 15 years, decided to take his life.

None of you know him. None of you would.

He was an incredible outdoorsman, a close friend, and a true representation of a great man.

Today, my eye's are sore and my heart is heavy with the grief of such a tremendous loss. I never told him how much he meant to me. I Know I should have because I doubt he truly knew how I or the many others really felt about him.

As I go through life I understand that even great men are not perfect. I wish my friend had chosen a different path. He did not though.

To that end I refuse to think of this as anything other than him finding his own path. His own will will take him where he's going.

To my friend Greg, I love you. I miss you already. You are a great man, a man to look up to. I know you are out there, in the plains of Alaska chasing that bull Caribou. I can see you now with that comfortable grin and the knowledge that you are where you need to be.

To the forum, I've cried on my wife's shoulder, I've cried on the phone with my father. I am so heavy with grief that I guess I'm crying to you now. Outside of the loss of this great man the next feeling is I wish I'd done something different.

Greg, you were a great man. I will work my hardest to insure that all know that. That I lead by your example. That in fact, you will never die because your spirit will live through me.

Happy Hunting my friend.

Jack

Jack,

I had a friend do the same thing about 4 years ago. No note and nothing that would have led anyone to believe that they were having trouble. I went through the same feelings that you are having, I kept thinking that there was something I could have done or something I should have noticed. It realy knocked me down for a long while. The only thing I can tell you is time helped and all you can do now is be there for his family and friends.

Stay Strong,

Robbie

Greg, you were a great man. I will work my hardest to insure that all know that. That I lead by your example. That in fact, you will never die because your spirit will live through me.

Happy Hunting my friend.

Jack

That is a beautiful tribute Jack. Thank you for sharing.

be

Wow...

I can only imagine how I would feel if a close, 15 year friend unexpectedly took his/her life....

Jack, as terrible as you must feel, you have to understand that he apparently didn't want you to intervene. A few things that come to mind....

You could do nothing.

That's the way he wanted it.

You were a good friend to him.

I'm sorry,

Tom

Hey Jack,

Thanks for sharing. At your age ( not that much younger that me) a 15 year friend is someone that you know pretty damn well. Can't imagine what your feeling now.

Hope this isn't insensitive, but when I read your tribute to your friend I thought of the movie ' Stealing Parsons'. I only bring this to light because I think if I were in your place that movie would be good medicine for me. If you haven't seen it it is a comedy. But it's also based on an actual event that one friend did for another. Might be worth a look if your interested.

Take care,

James.

Thanks to all. Especially for all the advice. The last few days have been a struggle but the truth is that we're getting through them.

Greg's wife is currently of the position that she wants every damn gun out of her house and so she's going to sell all of them.

Personally I'll be buying the gun he used on our last hunt. Ironically I just bought one last year but I still want to own his. I've got some things in mind to help me show my respect and regard for him.

On that note I suspect in the near future I'll be putting a bunch of guns up for sale. I won't say that any of them are going to be steals because I won't take advantage of Greg or his wife like that. I will be posting them though and hopefully some of you will be interested.

I can attest that owning any gun of Greg's would be a true honor. Rest assured that gun has rested in the hands of the best woodsman and the best hunter I've ever known.

Anyhow, Thank You to all. I've not come to reason with all of this but I'm making my way. You all have helped.

Jack

• 11 months later...

Hard to believe its been a year already.

An ending to the chapter though. Just got back from Kodiak on a hunt with Dad and my brother. We stayed with Greg's wife in town before heading out to camp. I picked up the last gun he hunted with (with us). It was something I wanted - I'll hang it in the game room as a tribute. Ironically I bought the same rifle a 18 months ago because I liked his so much. It was the only rifle I took up.

We were out in the bush for a week. I shot two bucks. Three days in we decided to hike to a bowl Dad and I hadn't ever been to. It was a few miles in. When we cleared the crest dad saw a nice buck and shot him. As we hiked down, I looked up and saw another nice buck. Despite the distance, I knew we wouldn't see another like him so I decided to take him. Dad opted to call it "two bucks Canyon." Once we processed the animals and had them in packs we made the long trek back to camp. Along the way, for the first time ever in my hunting lifetime, I came across a full rack under an alder bush. Obviously an old buck that had opted to pass on there.

It was a really nice rack, so I picked it up and carried it back in hand. As we hiked back, a year after he passed, and with his rifle safe in a gun case back in camp, I decide I must have found Greg's buck. I guess he was there with us all along.

As it turns out my buck was the largest we'd shot last week. Once we measured them though, it turned out Greg's was the best of the group.

The rifle will now be mounted with that rack hanging proudly above it.

Still miss him. Think of him almost daily. This hunt was hard without him, but a great way to celebrate his life.

I guess when I told him happy hunting he took me up on it.

Happy hunting friend,

J