Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ever Lose A Slide Stop

Flyin40

I was at a local match last month, the last one for me for the year. I wasn't even planning on going but I got an email from Flex and wanted to see everyone for one last time until the spring. I hadn't touched my gun except for one local match since Area 5. I knew coming down my only goal was to have fun which for me fun is pushing myself to the extreme. It started fine, I knew the gameplan I was going to use for the stage and everything. The buzzer went off and I went off at full tilt. Engaged the first 2 targets on the run as I went by and pulled the gun back to go around 2 barrel to engage the 3rd targets. I engaged that target then continued on to a short wall to engage another array.

I made it to the wall but my gun wouldn't go off. I tried to rack the slide but no luck, I dropped the mag and tried to clear what I thought was a jam. As I looked closer my slide was forward. At that point I realized I had no slide stop and I grabbed my slide before it fell off onto the ground. Luckly another shooter found my slide stop in the grass and I contiinued shooting all the other stages.

So heres what happened, after engaging the first 2 targets I pulled the gun back as I hugged the barrels closely and when I came around the barrels (I can remember this clearly) I pushed the gun straight toward the target, I mean I really pushed it out there. Well being left handed and pushing so hard my thumb hit the sliide stop and the other side loosening it. I shot twice and it fell out. I had no clue so when I approached the next target and the gun didn't fire I thought I had a jam.

I took the gun over to the safety area and quickly removed the end of slide stop with a file so it wouldn't stick out as much.

BTW I shoot an STI so I really had to get my thumb down in thier to push that slide stop out. Still had a great time.

Flyin40

Its sucks when parts fly off your gun in the middle of a stage. Last week my front sight flew off on one of the stages of the match I was shooting. That was a wierd experience...

Edited by Airic

Your slide stop is damaged, or just plain not right.

The stop has a notch that rides the inside of the slide. = That is why it will only come out when you lind it up with the notch in the slide. Sticking out on the right side should make very little difrenc. It is important to have one that is sized for your link. But a drop in would probly be better thatn a broken one. = Falling out is not somthing that is good in any way.

Edited by AlamoShooter

It is a PITA to loose a slide stop. I was at a local match and about the same thing happened to me, Engaged the first array. Did a reload - one shot and the gun wouldn't go bang. Tried racking the slide and it wouldn't. Kept at itbecause I couln't make the connection that my gun might be broke. Finally the RO stopped me. Went to the safe area and got the gun open. One of the guys from my squad found the slide stop and I was able to finish the match.

Same club different match at LAMR put the mag in, racked the slide and when I let it go forward the fiber optic light pipe went flying out on the ground. Asked the RO to be put on the bottom of the order. Went to the safe area and put in a new pipe.

Ain't this sport grand? :blink:

I've broken 2 slide stops on my CZ, both during matches, does that count?. In both cases I was able to finish the stage because the crosspin broke and the left side left the gun, but the right side stub of a pin stayed in held by its spring and continued to do its job, though with the occasianal jam.

I've never had the slide stop come out completely, but I had one start to come out during a stage, and that is one hell of a jam to clear. I finially figured out what was wrong, but it turned a good run into a "Wow he actually Finished the Stage" kind of run. Sucks.

How about losing the cylinder off of a revolver during a stage??? The screw retaining the yoke had come loose. During a reload -- the cylinder is opened -- empty cases are dumped out -- the barrel is pointed down the ground to load a fresh moon clip -- the cylinder assembly slides down and hits the ground. After an expetive or two, holster the clearly empty gun, pick up the cylinder and go to the safe area.

Net result -- DNF for the course

Lesson learned -- Make sure that screw is tight

How about losing the cylinder off of a revolver during a stage??? The screw retaining the yoke had come loose. During a reload -- the cylinder is opened -- empty cases are dumped out -- the barrel is pointed down the ground to load a fresh moon clip -- the cylinder assembly slides down and hits the ground. After an expetive or two, holster the clearly empty gun, pick up the cylinder and go to the safe area.

Net result -- DNF for the course

Lesson learned -- Make sure that screw is tight

Yep! I watched my friend Greg (Username Mooney) do that at a match earlier this year. Quite a learning experience.

:o

Happened to me, too, on my Para. The stop came out and the slide nearly came off the receiver as it went back into and through the in battery position.

Diagnosis: frame rail crack right at the cut out for the slide stop. Interestingly enough, I left the rail alone and have yet to have the malfunction recur.

Tempting fate, I guess... :P

kevin c

So heres what happened, after engaging the first 2 targets I pulled the gun back as I hugged the barrels closely and when I came around the barrels (I can remember this clearly) I pushed the gun straight toward the target, I mean I really pushed it out there. Well being left handed and pushing so hard my thumb hit the sliide stop and the other side loosening it. I shot twice and it fell out. I had no clue so when I approached the next target and the gun didn't fire I thought I had a jam. Flyin40

I bit of drift here...but a tip for John.

Instead of going down the left-hand side of that shooting lane, I hung to the right. This let me engage those 3 targets more like they were one array. The barrel was never a factor. Should have proven a bit faster as well as less tense (and, only adding a couple of yards to the short shots).

I've never had the slide stop come out completely, but I had one start to come out during a stage, and that is one hell of a jam to clear. I finially figured out what was wrong, but it turned a good run into a "Wow he actually Finished the Stage" kind of run. Sucks.

Same story - but it took me at least a full minute to figure it out...Duh!

STI Edge - near new. Never happened again,,?

When STI was useing the 2 piece slide stop I had the screw back out letting the lever fall off, When I was showing clear the pin was sticking about 1/2 inch out the right side of the gun, no jam. New screw and locktite. 2 or three matches later the screw sheared off, lost the lever and a jam from hell . Ed Brown from then on.-----Larry

Guilty as charged!!! :o

Once I was shooting a very high round count (over 70,000) single stack 1911, which always shot great in spite of the "senior standing/ranking".

Well, the match is over and I must show clear. Out comes the mag. Then as usual I put the trigger finger to the side of the frame, canted the gun to the left at a 90 degree angle (positioning the slide stop vertical), to show the empty chamber to the RO. Once the ok is given by the RO I rode the slide down slowly, the gun still at a full cant. But unknown to me I am putting a bit of pressure on the reverse side of the slide stop as I slowly ride the slide down. As the gun reaches battery the slide continues down into the ground, right next to the fallen slide stop.

The RO laughs and tells me he is considering giving me a "half DQ" for dropping half the gun in the ground. <_<:wacko::D

Had the slide stop part way out jam from hell thing several years ago. Trashed two stages with it one match. Cut a detent in the slide stop, and figured I'd fixed it. Next match it happened again. I popped the mag out into my left hand, and wished for a hammer. Spotted the big Dawson base pad. Held the gun up pointed into the berm, and smacked the slide stop hard with the base of the mag. Dropped the mag, loaded a fresh one and finished the stage. Got a new EGW slide stop, and never had it happen again.

Edited by wide45

I've seen this happen twice to two different people shooting single stacks. I never heard what the final diagnosis was. I thought this would be a rare thing, but it starting to sound like it's not uncommon. Just another thing to worry about I guess ... I'm sure it won't take long before someone shooting glock will chime in with "this has never happened to me before :P " :rolleyes:

The RO laughs and tells me he is considering giving me a "half DQ" for dropping half the gun in the ground. <_<:wacko::D

But the "frame is the gun " :lol::lol:

That is funny I wish I would have seen it. :l

We started talking about that very thing after if happened. My slide could of easily fell off with the round still in the chamber tumbling end over end. Muzzle uprange

:blink::blink:

But the "frame is the gun " :lol::lol:

That is funny I wish I would have seen it. :l

We started talking about that very thing after if happened. My slide could of easily fell off with the round still in the chamber tumbling end over end. Muzzle uprange

:blink::blink:

EEK That would be bad!

John Are you sure you didn't push it out so that you would have an excuse?

;)B):lol:

Edited by BSeevers

See Rule 10.5.2

Look like you can point the receiver any wich way you like. Muzzle breaks the 180, DQ time.

Technically, the receiver is the firearm, so you can legally drop everything but the frame without penalty.

:rolleyes::blink::unsure: